Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is your favorite amp for clean tones

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Lake Placid Green, May 11, 2017.

1. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Blonde Bassman 6g6b....the best on Normal channel

Mesa TA15 on Vox top Boost channel

Owenmoney likes this.

2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

My Mesa Boogie F-30; it's clean tone lays all others to waste.
    15 years and still going strong.

Owenmoney likes this.

3. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    I have a Carvin MTS3200 half stack and the thing gets cleans to die for. I have owned many amps and nothing compares. imgres.jpg

4. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    Usually a Princeton Reverb
    Sometimes a Tweed Deluxe

LiteAsh and daveyboy like this.

5. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Right now, my favourite amp for clean tones (which is what I mostly use anyway) is an original 1990s Roland BC-60 Blues Cube. Absolutely wonderful. Yes, it's SOLID STATE. So sue me.

About equal in second place are my Peavey Classic 50 chassis in a custom-made solid pine 2x10 cabinet, my 1985 Sessionette with the "RetroTone" circuit mods (yes, another solid-state beauty) and my Music Man 112RP-100 with the EV speaker. But sadly that one is too heavy for me to take out on gigs any more.

However, I have a Carr Rambler on the way, which I have little doubt will go straight to number one. For what it costs in the UK it had flamin'-well better! :p

Paul in Colorado and tlimbert65 like this.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    For me the right answer is a Fender Twin, but for the poor man's, off the grid, low wattage use equivalent is my Champ 12. Yeah the gain channel sucks, but a fantastic Class A 6L6 Fender clean for cheap (well, at least when I bought it).

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I play my Quinn and Ceriatone ODS clones with a little dirt sounding when the guitar vol is up full. Then, I back it down to 4-6, which I use for clean sounds that have life in them. It is a great-sounding design for clean sounds with character.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Depending on how loud I can play - my '62 brown Concert or '62 brown Princeton. IMO those 2 amps are in a league of their own by a large margin, being the best clean amps for their relative volume range ever made - by anyone.

9. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle
    Right here, right now! This is a clean machine - Supro Tremolectric! Includes the sweetest tube reverb I have ever heard along with tube tremolo.

_DSC3093_5359.jpg

10. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

• We don't all favor the same types of tone. For me, it'd be a Vox AC30 or Matchless DC30 or Bad Cat Black Cat 30 (all in the same "family"). With a Strat, say, you get the sounds of the lead guitar work in the Beatles Nowhere Man.

asnarski likes this.

11. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    '69 Twin Reverb
    Two Rock Studio Pro

I play the former, and would play the latter.

12. mrothe

mrothe Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2011
    US
    The Fender Twin is great but weighs 1.53 tons. Not really, but it seems that way. The cleans on a Frenzel Deluxe Plus are awesome and it's a small amp head. It gets the job done and doesn't break the back.

13. daveyboy

daveyboy Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Victoria BC Canada
    Fender tweed bandmaster.
    I find 28 watts is enough to be dynamic and if u get to distortion it's too loud for the crew I run with. I'm trying to like my Princeton but it's missing the middle.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

14. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    At home, it's lately been a 1965 Fender Band-Master piggyback or a Seymour Duncan Convertible 2000. Live with the band, the Bogner Alchemist 2x12 works really really well.

15. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    My Bogner Shiva EL34/reverb head, 112 cab with CL80.
    Group shot2.jpg

16. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    My Supro Tremo Verb pictured on the right. 25 watts with amazing clean headroom at 3/4 on the volume knob with my Tele's and Strats.

18156656_1016342168496642_6756882954153328657_o.jpg

Fiesta Red and bparnell57 like this.

17. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    Don't laugh..........my Fender Super Champ X2. My Bandmaster Reverb head also does a great clean. Fender blackface cleans are the standard that many other amp builders strive for.

robrob likes this.

18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    You just brought up something that is a classic case of not giving credit where credit is due. In general there's a lot of bashing when it comes to the Peavey drive channels but when it comes to Peavey cleans they've produced a ton of great amps. I've had this early 80's hybrid since it was new and it's the only amp that I've ever owned that I can honestly say is capable of being even cleaner than my Twin.

[​IMG]

falcon5romeo and bparnell57 like this.

19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Wow - this is the second, rather cryptic amp-related thread the OP has started (at least that I've noticed) and never participated in again!

Strange.

20. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2010
    New York City
    My Port City Pearl 50w head through a Port City 1x12 OS Wave cab (2x12 would be even better, but it's not as portable for my purposes). It won't break up unless completely cranked, but that's exactly how I want it. It's a clean machine and, as a pedal platform, it's perfect.

I played through a reissue Twin BF the other day and was reminded of just how wonderful those amps are. But I don't own one, anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.