Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is up with CraigsList scams and spammers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jguitarman, Jan 16, 2018.

1. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    My wife and I are clearing some space at home and decided to list some items on CL. I can't believe all of the "I have no time to preview your item but will prepay your full asking price with cashiers check. My husband will be by to pick item up. Please give your final asking price and time and date of location."
    Yeah sure lady.
    I had over a dozen text messages telling me that so and so is interested please email them at ....com.
    I'm guessing it is just a scam to get your email address so they can spam you with emails. I'm not real sure if that's the motive but its my best guess. I never replied to any of those but I have already gotted a spam text message.
    Its been a while since I've used CL prior to this but wow, what a fiasco of scammers. On the positive side we did sell a dirt bike and a few other smaller items.

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Report them to CL. :)

BorderRadio and Piggy Stu like this.

3. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    As of a couple years ago when I sell on CL I specifically write, "Cash/local sale only" and it seems to have majorly cut down on the scam responses.

4. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Yoakum, Texas
    I'm lucky enough to have my own website and can add as many email addresses as I want - as such, Craigslist has its own... keeps me from having to care if it gets spammed or not.

5. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Apr 14, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    My selling method is not for everyone, especially those who like to haggle:

1) I list the price I will sell for.
    2) I state I will only reply to offers to purchase with ca$h, in person.
    3) I ignore ALL inquiries which don't conform to #2.

Easy peasy, no scammers, no protracted email/text/phone exchanges. If item sits too long I assume price is high and I lower accordingly. Eventually EVERYTHING sells with one simple interaction.

Matt G, hrstrat57 and Tele1966 like this.

6. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I add one more requirement, they must include a phone #

nojazzhere and ROADMAN like this.

7. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Certain things will bring out the scammers in locust hoards. Motorcycle listings are the worst in my experience. But absolutely no scams when I sold my hen turkeys. Go figure.

BorderRadio likes this.

8. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY
    I have bought/sold plenty on craigslist, without issue: I simply specify that u must reply by phone. Zero issues.

ROADMAN likes this.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    CL doesn't care about ANYTHING.....scammers, over-posters, dealers posting in "by owner", whatever. Don't know why they even have "Terms of Use".

BorderRadio and soulman969 like this.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    If we choose to sell on CL we either accept most of the BS that comes from it or as sax4blues does we draw up the listing so well ONLY a buyer willing to buy for cash at the listed price will contact us. I tend to favor that approach.

nojazzhere likes this.

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    That's unfortunate. Another reason to use....

reverb.png

12. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Madras, OR
    If you're bored you could have some fun with them:)

13. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Meeting at a 'neutral location' could get you mugged, car stolen, or worse.
    Meeting at a police station means you get laughed at after you get mugged.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Meh, I’ve sold cars and cell phones, guitars, etc. I’ve seen their replies in all forms. Doesn’t matter what I say either, just what I’m selling. It’s funny to me when people write “no scammers”. Well yeah, of course!

Ignore them and move on.

nojazzhere and ZackyDog like this.

15. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    sweet clip reckless meanie. I've had about 50 positive craigslist interactions and no bad ones...but yeah the scammers are terrible

16. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    I love it when you list something for $100 and then you get a question asking what you want for it.

Duh! $100.

17. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Yoakum, Texas
    For those of you who insist on phone calls for your CL ads, here's the flip side of the coin and something to keep in mind... I don't hear as well as I did when I was younger. As such, I'd prefer to NOT use the phone. Second, I much prefer email to phone calls as the "deal" is crystal clear. There's never any "he said, she said" when the deal is in writing. If anyone "forces" me to call to complete a deal I generally just move on to the next ad (or ignore it and send an email anyway).

Side note and not really relevant to the conversation - I will NEVER call or email for a quote. I absolutely HATE visiting a website to see if I can afford something only to be met by the dreaded "call for pricing"...

I've bought and sold on CL and never had any trouble. Then again, I do use a different email address for CL transactions...

18. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

This overpayment scam is really old.

First time I saw it was 2003. I'd just spent $4800 on rebuilding the tranny, transfer case, new rear axle and axle tube, rear shocks, and brakes all around on my Grand Cherokee Limited V8. That was a sweet Jeep, would pass anything but a gas station and go through everything except a telephone pole.

I had just started a job and dropped full coverage for a month or 2 until the money started coming in again. Unfortunately managed to slide sideways into a telephone pole one night.

Jeep still ran and drove (away, leaving the hatch and rear bumper at the scene), and I decided to try to get some money out of it.

I listed it on a couple 4x4 forums with all the new and rebuilt parts, hoping I could cut my losses.

Got an email almost right away from a guy who wanted to buy it and ship it to the Middle East. Said he would send a cashier's check from the Bank of England, for enough for the Jeep and shipping. I should deposit the check into my account then give the balance to his shipping agent when he came to collect it. Insisted that I give the agent cash.

I knew it was a scam when he kept insisting that his agent get the several thousand in cash.

He said he would mail me the cashier's check and when I received it I would contact him to make arrangements for his agent to take possession. He emailed to say he'd sent it air mail and followed up every day asking if I'd gotten it.

I got the check, and it was really high quality. I've never seen a genuine B of E cashier's check, but this had holographic ink, watermark, security strip and colored threads in the paper.

Didn't email him, and after a while of him asking he said it had been long enough and should have gotten there. I suggested he cancel he lost one, get another and send it delivery confirmation.

A couple days go by and I get another air mail letter with said check. Same thing as before, very high quality cashier's check.

The next day I get an email from the buyer saying he knows I've gotten the check, accusing me of trying to rip him off.

We exchanged emails, and he got more heated and accusatory. Said I was a thief and a liar and the amount of money I had stolen from him would make it a felony.

I wrote back with the police department phone number and the name of the chief of police. Welcomed him to press charges.

Never heard back.

I know I was tying up his resources. I mean counterfeiting cashier's checks can't be easy. Even if he's producing them himself, the paper would be hard to come by. At the very least air mail, especially with tracking and delivery confirmation had to cost real money. And as long as he was thinking I was going along with him he wouldn't have time to target other potential marks.

Not as good as the James Veitch emails, but he's a comedian and I'm just a guitar hack with a decent sense of humor.

nojazzhere likes this.

19. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

I hear you there. Usually they're advertising under the MAP.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.