Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What makes Les Paul headstocks susceptible to breaking off/cracking at the neck?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RoscoeElegante, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    What bugs me is that Gibson, historically, has no problem "breaking with tradition" with the Flying V, the Explorer, the Firebird (design and construction both), the PLEK nut, those silly robot tuners... and yet, when a "break with tradition" is absolutely desirable in the case of changing their stance on volutes or scarfs, they refuse.

Insanity.

pdmartin likes this.

2. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    I guess manufacturers don't make fine instruments with breaking them in mind. The buyer/ user needs to take care of the guitar and ensure it doesn't fall over and hit the headstock.

Dismalhead likes this.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I came from Camp Gibson to Camp Fender just a few years ago. I've owned plenty of Gibsons, used and abused them, and have never broken or cracked a neck.

4. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Except they did introduce at least three changes in response to an increase in headstock breaks in the mid 60s, and people moaned about how ugly the volutes were and how the laminated necks didn't sound as good, and eventually they gave up and went back to making them the old way. It's a no win situation for them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.