Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What pedal is your secret weapon of tone?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by scout2112, Sep 12, 2018.

1. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    Besides my amp I have 3 main pedals I use for volume, and dynamics control, but I don't get stuck into 1 way of doing things, but I like this signal path.

Roger Mayer 4644 Drive into EHX Blackfinger into Roger Mayer RM58.

2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    BOSS CS-2...

I run it really late in my chain and keep it subtle... just like I would apply a studio compressor during recording.
    It takes the sizzle off the highs and adds depth and richness to the lower mids.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Doesn't the latest Boss tuner have a switch for vintage and modern buffer tones?

Interesting settings on your Drive Master, I may try them, can't get mine to satisfy...

4. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Vintage SS Blackfinger or the modern tube version?

mabley123 likes this.

5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    For me, joyo copy of the ibanez TS (I don't know if that's the generic that I use, or if someone else made it - I can't keep track of all of the chinese pedal makers). Whatever one it is, it's the TS clone with a toggle switch to make the TS sound different. Go figure, I like only the original sound.

either that or the BD-2. BD-2 is niiiice.

4pickupguy likes this.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    I was a long-time compression pedal user. It now sits on a shelf.

But my heroes like the Beatles didn't use them (compressors) live, and they got great tones. So I bought this shrunken down AC30: the VOX AC4HW1, and retrofitted the essential Celestion Blue alnico.

I get a beautiful and natural compression and sustain, without window-breaking decibels.

upload_2018-9-13_9-19-0.jpeg

zippofan and jddub440 like this.

7. D_Malone

D_Malone TDPRI Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Ferndale, MI
    For me a pedal looper is a must have. The ability the switch between different combinations of pedals with a single stomp makes life so much easier.

4pickupguy likes this.

8. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    For me, it's the Xotic SP Compressor. It's my only "always on" pedal.

9. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    Beat me to it. This was my exact response.

10. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Not the same choices but I do choose my response and degree of compression with amp and speakers, in my case a cathode biased tube rectified 18w TMB has just enough squeeze and punch in equal measures through a Celestion Gold and a vintage Jensen P12N alnico.

Though today I was playing through an Orange OR15 into a single Gold, which is a bit more compressed due to preamp tube distortion.

ZackyDog likes this.

11. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    For years I’ve been stamping on my mxr carbon copy during solos so that would be one. My other main one is the modulated setting on the boss rv6.

12. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

Sep 10, 2012
    Lithuania, Vilnius
    None to be fair. There is not a single pedal that would define my tone. Phase 90 is the one I can’t replace, but I can play with just single dirt pedal (a few rotating candidates), so none at the moment:)

13. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    DynaComp is the only pedal I use and have used since the mid-seventies. It is key to my tone!

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    THAT setting has a reason: TS808 is always ON. Amp is a Marshall JCM900 MKIII Dual Master (Not the Dual Reverb ). Amp is setted mostly clean starting to break depending on the strum. Is the 100 watter so I have plenty of headroom.

I have TWO masters, A and B. Master A is crunch base with the TS808. The second master, B, is higher, for solos. But I need some extra punch so I have the grey/silver pedal that happens to be a looper/switcher. Drive master is always ON but it only comes when I swicth Master B via grey pedal. Is much easier than stepping on the chanel switch and then stepping on the Drivemaster.

I am saying all this thing because maybe this setting doen't work if the Drive Master is on his own. This setting works, for me, on a High volume Marshall amp with a TS808 in front of the Drivemaster.

Just as a tip I find the Drivemaster really usable on low gain settings, first pot on the left, you know. Using the Volume pot you drive the amp nicer than using gain pot... My opinion, my taste, my rig...

telemnemonics likes this.

15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I'm kind of envious of players who have a go-to or secret weapon rig or piece of gear, because I never really have, now that I think about it.

Don't get me wrong - I have stuff that I favor, and for the most part, I've been using the same or similar things for years.

...Having said that, knowing what makes a complete rig work for me, I know I can sub some bits and bobs out, and they'll work equally as well. So it typically starts off with a Tele at one end, but the pedals can vary, and they essentially are chosen based on whatever amp that I've decided is the best fit for the job. I'm not one of those guys who can adjust any given drive box to get a similar sound out of any of them, but I definitely subdivide them into a few different categories that suit my purposes (e.g. I'd never try to use a DS-1 to ape the sounds of a Bluesbreaker).

I have a handful of pedals that I've irrationally coveted for quite a few years, but I could never think of them as being something I'd choose for secret weapon tones. They're more like some valuable old bottle of wine that's saved for special occasions, but would never be shared at a banquet with hundreds of invitees, if that makes any kind of sense...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    The 3 I've used pretty consistently over the years with my Peavey Bandit and direct-in recording have been a Sansamp GT2, Snarling Dogs VeryTone and DOD EchoFX. Unfortunately, the EchoFX bit the dust a couple of years ago and I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas

18. d-rock

d-rock Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2006
    Smithville
    Tech21 Liverpool

I use it to go direct with electric guitar, bass and Fender Rhodes. It's a really great preamp. Loved it so much that I bought a second one.

D_Malone likes this.

19. D_Malone

D_Malone TDPRI Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Ferndale, MI
    I gave mine to the other guitarist in our band like an idiot. That really is a great sounding box. I'm gonna have to get another dangit.

20. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Western New York
    Wampler Velvet Fuzz. It sounds great alone but when I stack it with my Tumnus Deluxe and/or Dracarys it just adds that extra something special.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.