What is wrong with the compressor coupler?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by mangus, May 15, 2019.

1. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Hi,
    My dad gave me an old 1999 100l(I think) compressor from Einhell, It's black and I can't read anything on the metal plate that should have the details. Anyway, it works and it has two exits for air... Cutting the long story short the other day the other day I found an unused box of air tools and I tried to connect them to my air compressor but something is wrong as the couplers don't fit.
    I'm pretty sure there must be something I need to buy in order to use this but it's the first time I own a compressor and I'm clueless.. IMG_20190515_101916.jpg IMG_20190515_101943.jpg IMG_20190515_102006.jpg IMG_20190515_102724.jpg IMG_20190515_102746.jpg
    can someone please give me some pointers?

2. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Does anyone recognise the model?

3. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

What's on your air hose is a male quick connect fitting. What's on the compressor is...something different.

You need something like this on the compressor side:

[​IMG]

4. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Quick trip to the shop shown them the pic and problem solved. Thanks

draggindakota likes this.
  5. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Does anyone know a way I can find out the model of the air compressor?

6. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

If you can't read the plate info on the tank, look on the compressor head itself. Usually the compressor head is built by a different company anyway and just packaged onto a tank and branded with whatever brand.

7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

Generally, the tag fastened to the tank just has info and test data pertaining to the tank itself, not the compressor or info about the output specs.

The tank tag usually has stuff like the date of manufacture and data about the pressure test that the tank was subjected to in order to gain certification as a pressure vessel.

Looks like it may be a nice little setup - a 2 cylinder compressor unit :).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

8. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

The electric box says Electric motor EM/80 M the cylinder does have a plate on it but it's so rusted I can only make out 100L, made in Italy, Einhell, and 11bar maximum pressure. Oh and 07474 which I think it might be the serial number..
    Regarding the number of cylinders it is a two cylinders with belt and dual outlet and dual pressure gauge. THe interior was mint as it was only used for about two hours during its life time.
    Now, about the Pressure Control Gauge either I can't operate it or I need to replace it which I might considering I suspect it should have something to lubricate and something to remove the water. Am I right?

9. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

There really aren't too many things that go bad on compressor setups, but the pressure control unit would probably be at the top of the list, especially if the unit has been stored in a damp environment.

The pressure control reads the low p.s.i. at which the unit kicks on in order to build pressure, and then it reads the high p.s.i. at which the unit kicks off.

There are electrical contacts within the pressure control unit which can become corroded, and possibly not conduct power. It might just need a good cleanup, or if it needs replacing, it's a relatively simple and straight-forward little job. They are not too expensive either.

As far as lubrication goes, there should be a little "dip-stick" to check the oil level in the crankcase of the compressor unit. There will also be a small threaded plug in the base of the compressor to allow for draining the old used compressor oil. It's always a good idea to maintain good clean compressor oil at the correct level.

For most of what we (guitar builders and woodworkers) use a compressor for, we are more concerned with removing oil and moisture from the compressed air, rather than adding oil.

In a mechanics shop where a lot of air tools are used, they sometimes add an oiler to the airline system. In that case, a metered amount of oil is added to the air in order to lubricate the air tools.

I run a filter that removes moisture and any oil that might be introduced to the air while it undergoes the compression process.

Having pressurized air in the shop is really handy, and it also opens the door to spraying finishes too :). Good Luck with it!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

mangus likes this.
  10. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Thanks, I want to use it to keep the shop clean, paint the shop and add a nail gun to build my daughter a playhouse.
    You said something I hadn't thought of before, finishing guitars.. I do have a paint gun that came in a kit but is there anything specific I should use for guitars? like a special nozzle or a good quality gun you'd recommend.

old wrench likes this.
  11. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is to try to match the paint gun to the compressor. It doesn't do any good to buy a nice and expensive gun if the compressor can't develop enough air at a sufficient pressure to properly atomize whatever it is that ya want to spray.

Compressor are generally rated (here in the States) using a standard measurement like cubic feet per minute at either 40 p.s.i. or 90 p.s.i. as a way of rating a compressor's output.

In your part of the world, they use the much simpler and easier to work with metric system to arrive at a similar rating :).

There are other folks on the forum that could give you much better advice on specific paint guns than I could; I'm still pretty much an amateur when it comes to spraying finishes.

I've used the H.F. purple gun quite a bit for spraying motorcycles tins with good results.

I've also used a couple of smaller H.F. guns for spraying laquers on guitar bodies and necks, with similar good results.

These are all very inexpensive guns. My best one is what they call a detail gun (an HVLP conversion gun, I believe) that doesn't need a ton of air to operate. I think I paid about $30 bucks or so for it.

I'm sure one of the more experienced finishers will join in with some spray gun suggestions for you, some thing that's available on your side of the Pond :).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

12. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

You might also post this question in the Finely Finished sub-forum since it's devoted to finishing guitars. Folks in there may have more specific info for you.

old wrench likes this.
  13. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Thanks

old wrench likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.