Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What pedal is your secret weapon of tone?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by scout2112, Sep 12, 2018.

1. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Volume. Turn the amps up. It is a secret that all sound guys hate.

2. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    What's your reference for the Beatles' live tones? I thought no one could hear them play live over all the screaming and that's why they stopped touring. For what it's worth, the Beatles' guitars often use compression on the recordings. The Beatles' guitar sounds are a major case for using compression, to get fatness and sustain with less distortion. Check out the lead guitar on "Nowhere Man." That's a lot of compression!

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Here: no screaming girls and LIVE:

I know they used compression on the studio recordings. Again, I'm talking about their live sounds/tones and natural amp with speaker compression.

4. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I like those tones, too.

5. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    Got a pile of pedals, got fed up one day and unplugged them all and hey, got my tone back.

6. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Pedals are for effect, to change or enhance the sound coming from the amp. My hands create my tone. Nothing ELSE PERIOD!!! When will you guys chasing tone realize that this is the TRUTH whether you like it or not. No pedal can be a substitute for practice and TALENT. You can't BUY your tone, only YOU can create it....ymmv....this just gets silly....

RJ

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I have no secret weapon of tone. My base tone comes from me my guitar and my amp, with effects pedals only used to “effect” my base tone, but not to create it.

No matter what gear I have used over the years, I somehow always sound a whole lot like me. I have better tone than I used to, but not so much just because I have more and better gear.

I’m simply a better player than I once was.

bluesholyman likes this.
  8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    I don't know that I have a secret weapon of tone, or even if such a thing exists. However, I would consider certain pedals as Secret Weapons of Inspiration - ones that inspire playing and new songs to form. It is fair to say that the pedal changes from time to time.

My current one would be a Fulltone SoulBender 2...founds some great sounds out of this that led to a couple songs I am working on now...

9. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    As high power of an amp as I can haul, or as low power as I can play and be heard. With a VT-22 with altecs set to 2, I can pound the front end, and never distort. It's perfect for articulation or pedals. Same with my cts alnico equipped Super Six Reverb, Boogie Mark III Simulclass combo with Altec, and my 400 PS amps...

A 5 watt amp mic'd up also has a special feel to it. No sag what so ever, but beautifully dynamic in overdrive and touch sensitivity. Great compression clean too.

10. Dankas

Dankas NEW MEMBER!

Apr 18, 2016
    Croatia
    Atomic Brain! It is always ON

tho618 likes this.
  11. BillB

BillB TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Delaware OH
    MXR Dyna-Comp.

12. hoboroadie

hoboroadie TDPRI Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Bezerkeley
    I dunno whose tones I am finding but the propaganda that came with my Jext Telez White Pedal indicates that it has some Beatle tones in there. Boost, Fuzz, and a MRB-Wah thing. Pretty nice response when I twiddle, and I like to pretend it makes my JC 120 sound like a Vox Conqueror.
    I am exploring Mid Range Boost stuff. Got an SP-1 Spectrum, and hoping to get my Super Beatle back up and running. I plan to try several different Wahs, its all still very new to me.

King Creole likes this.
  13. hoboroadie

hoboroadie TDPRI Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Bezerkeley
    Sounds like you could save a bunch of energy by not plugging in. YMMV. The tone I am after does involve some transducers. Again, YMMV.

scout2112 likes this.
  14. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Canada
    Boss FB-2 Feedbacker/Booster... my secret weapon!

IMG_6189.JPG
    IMG_6196.JPG

15. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle

Where do you get that? I need one now!

krowbot and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Boss hired samurais to develop it back in the early 80's.
    Silver screw, premium resistors hand rolled by only the finest Geisha girls.
    I plugged in and still sounded like me.:cry:

It's just a gag generic pic I found online.:)

Misty Mountain likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    In the spirit of this thread I've tried to narrow down which low gain not to gritty OD pedal boosts my low gain non master volume tube amp to distort at lower but still feedback level volume.

Seems like I have ten of them that do the job, and recordings of those sounds sound pretty near the same.

And of course a little analog delay...

It's great to have so many secret weapons of tone!

kevsonic likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

phase shifter... set it subtle... leave it on.. fixes everything.

W.L.Weller and archtop_fjk like this.
  19. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Colorado, USA
    While I agree with your concept to a point, @hoboroadie said it best. We're playing electric guitars and every circuit that comes between the guitar and the speakers is going to make some sort of a difference, whether those circuits reside inside your amp or outside of it in a little box.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

let us know when you sight land Captain! We'll await your orders!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.