Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is your favorite overdrive / distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by peavey30, Jan 10, 2014.

1. peavey30

peavey30 Tele-Meister

Jun 1, 2010
    The Netherlands
    What is your favorite overdrive / distortion pedal?

I have two overdrive pedals the Boss SD-1 and the BD-2. I like the BD-2. But to be honest I prefer the distortion of my amp.

2. Stubbornbard

Stubbornbard TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Lately I've been using the Boss BD-2 modded by Analogman. Just started also using the Soul Food and I'm REALLY liking that one.

3. TeleTeebs

TeleTeebs Banned

Jan 7, 2013
    Canada
    My joyo Ultimate and Vintage overdrive....Love em

4. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Lovepedal Kalamazoo Gold.

5. NankerPhelge

NankerPhelge Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2009
    Littlehampton, UK

6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

MHP 72 Degrees. Tied for second - Rat and SHO.

7. Rusrant

Rusrant Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Indy guitarist modded BD-2, Wampler Euphoria and also loving the Boss combo drive.

8. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Am really liking Bogner Blue Ecstasy Pedal.

9. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    There's nothing that does the bloom and expression like the original Bixonic Expandora. I've had mine since they came out in the 90's......never had to switch to something else. And there's no other distortion box on my board. Everything else, I do with my guitar's volume knob and my Allen Old Flame's touch sensitivity.

I can get pick squeals on-demand, and get awesome bloom from just finger vibrato....SO EXPRESSIVE. People should discover this wonderful silver hockey puck. Some of the later re-issues didn't get the same feel as the original. I haven't tried the latest model though. Don't know what I'd do if it ever failed.

10. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas

11. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Live use: Klone.

Home use: tie for OD-3 and CBC Drive (ZD clone).

13. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Depends on what tone I'm after at any given time but OD-3, Ts-9, Rat, Little Big Muff and Jet Driver are all faves of mine.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Also, 11 Gauge has talked up the RoG Umble. I have one (you can get them from a licensed builder relatively reasonably). Very unique. Still trying to learn how to tame it. But there are some GREAT sounds in it. More tweaking than I typically like (in addition to gain and level, which work more like in an amp than a pedal, if that makes sense) the T,M,B stack is HIGHLY sensitive and HIGHLY interactive. I get the feeling once I tame it (if I ever do) it may be a home fave.

Shameless plea for help - if anyone has suggestions on how to tame it/use the EQ, I'm all ears. Right now I have Bass full up, mids around 8:00 and treble around 7:30. Which is a pretty much transparent tone (how that EQ = transparent, I'll never understand) but distorts the bass notes too much for my liking, to be honest. But anything higher on the mids or the treble is piercingly bright. Even on this setting the highs can get a bit ice-pick when you pick hard (like an amp). Sounds like I'm bashing the pedal, but I'm not. Very unique circuit (in my eperience) and very amplike (whatever that means). Really hope I can crack the code . . . . Right now I reach for it first when messing around at home, because it has a certain something that is hard to describe and I'm really close to a sound in my head.

Anyway, back to regularly schedule programming.

15. Good Iron

Good Iron Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 25, 2008
    Los Angeles

16. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    maxon 808 (analogman mod) , ts9, snapper, Sparkledrive

17. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Love my Big Muff Pi with tone wicker,

Attached Files:

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    IMO all distortion pedals suck compared to the distortion of a good amp, so my favorite keeps changing depending on whatever aspect of badness I've gotten tired of recently.
    Some that have sounded the best are old BK Butler Tube Drivers with the power transformer in the case, and a newer Soldano supercharger GTO (also a tube powered distortion).
    The pedal that spends less time in a drawer lately is an OCD, which sounds very good at low/ clean settings to push and fatten the amp; and most recently a Zvex Distortron (JTM 45 sound) has been getting dialed in without too much suck.
    For twice the money a Lovepedal Eternity Fuse and an MI Audio Tube Zone sound pretty good (or suck less than most), but it often seems like pedals that end up sucking less are more trouble to dial in to playing volume etc.
    Easy to dial in with fairly low suck factor include the old steel case Route 66, and the two knob Voodoo Lab Overdrive.
    I haven't yet found spending more than $150 used gets me "better" distortion than the under $150 grinders. One day soon though...
    And of course the straight 18w distortion doesn't suck at all, and it's "free".

19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Everyone is going to have a different opinion, and everyone will be right with their opinion. This is a very subjective topic.

Myself - I'm currently running a Boss OD3 and an Ibanez TS-9 - both stock. I've tried numerous others (fulltones, lovepedals, rats, tonebones, countless mods, etc...) over 30+ years but the combination of these two has stopped my desire to search any further. For now :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.