Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is your favorite overdrive / distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by peavey30, Jan 10, 2014.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    EHX Soul Food. Bought it on a whim. It stays on all the time. I play through a Peavey Classic 50, and I've never had a problem being heard in a mix, but the Soul Food adds harmonic content and top end that just SINGS.

2. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    I find a nice breakup on the bd2, ds1 gain at noon and volume around unison with the bd2 on.

3. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Now it's just a Rockett Blue Note into a TCE Spark Booster.
    Still very much on the clean side.
    (I'll hang on to the Galaxie BD-2 for now, also.)

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I tried a Blue Note and loved it... It will be my next OD I think... Need other stuff first, so I'll have to wait a paycheck or two :(

5. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2009
    Germany
    It´s sooooooooooooo hard!

Right now i´m in the market for a new OD...can´t decide. I´m using my CV50´s,CVC and a Gretsch 5622 through a HRD III.....

6. _dave_

_dave_ Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2013
    Southern California
    What a great thread.

• Timmy - instant 'Better' sound. A keeper.
    • MXR M69 Prime Distortion - sweet honey
    • Joyo Ultimate Drive - OCD-ish in a good way. Knobs a bit fiddly but usable.
    • MXR M78 '78 Badass Distortion - yes, Badass.

I want to try the '77 Badass & Super Badass. I love the added harmonic content the '78 has.
    I only tried it in the store - its still on used pedal probation! (Huh?!). Can't leave the store 'til cops clear it after 30 days & not reported stolen.

I usually play clean-ish but this thread is a bad (good) influence.

7. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Mar 31, 2009
    Toronto
    A new year, and I'm still working on finding the best combo of dirt.

When it comes to OD, my Green Rhino still reigns supreme. As far as distortion goes, I'm loving the dirty channel on my Mesa-Boogie TA30. But I finally pulled the trigger on a Bogner Ecstasy Red and it's a great pedal.

Right now, I'm running through fuzz pedals, trying to find one that works for my rig. The contestants are:

- EQD Dream Crusher. Gorgeous germanium fuzz but it doesn't play well with other pedals .

- MXR Classic Fuzz 108. It gets the job done but I feel I could do better.

- WHE Swollen Pickle. I really wanted to like this fuzz but it doesn't play well with AC30-style amps. It's fine with Fender circuits, though.

DUF Hellephant. A silicon Fuzz Face style fuzz that's incoming. I liked the demos I've heard, and it appears to love Strats.

8. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Texas
    Visual Sound XS-XO. Two totally different pedals in one, and stack like nothing I've heard before. Like having three pedals.

9. Terra_Station

Terra_Station TDPRI Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Natick, MA
    Right on. This is a great set up. Had it going last night.... pretty sweet tones. I also engaged the micro vibe (running after the drives) at times to color the overdrive with darker tones. Thanks.

10. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    A Keeley BD-2, a BBpreamp, and an Ibanez TS808HW is what have and are the best keepers.

SunnySky likes this.

11. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    ZVEX Box of Rock!!! WOW!!! This thing is...the bomb...the ****...the best...nah, not the best but very very good.

+1 on the Way Huge Green Rhino. In fact, I sold my ProCo Rat 2 and my WH Pork Loin to fund the Box of Rock. And I wanted to be able to sell my Green Rhino, but dang it, I just couldn't. It has something else, something different. It rocks my sox off.

12. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

I have too many overdrives. I find I'm always switching them around and combining them differently. Almost all are usable,some are very good.
    But I'm finding that running a modulation pedal either before or after dirt really adds life. Seems to really bring out the harmonics and add some subtle 3d effect. Especially flange or chorus . Subtle...not over the top.

13. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    overdrive/distortion

Well, either my ears are changing over the years or I got a particularly good unit this time around, but the the Boss BD-2 has made it on my board for a nice fendery low gain tone through a sparkly clean amp. I have multiple posts here over the years as to how much I dis-like the BD-2,and distinctly remember it sounding harsh, keeping the tone knob nearly off. This units sweet spot is around noon and with an 'option knob' I can go from almost clean to fuzzy overdrive with one pedal.Pretty darn versatile!
    Thats my overdrive the past few months of gigs and I have no desire to change it out.A/B'd it with a V1 Bluesbreaker/TS-5/Red Llama clone and it won.
    For distortion, I just had a gig with an old big-box Danelectro Fab Tone and it just sang and sustained for days. Got it in a single true-bypass loop with a Boss RV-5 [modulate mode]so when I kick it on its a killer lead tone.Goodbye to the Nano Metal Muff.In all these years I never tried any of the big box Dano's ,now I'm hunting for a Daddy-O and 18v chorus!

Just goes to show that either
    1] our ears/perceptions change with time or
    2] there really are differences/variances in mass produced pedals from unit to unit.
    Whatever the case, I love it when cheap,non-boutique pedals can hang with the pricier ones. :cool:

14. smokeygills

smokeygills Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    JTM Lux Libertas

Attached Files:

15. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ronsound Hairpie '75 > Ronsound Stonemachine. I'm getting close to that sound in my head :cool:

16. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2011
    Lowell, Mass
    I fully agree... it's knocked some pretty prestigious pedals of my board

17. superjay

superjay Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2008
    Canada
    Boss SD-1 and EHX Little Big Muff

18. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    This weeks favorites are

Fulltone Fulldrive 2
    TS808
    Wampler Sovereign
    EQD Hoof Fuzz

19. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Fulltone Plimsoul without question. I've become a big Fulltone fan. High quality, clever and unique twists on classic designs. I have the gt500, FDII, and OCD too.

I also have a Mad Professor "1" which is a limited use but spectacular pedal. I plan on getting the Simble.

I also have a Tech 21 British which is another cool pedal.

One of my all time favorites is the Boss sd-1. I gave it away in a fit of madness but will definitely buy another.

I have others to. I kind of od on od.

I really would like to get a Marvel Drive and I'd like to get an Ecstacy too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.