What is your plectrum history, and your choice today?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I alternate between a jasper pick, an agate pick, and whatever I find under the drum riser from the previous band.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  2. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

351 heavy picks for decades. For some reason I like the Gibson black ones best, but a Fender or whatever brand will do just fine.

3. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Jazz 3’s since the mid seventies.

DHart likes this.
  4. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think I remember using thins when I first started but then I was told you could actually play faster with a heavy pick. Something about flexing and recovery time. I have tried just about every type of material and size in the last fifty years or so but for guitar I always default to heavy celluloid 351s and for mandolin Dunlop Ultex rounded triangle in 1.14 mm.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

homemade.png
    3mm Stubby or modified 2.6mm token ;)

greenhornet likes this.
  6. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

I’ll play anything in the medium-heavy range with a smooth grip surface. I’ve always held my picks rotated one-third so the roughened grip surfaces don’t work for me.

7. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

As usual, youse guys all use the wrong pick. The right pick is a plain old 351 medium in moto color. It's the greatest pick on the planet. There's no reason to argue about it. It's a fact. Just like gravity and windmill cancer. You all might just as well give in and switch now, you're just making it harder on yourselves. There was this one guy used a peso through a pair of twins, but I don't believe he ever amounted to nothing. There's a guy in Britain with a strat that just uses his fingers. Might be he just can't afford picks though because he apparently can't afford sleeves either.

Flaneur, jbmando and P Thought like this.
  8. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Seems like about every 4 or 5 years, I go on a pick search and try a bunch of new picks. Everything is open for a tryout. I always come back to D'Andrea 358s heavy. They just feel and sound right. Recently, I tried some different ones, they were so much easier to hold on to, but then I noticed that my tone was not consistent. Back to the 358s in celluloid. Other materials just don't sound right to me.

9. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nope. Heavy, tortoise or red/white/ blue variegated. Indisputable proven fact.

10. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

These, exclusively, since 1991:

jim dunlop.jpg

11. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Tried almost everything out there ... And now i just use one i haven't lost... Yet...

Telecaster88 likes this.
  12. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I’ve been a red Dunlop Tortex guy for most of my playing life. I prefer fingerpicking my leads.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I make my own from the lids of ice cream tubs.

Telecaster88 and MatsEriksson like this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Today’s pick is a Dunlop Sculpted Plectra 1.0. I have my Telecaster out again and this pick gives me the right attack and a textured surface that stays put as I play. A sales person passed it to me in the GC in Rancho Cucamonga. She wouldn’t take it back when I finished playing. I bought a pack of Sculpted Plectra picks on line but when I opened the pack, they had a smooth surface. Great attack but slippery between my fingers. I only have this ONE and I’ve managed not to lose it for four years. I’d love to find where to get more exactly like this one. I have a dish full of picks to choose from. I try not to always pick this one. I don’t want to wear it out and it never leaves the house for fear of losing it.

15. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

I used Tortex for the first 15 years, starting with 1.14 mm (I think), then working down until I settled on 0.7 mm for quite a while. Then I discovered Jazz IIIs and I've been with them until about a month ago when I discovered Dava picks. I like the fact they're really grippy and have a nice tight point on them like the Jazz IIIs.

The older I get though, the more I can get my sound with nearly any pick. I think as your skills develop, the types of equipment you use matter less and less.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

rangercaster likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's more history than I thought I needed about picks lol :) it came out two days ago so it's timely for this thread. Done by the same person that did the 'cracking the code' series.

DugT likes this.
  17. -Lefty

-Lefty TDPRI Member

Picks? Plectrums? Oh boy. Been playing on and off for over 50 years and have gone through a pile of picks. I attended NAMM shows for 30 years; grabbing free bee picks along the way and have a huge pile of them still. But they are mostly musical junk. I'll warn you to be careful of storing celluloid picks in closed containers or poly bags long-term-because they outgass and melt other picks. They crumble and die after a while it seems. Its a lousy material.

So everyone has played 351's in all gauges and flavors. They kinda suck. Danny Gatton turned me on to playing Fender 358's. He would cross hatch light grooves into them using a Stanley knife to impart a better gripping surface. Then, Danny used pitcher's rosin to dust the pick and his gripping fingers to "glue" the picks to his fingers. As the rosin gets warmed, it gets real sticky. This really works. I got into doing this for a while.

Finally Dunlop began chasing the grip. They have what I consider to be the best gripping and best sounding picks-period. Right now I am using the PRIMETONE® JAZZ III GUITAR PICK-.88

The burnished edges are really smooth and the ULTEX material is very wear resistant. This material is my favorite "tone" material for picks too. Sounds and feels very close to real tortoise shell.

Another great ULTEX pick from Dunlop is their Flow series. Excellent pick, very smooth and symmetrical edges-to the point that these really do "flow" across the strings. I feel the grip is not as effective on the Flow series compared to the Primetone series. I need more grip!

As a side note: when I collected picks I put together a collection of several hundred signature picks. Sold the whole mess for $2K and that was 15 years ago!

Recommendation :PRIMETONE® JAZZ III GUITAR PICKs in your favorite gauge.. Mine is .88

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    greenhornet, P Thought and ASATKat like this.
  18. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I started with the teardrop Fenders in heavy, moved up to extra heavy, and then was using green and purple Dunlop Tortexes. Then I moved back to standard shape Fender mediums and have been there ever since. I've been on Fender medium for multiple decades now

19. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Started fender mediums. Found tortex, then ultex, in .60mm and played those for about a decade. Lately, I've picked up much think picks for high-speed control work - first ultex 1.14, then dragons heart 2.5, then gravity picks 3.0 and Dunlop flow 3.0. The big picks are wonderful for sweeping and shred work, but I still use fender mediums and ultex .60 for acoustic or stummy work.

20. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I use Dugain Delrin and Acrylic shaped picks (about 2.5mm thick) on electric, rounded triangle 1.3mm real tortoiseshell (legal - VERY old) on acoustic, and for fingerpicks a Blue Chip JD Crowe thumbpick and Sammy Shelor fingerpicks.

sometimes on acoustic I use imported 2.2mm Ibanez hard and soft triangular elastomer picks - and a 3mm Vpick when playing Gypsy Jazz.

Heavy picks a light initial attack & light left hand touch give you an incredible amount of control and will significantly increase your accuracy and seriously improve your tone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.