Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What mess have I made this time?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Steve Holt, Nov 9, 2016.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Or rather what contradicts what we thought we knew. ;)

But that is what is good about this forum. Info galore, we just gotta figure out what/which of it is right and what isn't one we have figured out that just because it is on the internet does not make it so. ;)

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/rw-rp-question

I posted this awhile back explaining my problem and got this answer. Tomorrow I'm going to flip two wires around and see what happens!

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/rw-rp-question.679051/

Try that link instead!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. robt57

robt57 Telefied

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Thanks, but I am clear on my understanding. Figured it out by about the 15th guitar I made. ;)

6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I wasn't suggesting you were wrong. Just trying to figure out my own understanding.

7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    And also to see if you'd tell me if the info in that thread is correct!

8. robt57

robt57 Telefied

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I gotta pass on that, sorry. :oops:

9. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Not a problem.

10. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    You're probably right. Not all drawings are created equal. Some show grounds as symbols instead of pictorial wires. Some assume you're using a foil backed pickguard and rely on that for ground continuity, a really bad assumption. Some just assume you're going to bond everything anyway. Some drawings just get it wrong.

Tele-beeb and Steve Holt like this.
  11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I think I got it. At the very least I figure out my first mistake. I connected the 3 pots and that didn't solve the issue, and it didn't seem like any of the pots were fried. So I started over with new pots and in doing so I realized that I had hooked up the capacitor wrong on my first attempt. If you check out the pictures I posted you'll see that instead of having one side going to the ground and the other side connecting the two tone pots, I had one side going to the bridge tone, and the other side going to the neck tone AND the ground. I've got it right this time and I'm taking my time getting the rest wired. So I'll play with it some more tonight, but I don't have it all put back together yet.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's gonna work, I'm sure.

Steve Holt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.