Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What pedal is your secret weapon of tone?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by scout2112, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Rextrade

Rextrade TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Chase Tone Secret Pre-amp. I’ve only had it for a little over a week, but wow, brings my entire rig alive. The one pedal I would whole-heartedly recommend to anyone with any amp/guitar set-up.

2. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you....

Zeonoid and JustABluesGuy like this.
  3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Hermida Reverb - the one-knob version.

4. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Simple: a Fender ABY pedal. Let’s me play through the Normal or the Top Boost channel of my AC15C1 — or both! That’s 90% of my tone there. (The rest is using chorus occasionally, and the Vox tremolo at key moments.)

tho618 and richiek65 like this.
  5. Flooding Rivers

Flooding Rivers TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Brighton, UK
    I have a McSpunckle And Aardvarks! (yes, the exclamation mark is part of the name) which I have on all the time and basically use as a pre-amp to make my Tele sound more Tele-ish. From what I can find out about this pedal it's a SHO with diode clipping, and it's the only drive pedal I've ever played through that doesn't have the Tube Screamer mid-range hump, which I've never liked. So basically it's adding a touch of grit and a bit of treble for maximum twanginess. The Dispatch Master is my other always-on pedal but that's because I'm a reverb junkie...

6. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2011
    Turdcaster, WA
    I has a small but efficient arsenal and the secret weapon of choice is dependent on the tonez

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Blackstone Appliances MOSFET Overdrive.

I got it because I couldn’t overdrive my tube amps at home. And now that I have a Mustang III modelling amp, I found a new use for it—it adds in more tube amp feel to the modelled amps.

8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Sterio delay

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    It's not a pedal for me, but the Celestion Alnico Cream is my secret weapon of tone.

hoboroadie likes this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I had to think long and hard about this but my secret weapon is a second delay, in my case a TC Alter Ego V2 using a Tone Print (Albert Lee, I think). I set it for about 125-150ms. with three repeats, just barely audible, in the loop of my amp. It adds a nice depth and fullness to my sound.

11. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Hardly a rare or a secret to anyone, but I've been using a simple Boss EQ pedal for solo boost. You can adjust the ouptut and tailor the EQ to avoid shrill or mud in any situation. Used to use a EHX line boost, but this is more flexible.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  12. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2016
    Duarte, CA
    J. Rockett "The Dude"

bluesholyman likes this.
  13. logans_tele

logans_tele TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Whatever EQ and tone knobs are on the amp... but other than that, my Timmy.

14. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    [​IMG]

I use it in bypass position as a buffer / splitter.
    I prefer it to the buffers in Boss or Ibanez FX, and it rivals the one in my Archer clone.

Zeonoid likes this.
  15. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    My pedal base consists of an old Ibanez volume pedal, an old Marshall Blues Breaker pedal and a Digitech Hardwire delay. At times, I just plug straight in and other times, even though the pedals are there, they don't get much use.

Out of the three, I'd say the secret weapon is the Digitech delay. I usually have it set for modulated delay and tweak things until the basic guitar tone shines through and the fat, delicious tone of decaying warbles inspires me. First, it causes me to slow down. Once that happens, I can explore new voicing's, etc. The main thing is it inspires me to play.

As one who was very happy with an early 80's Ibanez AD-80 and a mid 80's Arion SAD-1, the various delays tones inside this pedal amaze me. I still love the old analog stuff, but I'm really digging what I'm hearing with this (probably way out of fashion now!) Hardwire pedal.

16. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Pretty much this.
    My main guitar and my amp are the base. But I like to add a different colour here and there....

17. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2018
    Washington, UK
    Either my antique Boss OD-1 or my Mooer Hustle Drive/Eno Trouble. I should just buy an OCD!

18. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Philadelphia
    Boss LS-2 Line Selector so I can run a bit of dry signal in parallel with FX.

19. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Subdecay Flying Tomato Mutant Fuzz 2.0

Here are my initial thoughts that I posted to TDPRI back in 2008. The past ten years have brought no changes to this except I've found this pedal to be even more versatile. From dirty boost to distortion to smooth fuzz to ugly sputtering fuzz. Love this pedal.

[​IMG]

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Maybe an odd choice: The API "tranzformer LX." It's basically an API channel strip in a pedal. It's a preamp pedal with studio eq and a compressor. It sounds like an API board.

I use it through the amp and also as a DI: it does both tings at once, so I get a really great tone through the amp and a really great DI signal. I don't always take it with me because it's big and heavy, but t's great at home. It's exactly like a secret sauce that makes everything tastes better. Tastes good without it: tastes a little better with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.