Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is your favorite overdrive / distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by peavey30, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I couldn't agree more. I have a number of amps and pedals but that combination is the best. The OCD is kind of bright and the ac15 is kind of dark and they just compliment each other perfectly.

2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    New favourite - the Jet City Afterburner.

Sounds sweet as a stand-alone into my Pignose 7-100, and *really* opens things up with my Peavey Classic 30 - and costs less than a BOSS.

I had a peek 'under the hood', and it's incredibly well made. Through-hole components, too - should anyone fancy modding.

I'm rearranging my pedal board to fit the Afterburner on this weekend.

3. Gabriel_volny

Gabriel_volny TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2015
    Rio de Janeiro - BR
    I love "freakly" my Banzai Fireball II, but I'll be ultimate od set when I get the Bearfoot Honey Beest in my hands!

4. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2012
    Tucson
    Dunzie, your OD chain is outrageous! Have you tried the JRAD Ikon yet?

OP,
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1439066097.237347.jpg

5. overlook1977

overlook1977 TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Raleigh NC
    OD pedals are very dependent on a few different things....the guitar you're using, the sound you're going for and if you're playing with a band vs. studio/home. I have found certain pedals that sound great in the bedroom don't do well with a full band (don't cut through the mix well). Other's sound better with humbuckers vs. single coils. I have a lot of pedals and I would recommend as my top choices the Wampler Black '65, Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive, and the Timmy Drive. For me, I have found the Wampler Black '65 sounds really good with a stratocaster. The Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive is a great pedal that gives a nice marshall-y sound in most scenarios. The Timmy is a great pedal that sits in your signal chain and interacts with the guitar and amp...its not intended to be a sound in a box, it fattens up your sound nice. I don't own this pedal but the Fulltone OCD also seems like a versatile, 'can't go wrong' option.

Honerable mentions are the Fulltone '69 germanium fuzz - it's pretty versatile and sounds great. For a sweet bedroom pedal and some cool Neil Young tones (especially with a good tape delay pedal), I love the Wampler Tweed '57 but live it really can't cut through the live mix well. The Fulltone Fat Boost and the Xotic Effects RC Booster both really have great low to moderate drive sounds. The Analogman SunFace BC108 is a great silicon fuzz option. If you wanted something really aggressive and heavy the Wampler Leviathan fuzz is pretty versatile and can sound pretty intense.

Some OD pedals that are decent enough but just seem to never make the cut for me are the Analogman Maxon OD9 Silver mod, the EHX Soul Food, BOSS Blues Driver, and the Fulltone '70 (i sometimes pickup AM or shortwave radio on this, and it just never sounded great in a live setting). I like how the Wampler Plexi drive sounds with a humbucker, especially with the tone rolled back some but wouldn't want it to be my main OD pedal. I have a ZVEX Fuzz Factory which is just more of a pain in the a@@ then anything.

6. swany

swany Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2003
    Evergreen, Colorado
    EHX East River Drive, absolutely love it!

7. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Euphoria stacked with a Tumnus.

8. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2012
    marysville
    Boss BD2 stacked with a RAT

4pickupguy likes this.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Ethos by itself or with a BD-2 to goose it. BD-2 by itself. Rat. Blue Note.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    The two on my pedalboard at the moment are an MXR Custom Badass Overdrive and an Ibanez Jet Drive. The Jet Drive is more aggressive sounding. The MXR is for general overdrive/amp breakup kinds of sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.