Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What is today's "Les Paul 'Burst" level collectible guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by brenn, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome Knopfler guitar video on the same page as the article!

2. Krex1010

Krex1010 TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I don't think any guitars will gain value like that anymore......look to the technology that's new at moment but you think is really going to take off....silly as it may sound, but an original iPhone still in the box or an IPod may actually be highly collectible sometime in the future.

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Just maybe pre- EB Stingray.

Lobomov likes this.

5. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Teuffels are already rare and expensive.
    I have a book from 1980. In that book you can read how the prices are already maxed out on bursts, and how nobody would stock up on $250 1960's Jazzmasters because there is no market for them, etc.
    You cannot predict.

6. Lobomov

Lobomov Tele-Afflicted

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa

No it was just a different color than the non bursts made previously. it is valuable because it didnt catch on so only a few where made before it was discontinued ... Then by chance Clapton a other great players put it on the map a decade later.

7. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Ed Roman wrote a great piece about this years ago but basically today things are sold with "collector's value" up front.

Back in the 50s and 60s Gibson, Fender, Martin, Gretsch and Guild never sold guitars as historic, collectable, etc... or said anything about them appreciating in value.

Today, things that are collectable (guitars, baseball cards, model trains, Star Wars toys, etc...) are sold with the 'collectable' premium built in. You can buy a 'Collector's Choice' Les Paul for $8,000 or whatever they cost but odds are they're never going to be worth $100,000.

If you want a guitar that will retain/increase in value buy something iconic. The market goes up and down but a 58-60 Les Paul, 1950s Gretsch 6120, Early Fender Stratocaster/Telecaster, prewar Martin, etc... have become important cultural pieces of Americana. They're historic as well as great instruments.

I paid about 20k (IIRC) for my first Burst back in the mid 1990s. I'm not selling it, but it was a great investment. More importantly, I love playing it.

I have some issues of Rolling Stone when it was still a newspaper (1970s) where they were selling for $3000.

This is the original ad from when I got mine:

[​IMG]

IF something from today becomes very valuable and collectable it probably won't be something that was sold as such. It will end up being one of those Gibson richlite models or some oddball short run that none of us were paying attention to.

IMHO

SheldonP, Stubee, rze99 and 4 others like this.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I would look at markets with products like beanie babies or transformers for future collectibles.
    In the guitar market I would expect much of todays product to be future kindling.
    OTOH if the millions of student guitars become kindling when there aren't enough guitar students to consume them all, maybe 40 years later those Hello kitty's will be all the rage...

Is there any revolutionary music being made with revolutionary guitars today?
    Will those revolutionary guitars be collected by todays youth in their golden years?

9. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    None of them. The scale at which guitars are manufactured alone precludes them from ever being rare enough to command large amounts, let alone that there are people buying specifically for investment. So in 30-40 years you will have thousands if not tens of thousands or more of production guitars available from 2017 alone.

10. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    My friend says I have all the ones that "fell through the cracks"

Fender Elite Tele 1983 Not many but worth 3 times what I paid
    Gibson LP '55 model 1975 ( two produced, sold in 1976) Just now hitting a price point
    Gretsch 6120N New Nashville 2003 Someday, very rare
    Fender TeleSonic 1998 Not a lot pf people selling these.
    And now I will also have a nice Cabronita. ( a somewhat lesser model, whose Mexican Variants are selling , used , for new prices )

jondanger likes this.

11. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

May 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't think it will be a boutique guitar. When the St. Vincent guitar came out, I thought it was an innovative and functional design that would be desirable for years / iconic... but now that they've put out lower end versions, I'm not so sure it will have as much of a unicorn stigma years from now. Maybe the early versions will.

[​IMG]

telemnemonics likes this.

12. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

May 23, 2013
    New England
    What do you guys think about dana bourgeois guitars in terms of collectibles? They are made in small numbers to very high quality standards. Brand new they are very pricey, and it doesn't seem like very many end up on the used guitar market, which probably protects the resale value. IMG_8910.JPG

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I think the collectability of those guitars isn't just about guitars

1950s USA rock n roll has a sacred aspect to some people who have money and so things get bid up in the same way William Shakespeare's quill would have a price beyong another modern duplicate feather. John Lennon is also going to be some historical figure and 60s stuff will have value. It will tailor off after that as other periods didn't signify as much in people's lives. I think the torch passed to film in the 1970s as the great artform

Modern production means things can't be considered in the same way. Digital today will be the same as digital in the future, only outclassed. Cnc will be micron perfect and the current reissues will seem rough by comparison

I wouldn't invest in guitars. I would buy them maybe like a painting I love and enjoy, and hope it goes up in value, but not worry if not

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Who will care after the last boomer dies?

15. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2011
    johnstown
    I don't know which guitar or amp will be considered collectable 30 years from now. History has shown us that it will most likely be something mass produced, decent quality, and a slow seller. I can remember in the 60's, 50's Les Pauls selling for under $300. A friend of mine went out in the 70's and bought every Les Paul Jr and Special he could find for under $150. He found a lot for that price. 20 years ago around here, if you paid more than $275 for 70's Stratocaster or Telecaster, you paid way too much. Last time I looked, a 70's Strat was about $1250. A lot of what will be collectable will depend on which upcoming star is using at the time because he can't afford anything better. A lot of the guitar heros we had in the mid to late 60's used Les Pauls because they were cheap, good quality, and no one else wanted them.

16. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    If you think it's only Boomers buying records by The Beatles, The Cream, Bob Dylan, The Stones, Zepplin, etc... you're out of the loop.

The iconic instruments from rock and roll's best times are still popular with people that like that music.

17. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    OK, now I get it.

The answer is: None.

hellopike likes this.

18. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm guessing guitar music will come around again. If I were inclined to invest in guitars, I'd put my money on Mosrites. I know they're already collectible, but I think they have room to grow in value as Gen Xers get more money to invest in guitars. With my generation, the Ramones are much more seen as founders and icons than Clapton, Beck, etc. Besides, Mosrites were made in fewer numbers than Fenders or Gibsons, they're really well made, they are already quite iconic.

Edit to add: I guess my post didn't answer the question, since the collectible Mosrites are from the 50s and 60s.

19. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    For guitars of the recent past that will have good collector value, I think Jerry Jones guitars have a pretty good shot.

20. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    We're not talking even close to six figures, but I wonder if 1982/1983 Fender 'Dan Smith' Strats could leap much further ahead of the mid-to-late 70s Strats at some point... Right now, it feels like there's an appreciable time gap between them, but the older they get, the more they're a similar vintage except one's considered far superior. I can see those getting a rep of a good vintage year like (though not quite to the same extreme as!) the 58 bursts, enough to get a buzz about it, especially as production numbers were smaller. They've got a good yarn to tell and a good sales patter!

How high they go though... we'll see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.