Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Neck Pickup for my Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Blair R, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Blair R

Blair R TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Scotland
    Hey guys, i own an American special Tele with a Dimarzio chopper t in the bridge and a Fender Texas special pickup in the neck but I would like to change it for something a bit different like a humbucker, single coil sized humbucker or P90.

Ideally i would like to stick with Dimarzio but I'm open to other suggestions.

I would like the pickup to have clarity and articulation under gain and on the clean channel and it also cannot be muddy when playing rhythm and lead on the lower frets. I play mainly hard rock, Classic rock, blues and big band jazz so it would be great for the pickup to sound good in all these genres.
    I have e-mailed Dimarzio already and they suggested the Satch track for the neck position, but i would like to get your opinions on other possibilities.
    I would like the pickup that pairs well with the chopper in the bridge as i am keeping that pickup in there.

Cheers.

2. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    I'm a big DiMarzio fan, and I've found that for me, the best Tele neck pickup is the DiMarzio Minibucker. It's very articulate and clear sounding, with a lot of pop. Excellent dynamic range for a humbucker, and plenty of output to compete with the Chopper T. It works equally well whether I'm playing clean, overdriven, or full on distortion. I also really like their Bluesbucker for the neck position - not only does it sound great, but it's got one of the best coil split sounds I've ever heard.

Blair R likes this.

3. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I love DiMarzio pickups too!

chemobrain and Blair R like this.

4. Blair R

Blair R TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Scotland
    Thanks for the reply's guys.

What value pots would you use with either of these?

5. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    I've used them with both 250 and 500k. I, personally, like 500k a little more, but it's not a drastic difference.

kookaburra likes this.

6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    What would the difference be? Does one tend toward a single coilish sound, and the other more humbuckerish in nature. That is to say, bright vs warm...

7. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    yeah, the 500k was a tiny bit brighter. Like I said, not a huge difference - if one of those works better with your bridge pickup, I wouldn't change it to accommodate the Minibucker. Also, I believe DiMarzio recommends 300k pots. So, maybe that's a good middle ground.

kookaburra likes this.

8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Don't rule out thinking outside the box.

This 60s Tesico Pickup is staying.

[​IMG]

9. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    this instrument , is that the Tim Leary Custom model, wow!
    Now you're sounding like David Linley , Tesico is hard to beat.

10. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It is My custom model. I just got the PU from a friend and used it in this particular build.

chemobrain likes this.

11. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    ;)

12. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    I'm not that familiar with DiMarzio, but you might want to check out Rio Grande's neck pickups. The Dirty Harry Jr is a lot of fun, P90ish warm cleans and nice grit when you push it. I'd recommend a Wilde Microcoil but I'm unsure if you can get the neck pickup separate from the set.

13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have an old Barden blade humbucker in my '52 RI. It's going nowhere ever. It's a little louder then the stock bridge pickup but it's not a problem for me.

15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA

16. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have a Strat size Bill Lawrence single blade as a middle with the GFS [Artek?] twin blade bridge and neck. It is a nice clear and strong response to it.
    I think I need to put in at the neck position of a Tele or Bridge of a Strat instead of the middle of a Nash-T.

17. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Cavalier Fat Lion King is worth a look. Just got one and I love it.

zippofan and Bruxist like this.

18. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I have a Fat Lioness and concur!

zippofan and El Tele Lobo like this.

19. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I've heard good things about the Fralin Big Single (humbucker sized single-coil). You should check that out:

I just installed a Cavalier Lioness (Lion without the cover) in the neck of a mahogany Thinline. By going without the cover, more highs can be had from the pickup.

Using 500k vol and 250k no-load tone pot, with a .015uf cap, I am getting plenty of articulate, bright highs from this neck pickup. Just enough, in fact, that I am enjoying getting some use of the tone pot where, with the .015uf cap, you can just take a little edge off -if you like- without getting any dullness or darkness. I think it's an ideal neck pickup set up this way.

With other neck pickups and pots, I always had my tone control permanently at 10 because any lower than that just didn't cut it for me. So, it's nice to have enough crystal articulate highs that you can actually use your tone control a little to dial in the perfect brightness. With the .015uF cap, when you roll off some tone, you only roll off the highest highs, you don't muddy up or dull down by cutting some of the lower frequencies that are cut when you use a higher value capacitor.

zippofan and El Tele Lobo like this.

20. AbisFjord

AbisFjord Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2017
    Texas
    Everyone knows by now that I use a Seth Lover SH-55 underwound humbucker. That is all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.