Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is your favorite Proco Rat?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by FRESHMEAT, May 19, 2018.

1. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Mission Viejo, California
    I have two the Rat2 and a You Dirty Rat. I really love the YDR. Both pedals are actually fantastic. The YDR just happens to sound good with just about any gear set up.

2. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    My favorite is the Turbo Rat- the one with LED clipping diodes. "You Dirty" uses germanium clipping diodes, the "original recipe" Rat/Rat 2 uses silicon. For my bass rig, a standard Rat with Reutz mod is the one to beat.

I put a couple of toggle switches in my '90s Rat 2 (which has the famed LM308 chip) to allow switching between LED and silicon clipping, or Reutz mod. It's got a ton of sounds in it now, but I usually leave it on Turbo mode.

King Creole and FRESHMEAT like this.

3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    the expandora ... if you want something closer to home, probably the fat rat

4. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    Big box original or reissue from the nineties.

NICQ likes this.

5. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2018
    USA
    Keeley Stahlhammer.

It’s their modded Rat circuit with a three band EQ and a switch for silicon or LED modes (Classic Rat or Turbo in other words). They apparently weren’t the hit they should have been (though it takes some digging on the internet to find out the Stahlhammer is Rat-based, maybe they should’ve made that more apparent in the marketing) so they’re not that expensive used. Very good pedal, does everything you’d want a Rat for plus more.

6. NICQ

NICQ TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Vienna/Austria
    My favourite is the bigbox 90ies reissue - good amount of mids and not harsh, more smooth distortion

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.