Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Mexican is this?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Torvald, Feb 10, 2018.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I'd wait for a sale @ Warmoth and order up a neck with 6105 Stainless frets and sell that MIM neck to partially fund. Over and done, unless you prefer other PUs for some reason. ;) Then get some Caviler ordered up.

As good a Tele as about anything at that point really. Not prestigious, but how much better a hammer does one need really.

Weight would be right in the middle, maybe lighter with a new neck and vintage tuners? I digress...

2. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    Robt57,
    Thats a very interesting thought. Maybe I'd use the neck on a homebuild. My brother has some nice alder seasoning right now. Hmm, a tele with a bucker in the neck?

3. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    My work is done here...

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Lol. One guitar turns into two!

I'd buy a second control plate, load it up with pots and a 4-way switch to put in this guitar, and then put the control plate you have here on your SH build.

5. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    :cool:

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Pretty color!

Yeah, the neck started life as part of some 2006 MIM Telecaster (not necessarily or even usually a special model, all 2006s have that) but notice, it appears to have some machine inserts. Most any replacement neck won't have that premium feature. Now, those inserts do have a downside (if the guitar fell, there's a high risk the heel could shatter, instead of the screws just ripping out) but people who have this custom upgrade are normally very impressed.

Before we go nuts for this Warmoth body, note that the shape is "proprietary" and kinda slimmed down and skimpier in shape than a genuine Fender body. You may not have many genuine FMIC bodies to distract you, but once you often see what the T body is supposed to look like, you may become annoyed with its "singular" variant shape/profile.

7. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    It's like someone did all the mods that would gave been on my wish list for me. Obviously the pawn shop didn't really know what it was. The threaded inserts would certainly made the list. Just dont know what the pickups really are. I'll have to take a closer look at tgemI didn't know that the Warmoth shape was different. Never had a telecaster or even played on before this.
    Excuse me I gotta go pra

8. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    Practice my Green Onions chops.

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    How does this factor in as far as Pick Guards fitting goes, are you aware? In other words don't Warmoth PGs fit FMIC bodies/PG drilling, etc?

10. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    I ordered a custom Strat guard from them and it fit all the Fender holes and around the neck pocket and bridge no problem, but there was something about it that didn’t look quite right; maybe a slightly different shape or slightly bigger in places. I can’t put my finger on it exactly, but I know it wasn’t 100% right.

boris bubbanov likes this.

11. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I am trying to remember if I had fit issues on the one Warmoth Tele guard I got 100 years ago. Don't recall any.

12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass

I bought a MIM several years ago. As soon as I got it (through “the bay”) I knew something was amiss. The neck was right, but, the body wasn’t.
    However, the color was nice and it felt good. The fact it was non-original gave me a test-bed for so many mods and even a re-rout.
    So much fun.
    I sold it and its parts... I still miss it.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, Warmoth has had a blanket warning that their pickguard may or may not look acceptable on a genuine Fender body.

The Warmoth body is slimmed down in a couple places and the horn is slimmer and smaller than any Fender or Squier body I can think of. You could hypothetically sand an unfinished Fender body down to match this Warmoth shape but you'd have to add wood back on somehow to get the Warmoth shape plumped up the way the typical Fender Tele body is - and this would apply to any Fender T body of any era - except that super early Leo bodies and many Squier bodies are of course a bit thinner over all. Even a G + L ASAT body is more similar in shape to a Fender than is this Warmoth (except, different pocket obviously). Oh, and Warmoth does now also offer a Vintage Shaped body that's quite accurate; they just don't do very many of them or didn't the last time I checked.

14. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    What pickups are in it? They are cloth wired.

15. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    I'll be pulling the pickups back out to get a better look at them and maybe posting pictures for help ID'ing them. They sound good but I don't have anything tele to compare them to. My Roadstar has a CS 69 in the neck and it may gave a slight edge on the tele, but its close.
    As far as the Warmoth body I consider it a significant upgrade from a Mexican body. Don't think I'll be green with envy any time soon.
    Fender did get back to me. Said that Seafoam Green was not an available color and that my serial number belonged to a left handed guitar! Not!

16. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Ruby Rhod: "Totally Green" :D:D:D

17. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Happy NGD!!! Either way, that color looks great!!!

John nailed it in the 2nd post!

There's countless teles with those replacement saddles. People used to post about that mod daily on TDPRI. Most did not care about whether intonation adjustments would be challenging because they were struck by 'Three-saddle Fever'.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Cool, real bolts for the neck.

19. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    Cool tele. I'd play it. Maybe get a USACG or warmoth neck to fully be a custom assembled guitar. ;) love the smaller warmoth bodies and that color on yours.

20. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    Pulled the pickups again. No markings of any kind. Just traditional looking magnets and wire. So no clue what they are. 20180213_180353.jpg

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.