What is your preference...Rosewood or Maple fretboard and why?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 8, 2019.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

The size and shape of the neck is much more important than the fretboard material IMO.

ScribbleSomething and Gene O. like this.
  2. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

If I like the guitar, I'll take whatever's on it. The one-piece maple neck is one of the really cool design innovations that make Fender guitars what they are, but I do like the look of darker woods.

FWIW, I once bought a used strat and didn't realize until a week later that it had a rosewood fretboard. Color me oblivious.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I have no real preference, they don't sound or feel any different to me, but in 50 years I've never owned an electric guitar with anything but maple.

4. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

Of the 2 rosewoo. I don't like a finished maple.
    Roasted maple might be good.

Ebony would be my first choice if I was making a fretboard.

5. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl TDPRI Member

Ebony, it feels precise.

Satin finish on maple is ok. I have several rosewood neck guitars - on one of them the grain is too open. There is some but practically very little difference when playing.

6. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Pau Ferro. Probably double the sustain of either rosewood or maple, and a hint more upper-mid chirp, I've found.
    YMMV.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat, except the one guitar I've been playing the most is a Strat with a rosewood fingerboard.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I like the appearance of maple on Fenders, but I've had them with both maple and rosewood and there is no difference in sound.

9. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

I prefer maple on 6 string, but rosewood or ebony on basses. I'm not sure why.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Chimichanga !

Tommy Biggs and teletimetx like this.
  11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Pao Ferro.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I have and like both.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I hear a rounder, woodier tone with rosewood on the neck pickup of a Strat or Tele, which I prefer. On the other pickup positions it doesn't sound as pronounced to me. As to looks, I generally like the look of rosewood more with any color body. Only one of my Strats is a maple neck, and all my others, and my Tele, are rosewood. My Squier VM Jaguar has Indian Laurel, which is similar to rosewood.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Have played a wide variety, liked them all. For awhile, I liked ebony best, but now, jimmy crack corn. I say play them all and see what you like - someone's else's theories and opinions are based on their ears, not yours.

While I'm in the middle of thrashing around the fretboard, tree species does not appear on the radar. Not even a tiny, tiny bit.

Now, get off my lawn, I have some clouds needing to have a fist-shaking.

6ed.gif

I also think that it is scientifically suggestible that certain dogs prefer maple, because certainly their hearing is more acute than any human beings, but then again, you'd be surprised at how attentive they are when you are palming a dog biscuit in your left hand...

dogs prefer maple.jpg

good luck with whatever you decide. May the trees be with you!

15. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

My preference is maple on a Tele, rosewood on a Strat, Ebony on a Les Paul.
    Other people make the alternative combinations sound wonderful (and much better than I do), and I am sure I could get along with anything.

DougM likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

No, I think the new guy should've consulted the Advanced Search function. Makes sense to come prepared for what's going to happen next. How do you feel when a rehearsal is supposed to start and the bass player cannot remember where he left his bass?

We used to discuss a lot of interesting and diverse things about guitars and music and going to concerts and now it feels like everyone is already in an Assisted Living Center. Those subjects were once discussed and now nobody can muster a response.

+

Personally I find a rosewood board that's gotten parched in winter due to Forced Air, because the frets move a bit more IMO and the surface is rough, can chap your fingers and hands.

And I noticed that at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival as usual, because it is often hot or very humid and hot, is overrun by rosewood boards because why? The open pores and unfinished surface gives sweat and funk someplace to go and even unfinished maple boards just don't give you any moisture uptake. Like trying to drive a Nascar car in the rain. Most of my necks are one piece maple but I couldn't tell you how they sound when the conditions are Amazonian, because I did that and it never worked for me.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Tommy Biggs likes this.
  17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like to look at both and either play fine, but Rosewood will crater out and maple not so much. After having played on a Richlite board I'll just say that it's impervious. It is a perfect fret board material in all manners except appearance to some.

18. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Marketing hype, it does not matter.

19. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

I care. :D

And totally agree, ebony is my favorite also.

brookdalebill likes this.
  20. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I’ve been a rosewood guy mainly because that I’ll I’ve had. I just bought a classic series 50s strat and I love the glossy maple fingerboard. I love sliding all over it. I can’t say what the difference in sound is. Not really noticeable to me but impossible to quantify for all the other hundred factors.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.