Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is your favorite overdrive / distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by peavey30, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Cabronitavoxman

Cabronitavoxman Tele-Meister

For the last three or so years it's been the Boss BD2 Blues Driver... and I'm pretty sure it'll be on this pedalboard for quite a long time yet...
    I almost always leave it On all the time...
    I posted this pic on other threads as well...

[​IMG]

2. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    The Boss SD-1 keeps finding it's way back to my board. I have a BD2, but I prefer the SD-1...... The SD1 seems to maintain my rig's sound better than most.

There is a new offering from MXR, The Torino Overdrive, that has caught my interest.

Anybody tried one?

3. Cabronitavoxman

Cabronitavoxman Tele-Meister

Nope, but of course... now I'm going straight for Google, hehehe....

4. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    If I had to pick one it would be the Dual Fusion.

5. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2007
    Near Denver
    Timmy (Always on pedal)
    I rotate T-Rex Alberta, Greer Ghetto Stomp or Red LLama depending on need.

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Think that I may have already submitted my favorite but here goes again.

For my Fenders and Mesa amps my Wampler Clarksdale.
    For my Marshalls and Mesa amps my Hermida Zendrive.

The Clarksdale for Blues and SRV tones/music.
    The Zendrive for Zeppelin and Santana tones/music.

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Joyo Vintage overdrive. I used a Rat ever since my Ibanez Mostortion gave up - throughout the 90s. Then I used no pedals for some years. Only recently I tried some (zendrive, sweet honey, Greer ghetto stomp) and this cheap pedal seems to suit me just fine. I may also use some rat again as we do some 90s music in a cover band that we just started.

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    As of Saturday night...the Barber Gain Changer!

9. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    when i had my marshall for years, i just used a boss sd-1 as more of a treble boost (drive off, volume maxed), but now that i am playing an ac15c1, i have had to rethink that. the preamp overdrive from the amp is woeful, at lower volumes (imho).

i just got a fulltone ocd, and am digging what it does, but i'm not a big fan of always having pedals on. i just did a recording with my old sf champ, with the ocd. it was a magical tone,that i will be using a lot for recording.

the ocd can get to borderline heavy distortion, though. that's a sound i rarely--if at all--use. i might have to search for one that maxes out right about where the ocd is, at the 8, or 9 o'clock gain settings.

10. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I play a Vox AC-15 and I have tried a bunch of overdrives with it, including the OCD. I'm really loving my new Barber Gain Changer, it reacts so well with my Vox. A Fulltone Plimsoul is also a great choice to really make that Vox snarl. I use mine with stage 2 turned off and the stage 1 drive at about 9 o'clock. It makes me sound like I'm playing a lot louder than I actually am!

11. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    thanks for the tip. i'll have to try one out. how high do you get to set your master v when you're playing? obviously at home, i can't crank it up too high. :) i was almost debating getting an attenuator for this amp, but i think the speaker cable is hard wired to the pc board.

the plimsoul has a pronounced mid hump, doesn't it? i think that's the idea of that pedal.

12. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I have the Master at Noon and Top Boost Volume at 9 o'clock.
    Yes the Plim is mid-humped, though not as much as a TS to my ears. The Plim also has a lot more available gain that I need, but better too much than not enough. ;)
    For clean boosting I do have to give the Gain Changer top honors though. Before I got it the Open Road and OCD were my go-to gain set low pedals. But it's got 'em both beat. (Although this may just be the honeymoon talkin'. :lol:)

13. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    haha. fair enough. we'll see if you feel that way in a couple months or so.

thanks

14. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

I know it sounds strange, but it's hard to pick one "favorite" OD. I've likely tried a hundred or more high end dirt pedals out through the years, and I've kept these ones at this point... they're all awesome with my rig (Fender guitars into Fender tweed tubes).

[​IMG]

I guess the "standouts" if I had to break them down by category with a gun to my head:

Clean boost - Arc Klone v2
    Low gain drive - Rockett Blue Note
    Higher gain - Rockett Guthrie Trapp

For one to do everything though, I'd be hard pressed not to go with the Gain Changer. It does a very good low gain, great mid-gain, and decent high gain too. No other pedal I've tried can cover so much ground so well... maybe the Archer comes close.

15. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    holy crap! i've seen stores with less models. :)

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas

I see eight I would LOVE to have on that board!! OD heaven!!!

17. Birdinlays

Birdinlays TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 30, 2014
    Manitoba Canada

Ever turn em all on?

18. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

:lol: Well... I guess I should show you the list of pedals I've parted with over the past 5 years or so! I'm trying to pare down... trying...

Even on my small board PT2 I'll still run 6 drive pedals along with a compressor and a delay/reverb. I like having lots of dirt variety without having to twist knobs between songs.

:lol: Waiting till I get the WTF Fuzz to go with them. I'm pretty sure I will see God... ;)

19. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2013
    Milwaukee

Personally, I've tried TONS of overdrive pedals. With the AC30 and Night Train amps I've owned, the OCD at 9 o'clock is unbeatable. Cleans up better than anything. I left mine on all the time. One of the best edge of breakup tones I've ever found. That's saying a lot. ;)

20. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    MXR Full bore Metal
    EHX Soul Food

They stack amazingly together keeping both around 1/4 gain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.