Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Neck Pickup for my Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Blair R, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:13 PM.

1. Blair R

Blair R TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Scotland
    Hey guys, i own an American special Tele with a Dimarzio chopper t in the bridge and a Fender Texas special pickup in the neck but I would like to change it for something a bit different like a humbucker, single coil sized humbucker or P90.

Ideally i would like to stick with Dimarzio but I'm open to other suggestions.

I would like the pickup to have clarity and articulation under gain and on the clean channel and it also cannot be muddy when playing rhythm and lead on the lower frets. I play mainly hard rock, Classic rock, blues and big band jazz so it would be great for the pickup to sound good in all these genres.
    I have e-mailed Dimarzio already and they suggested the Satch track for the neck position, but i would like to get your opinions on other possibilities.
    I would like the pickup that pairs well with the chopper in the bridge as i am keeping that pickup in there.

Cheers.

2. LKNJ

LKNJ TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    I'm a big DiMarzio fan, and I've found that for me, the best Tele neck pickup is the DiMarzio Minibucker. It's very articulate and clear sounding, with a lot of pop. Excellent dynamic range for a humbucker, and plenty of output to compete with the Chopper T. It works equally well whether I'm playing clean, overdriven, or full on distortion. I also really like their Bluesbucker for the neck position - not only does it sound great, but it's got one of the best coil split sounds I've ever heard.

Blair R likes this.

3. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I love DiMarzio pickups too!

Blair R likes this.

4. Blair R

Blair R TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Scotland
    Thanks for the reply's guys.

What value pots would you use with either of these?

5. LKNJ

LKNJ TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    I've used them with both 250 and 500k. I, personally, like 500k a little more, but it's not a drastic difference.

kookaburra likes this.

6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    What would the difference be? Does one tend toward a single coilish sound, and the other more humbuckerish in nature. That is to say, bright vs warm...

7. LKNJ

LKNJ TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    yeah, the 500k was a tiny bit brighter. Like I said, not a huge difference - if one of those works better with your bridge pickup, I wouldn't change it to accommodate the Minibucker. Also, I believe DiMarzio recommends 300k pots. So, maybe that's a good middle ground.

kookaburra likes this.

8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Don't rule out thinking outside the box.

This 60s Tesico Pickup is staying.

[​IMG]

Blair R likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.