Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is your favorite amp for clean tones

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Lake Placid Green, May 11, 2017.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    '68 Dual Showman Reverb plus 2 x 12" cab with JBL K-120 speakers. I'm old so I usually gig with a Peavey Backstage Plus, which is a good clean amp.

Once I did a gig outdoors at a friend's business and took the DSR/JBL cab rig. A friend came by and said, "I could hear the band a block away. I could hear the lead guitar three blocks away."

2. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    Used to have a Twin Reverb which obviously had great cleans, but I prefer my 74 SFSR. Just something about the tone of a Super Reverb with 4 - 10" CTS Alnicos that has always grabbed me like no other amp. For lower volume I also like my modded PRRI pretty well and for low volume clean I like my SFVC + Holy Grail. Obviously I like classic amp clean tones......... and there is one other one from long ago that I sometimes wish I still had - 65 Ampeg Gemini 1.

3. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

Apr 17, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    Tweed Deluxe. Controls set right the tone is FAT!!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

This one. Z  1962 Super Amp Front.JPG

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Fiesta Red likes this.

5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    ... depends on how clean. It is hard to beat a Fender Twin Reverb. I partial to the Fender but all amps are voice different. Pick your poison. Music man hybrid amps will get you there and my Peavery Deuce does well clean.

6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Loudly and clearly, my pick is my Super Reverb-Amp with factory JBL/D110F's:

[​IMG]

7. Krex1010

Krex1010 TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I love the cleans on my Music Man rd50

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Twin Reverb all the way.

9. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Twin or Deluxe.

I imagine this is going to be oft-repeated in this thread.

10. JCR_thinline

JCR_thinline TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chickasha, Ok
    I have a 90's Fender Blues Jr. that I bought used. According to the guy I got it from it had been modified by an amp tech but I can't really tell how. Has the best clean tones i've ever heard though!

11. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    I was pleasantly surprised by the cleans on channel 1 of my Peavey Envoy 110. Loud as heck, tons of headroom, and really makes my pedals come alive.

12. Lake Placid Green

Lake Placid Green Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Just interested in what you all have to say. I have been looking for another amp for cleans and wanted to both see what people here like and what's out there that I would like to hear.

13. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    I haven't owned many.

Peavey Audition
    Vox AD30VT
    Epiphone Valve Jr.
    Peavey Ranger 212.

Easily, the Ranger was the best of the lot, with full, lush cleans readily available at any volume I can stand. 4 x 12AX7, 4 x 6L6. Very Fendery.

14. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    Peavey Nashville 400

15. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    There is just no way to answer this question with 100% clarity in the decision. There are so, So, SO many amps out there that give great clean tones that I love equally... differently but equally. Depends on the guitar, depends on if you like something on top of your cleans (or just straight pure clean) as well 10,000 other factors... lol. I generally prefer clean with hair... a thicker clean tone, and I answered initially earlier in the thread with Bassman into 2x12 v30s and/or SF Deluxe reverb... but I can just as easily call out my old brown concert, that thing was amazing and had the trippiest vibrato you would ever want to hear. Or, amp builder extraordinaire Mark Norwine (not sure if he still posts here - GREAT guy) had built a 5e7 circuit with some tweaks into a burnt out Blues Deluxe that I gigged for a few years... had an EV12L in it, weighed about 6,000 lbs and it was so loud that on about 3 on the vol knob animals in Africa would stampede... that thing had the most beautiful and pristine clean sound I have ever heard. Or my Winnie Thomas 18 watt plexi clone... any of my old teles through it driving 2x12 speakers was heaven. There is just no way I could choose just one.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

16. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I haven't tried a lot of the amps known for their clean sounds that others may speak of, but I did own a silver face Twin Reverb back in the 1970s that absolutely had a clean tone like no other amp I have ever heard, it was beautiful and complex, not sterile in any way. There was a sweetness to the tone that I am not sure how to describe.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    My Silvertone 1482 Tube Amp on the Microphone channel.

18. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    These days I lean towards tweedy tones, but when I want clean and chimey I reach for my PRRI.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

19. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2014
    AZ
    Picked up a '68 Custom Twin Reverb (yes they are heavy).
    The first time I played it I thought " so this is how my guitar is supposed to sound ". Cannot put into words how great the cleans are. It has to be experienced! Fender68TwinFjpg.jpg

Staypuft1652 and MilwMark like this.

20. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Could be that he's just enjoying the opinions here. I've done that. Asked and sat back to enjoy others' replies.

Or maybe he got himself a '63 Vibrolux and is in cleans heaven.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.