Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What mess have I made this time?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Steve Holt, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    So I just finished my strat build a couple weeks ago and it's shaping up to be my favorite guitar. There are some small issues to work on (set up) but other than that I love the neck and how it plays. However I've been afraid to plug it in because I'm afraid I won't like how it sounds plugged in. Typically I just enjoy playing without an amp (weird I know) but I like plugging in to. So I've only plugged it in a few times and the last time I was really trying to test it out and see what kinds of sounds I could get when I noticed something odd. The tone knobs don't make any impact on the sound. It's the same whether it's at 0 or 10. As far as I know I wired everything right, and when it's plugged in there's no excess hum or feedback. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I bought the pots from the fender parts website, they're 250k.

2. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Sometimes too much heat can distort the wiper or the film so you're not getting any contact - making the pot useless.
    Pictures would help. Then we can see if you made a wiring mistake. If the tone pot is accidentally bypassed/disconnected you wouldn't get any weird sounds.

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    +1. Either wired wrong or ruined pots.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I had a buddy who always clipped an alligator above a solder to conduct the heat. I've always done since, was never sure if it mattered or not....

6. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's usually bad wiring.

Yeah, you can fry a pot, but if you're THAT bad at soldering (like me), chances are it's still just not connected right.

7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Thanks for the help from everyone. unfortunately I just haven't had time to crack it open and see what is wrong. some weekend soon I will...and then I'll get back here with some pictures.

8. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    One of the lugs on the tone pot(s) needs to be grounded. Either you forgot to bend it back against the body of the pot and solder it, or you forgot the jumper wires that tie the three pot backs together.

Steve Holt likes this.
  9. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I had never fried a pot before a month or so ago and I did just that with my MJT Tele build. Too much heat on the back of the pot for the ground wire. Or too many times as I was experimenting. It can happen.:(

Steve Holt likes this.
  10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    That's probably it. I always have such a hard time getting a wire soldered to the base of the pot. I probably just fried it doing that.

Steve Ouimette likes this.
  11. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Easy to do, and no shame in it at all. Happens. And pots are cheap so just pick up another one and go for it!

12. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Okay so it's been awhile but I finally found some free time to open the thing up and take a look. I checked the resistance on the pots the two tone pots are measuring close to 250 but the volume pot is only reading 6.19 but it's the tone pots that don't work while the volume does work. Also it looks like I missed the ground wire that connects the 3 pots together. Here's some pictures. I'm going to add that ground and see what happens. I also bought two new pots in case the any of them are fried. But from what my multimeter is showing ithe could be the volume. Any suggestions would be great!

20161230_213124.jpg 20161230_213127.jpg
    I had to disconnect the ground wire to the tremolo claw to be able to flip the pickguard over so I'll also be adding a longer wire to that! But it's not connected in the picture.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Yep, connect all three pot backs together, and ground the third leg of your volume pot and you should be good. The volume pot will measure 3K to 7K because you've got one or more pickups across it depending on your switch position, that's normal.

14. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Honestly I don't think that ground was listed on the diagram I used to wire it the first time. I could've sworn I checked it all! :lol:

I'll get the soldering iron out in the morning. I also made the mistake of not buying RW/RP pickups (also not potted) and I don't like them at all. So I'll be fixing that all at the same time. Then back to my other thread where I try to figure out the setup. I'll post of it worked!

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    One of my fav Strat PUs are CS 57/62s, all same wind/polarity. I am usually in the neck or bridge position anyway. Or really I am usually in the position where I have a Tele in position truthfully.

One Strat, [with 57/62s] many many Teles for some odd reason [he says as he about to pass 20k posts on a Tele site]

16. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I'm sure it's great for some and I thought I'd give it a try but I just couldn't take it. I like the 2 and 4 positions but didn't like them with the same wind and polarity. To each his own!

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    What didn't you like? The hum that all 3 get anyway when use alone? Same on a Tele, I use the noise cancelling position the least. I use the ones I like the tone/sound/use of mostly. In the case of a Tele neck and bridge. Although the in betweens on Strats with not so hot PUs gets that sweet what I call Teas cup tone. ;)

18. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    For me I get such a satisfying "crunch" on the in between positions when I'm playing through a tube amp. And the out of phase sounds just don't do it for me. Oddly enough I've got a strat (the yellow one in my picture) that I have wired to be able to throw the pickups in and out of phase like Brian mays red special. I like the sounds I can get out of it but it's nice have all the options. The neck and bridge pickup together is especially cool!

19. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas

20. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    The wind and polarity [as in RW/RP] and out of phase is two different things. Either Strat set with All the same or middle RW/RP can have out of phase wiring between two pickups. Sounds like accidentally you possibly experienced this and possibly think that no RW/RP relationship with two pickups in circuit at the same time is out of phase.

21. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Yeah that's possible. Who knows what's going on up in my head as every day I read something new that contradicts what I knew the day before ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.