Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What pedal is your secret weapon of tone?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by scout2112, Sep 12, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    analog delay so I don't have to listen to that silly Fender boinging spring effect.

codamedia and Nick Fanis like this.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK

3. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Nov 13, 2010
    USA
    My MXR Micro Amp is on 100% of the time. Just one knob, always on.

I don't actually know what exactly it does to my tone, but I love the sound of it. It makes it seem like my amp is just on the edge of breakup, but not broken up yet. It pushes my fuzz and distortion pedals really nicely. I think it might compress my signal the slightest amount, and it adds a tiny sparkle. Whatever it's doing, I don't want it to stop! My bandmate thinks it's stupid because it "doesn't do anything fun", but I think it's easily my best pedal, and most used.

Fiesta Red and Guitarteach like this.

4. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Silver City, NM
    Ditto. '70 Bassman. DS-1 when I want to take it up a notch (or more).

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My amp, an Ethos preamp/OD. I like to think MY tone has more to do with my guitar than any other gear.

6. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    Joyo American Sound. with or without an amp.

A.B.Negative likes this.

7. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    53541016-FFB8-45AA-9899-F5EE9940F402.jpeg This. It’s not a pedal but my NY Blues tone capsule which is installed on my Roland BC Artist. I’m with the camp that gets its base tone from the amp rather than from analog or DSP pedals. In my view, pedals should simply add something to an already great tone and not be the source of tone for a clean amp (which becomes a glorified PA for your guitar).

8. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    White Horse certainly is one my top pedals, MOSFET preamp, bass filter and optical sustainer all in one.

My EHX 2ube is really my #1, just use it as a 1in/2out tube boost with a couple of rca cleartop 12au7 in it feeding a pair of amps. It really does that Keef breakup on up to Blackmore crunch. To big and power hungry for most board users but works for my home playing, especially with wet/dry amps. I can dial up a bit more crunch on dry side with driving wet side to hard.

Run that White Horse into that real tube splitter and damnnnn, endless sustain, not really dirty, unless of course you bear down on fretboard, then it just snarls at you then pulls back to edge of clean sustain.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    telemnemonics and Obsessed like this.

10. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I can't claim to have "a tone" but I do like the way my amp sounds (Dr Z Maz 18 Jr) without pedals. If I use pedals (I'm a learner / home player only) I like my Keeley Compressor+ and the tremolo, chorus and delay pedals I have.

11. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Well... those cannot compare to the vintages Boss TU2

Actually I use one!!

[​IMG]

thefruitfarmer and Fiesta Red like this.

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    My amp, Blackface 65 PRRI. Just sounds like an amp should.

13. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    Amptweaker Tight Drive Jr.

My guitar to amp tone is a very clean base, with high headroom ”blackface’ish” sounding. Its enough to be happy with.

But i do like that i can add any (good quality and well made) preamp or amp in a box type of pedal, without changing my amp.

Currently the Tight Drive Jr is my sound, can go from plexi sounding to neutral to TS into a breaking up amp type of sounds. Gives me alot of options and sounds great into a clean amp.

14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    My BOSS CS-3 Compressor Sustainer.
    Love this pedal (blue one, on the middle-right in my pedal assembly).
    :)

2018 pedals.jpg

15. Beaner

Beaner TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Australia
    My Neo Ventilator is my thing. I’ve been wild about the OD Leslie sound for 40 years. Luckily, some guy in Melbourne decided to sell his Ventilator cheap. They’re about $1000 here! Check out That Pedal Show Leslie episode on YouTube.

16. Beaner

Beaner TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Australia
    Good man. I’ve been using compressors since the 70s but people told me that I was crazy. Finally, people are starting to understand compressors, transparent OD, and lowish powered amps.

17. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm not a big pedal guy, but I occasionally break out the Boss SD1 and the MXR phase 95 on the most subtle setting possible. Just fattens things up a little.

18. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2012
    marysville

19. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Whichever one I bought yesterday...

zippofan, Frontier9 and Chunkocaster like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.