Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is your favorite Nocaster CS ` specs ?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by guspin, Dec 14, 2017.

1. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    argentina
    Hi !
    Could you share your favorite Nocaster Specs like:
    Body wood, finish, Neck wood, Radius, Nut, Tuners, hardware, wiring and pickups
    Anybody add some custom specs? Which?
    Thanks

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    7.25 inch radius, vintage frets, A3 bridge pickup, traditional bridge and brass saddles, ... It is just what works for me

FredDairy, tonyj and guspin like this.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I thought they all had the same specs, making them a 'nocaster'.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yeah, me too.

I'm OK with the stock specs, or with a few minor changes: 9.5 radius, slightly taller frets. Modern wiring is a given.

But change much more than these things, and I have to wonder why call it a Nocaster? Why get a vintage spec guitar and modernize all the vintage aspects?

Color is another thing altogether. Sure, BSB is vintage, and I don't really think of a CAR sparkle finish as "Nocaster", but it doesn't really matter, does it. It's just paint.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Kreepy likes this.

5. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    argentina
    Yeah I agree with you.
    Maybe I would like with Yourneyman relic and sort for light weight body wood

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Wildwood had a Nocaster Relic a couple of years ago that was perfect for me:

It was medium relic with fretboard wear in the cowboy chord positions, with dulled but not rusted hardware.
    9.5 radius. (it may have even been a Wildwood 10 with 10" radius)
    6105 Frets
    Mid 60 C's neck profile.

I should have bought it. I haven't seen one with that perfect combination of relic treatment although I have seen the other specs listed on a few.

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    It's semantics I guess, but to my way of thinking, a Nocaster has, first and foremost, a HUGE U neck. Without that feature, it may be a very nice guitar, but it's something else.

8. bluesguitar1972

bluesguitar1972 NEW MEMBER!

Nov 24, 2012
    PEI, Canada
    I had a CS Nocaster, huge U neck (little on the large side for my taste), 9.5 radius and a double bound body. Was a great sounding Tele and played well. I recently got another CS Tele on trade and love it, so I swapped the Nocaster for a Suhr.

9. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    My favorite part is the huge U shape neck and how it's aged. It feels great and is completely different from any other guitar neck. I like how light it is too. But then thinking about it more, how everything came together on mine is simply fantastic. It's so much different than any other guitar in looks and playability and may be the most fun to play. Not necessarily the easiest to play. But the most fun.

10. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    Mine should have been Nocaster, except I wanted it to Match the large C shape neck on my Strat, but they got it wrong. So now now I have a Nocaster with a neck that’s slightly too small for me! Still sounds good though. Anyway it’s 9.5 radius more medium C tall frets and Nocaster pickups. IMG_0467.JPG

11. Henfield Tele

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    IMG_0038.JPG

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    ^Yeah, that's a tiny neck for a Nocaster.

My 60s style necks (AV64 Tele, AV65 JM, CS63 Strat) all have fairly chunky necks. On average .85" at the first fret, and .99" at the 12th. If you gave them specific dimensions, I'd send it back.

13. Henfield Tele

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    The only specific instruction was the the neck matched my Strat which the dealer also supplied. The Strat is a large c shape 9.5 and is perfect for me. Might speak to fender direct to see if they’ll do anything. Or just sell it!!

14. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    My June 2009 made CS Nocaster has a 'Premium Ash body, with a 9.5" radius fingerboard on a 'U'shaped Maple neck, all fitted with 21 Dunlop 6105 Narrow Jumbo frets. Machine heads are Gotoh 'Vintage style'. It has a Vintage style bridge with 3 'Special Design brass saddles'. Pickups are a Custom Shop "Twisted Tele" single coil in the neck position and a CS "Vintage Tele" SC in the bridge position. Hardware is Nickel/Chrome.
    The guitar has a three-way selector switch and has 'modern' wiring, i.e. Pos1-Bridge; Pos2-Bridge and Neck; Pos3-Neck.
    The guitar is finished in a lightly relic'd 'NoCaster Blonde', with a black pickguard, and is described by Fender as a " '51 Limited Edition 'NoCaster' Relic Reissue". There have been no changes to the guitar since it left the Fender Custom Shop. I am the original owner of this excellent guitar. They really don't come much better.

guspin likes this.

15. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    argentina

16. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    argentina
    It is very similar to the New American Original!

17. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I had a nice Custom Shop NOS '51. I think that's what it was called and it came with true vintage specs. That is all I'd be interested in.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Not to me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    argentina
    the relic is different but the specs are similar for me

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Favorite spec is the one I dream about - a full 1 11/16" nut width.

U-shaped ? Chunky ? Fat ?

Every one I've tried I would only describe as "narrow"...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.