Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is this for $119?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Danno, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Jweber1976

Jweber1976 TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2014
    SE Mass
    Yes, please show us how she looks with the maple neck!

2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic

May 31, 2014
    austin
    Would a vintage style 3 or 6 saddle bridge fit on this easily?
    If I got one of these as a mod platform , would I be able to put a vintage tele bridge and a humbucker in the neck?

3. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    I think no on the vintage bridge and pick up. You could use a wilkinson WTBC or WTBS. It sounds likes on the neck HB

4. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic

May 31, 2014
    austin
    That wtbs would def be in the ballpark aesthetically
    Thanks a ton.

5. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    FWIW. I think those wilkinson bridges are just tele bridges chopped in half. I have a vintage bridge ordered I'm going to chop in half for my squier 51 as an experiment. I'll let you know how it goes.

6. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Lol well we don't buy them for the hardware. I bought my Affinity at a physical store thinking "can I get 10% more off this thing and just take the wood, no metal?..." Entry level squires make great modding platforms, much of the time.

EDIT: I just realized how old this thread was. Maybe this is one of those "cool" zombie threads where it's ok to resurrect them.

7. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I know I'm new to this forum (but not guitar forums in general), and this poster's post is old, but why would anyone say this on a Telecaster forum? There are certainly better ways to say "junk" that won't make someone feel rotten. Perhaps it's all they can afford, and someone just told them their purchase is "junk." That sure doesn't make me want to stick around here!

The player who buys a $5,000 PRS or some other higher-end guitar may very well think someone's $400 MIM Tele is junk. It's all relative, depending on your goals and your pocketbook.

8. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2008
    NC
    Good points Diamond. Your band mate Edward Van Halen did some amazing things on "junk". Richie Blackmore, Clapton - heck, any baby boomer cut their teeth (and fingers) on "junk" that makes this "junk" tele look like a Stradivarius. And Bo Diddly, B.B. and Muddy Waters? All they could swing was a cigar box gitty.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the point to take away is, some people are so talented and so intent to persevere they can play almost anything or can make the crummy unplayable guitar into something they will use whether we like it or not.

The Thing that keeps happening which annoys me is not people who can make great music with cast off guitar finds (they're cool). No, not them. I wanna single out the guy who does the "Camel gets the Nose in the Tent" thing on us. The Camel:

a) never admits that one batch of Cheap Model X is spiffy but that the next one was all garbage;

b) never admits he has to spend a lot of extra time on upkeep - on keeping the relief where it should be as it keeps changing;

c) forgets he spent over 3 hours replacing the nut on the Squier (great idea, but take 30m) and he could've gone into the Office and made $ 250 in those 3 hours;

d) never admits he replaced the neck plate and screws with premium stuff for $ 40;

e) won't acknowledge that while the guitar sounds fabulous on these 2 amps playing a certain type of music, it cannot reproduce other sounds some of us will need and it sounds like he11 on amps C, D and E.

No, your $ 250 upgraded Squier is real fun to play (I've had 39 Squiers) but you are smoking something real strong saying your guitar is now equal to some guy's $ 2,000 guitar. And you're insulting our intelligence, with all due respect.

Can't the camel just stick his head in? Why does he have to climb all the way in and make a fool of everyone? :^

10. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    Cork sniffers! Braggarts! They need some way to feel superior to others, so they have to flaunt their high dollar gear. Manual labor, working and crafting with their own two hands is below them. Of course not everyone here earns $83.33/hour and can spend that kind of money for an MIA.

I said more, but I restrained myself and deleted it, before posting.

11. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Sarcasm much? :D

12. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    These Teles are now $90.00 on sale at GC again, if anyone else wants to try one.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Bullet-HS-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-109322396-i3225413.gc

My question is to anyone who has played one of these for a while. The neck looks pretty thin. Has your neck stayed stable? Do you still like the feel?

Also, what size tuner holes are in the these?

I am thinking of buying one to use the neck in a GFS body. I just measured the neck at GC and it looks like a good fit. Any reason you would chose something else?

I think I could sell off the body and other bits and end up with a pretty cheap neck. I don't see these Tele bodies with double bucker routs on Ebay yet so hard to know what one would sell for. Any idea?

13. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Still love mine. Tuner holes are 10.5mm. I plan to get some adapter bushings from stew mac and drop in a set of vintage split post tuners.

14. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Excellent Score!!

Tonetele- I think you are correct, but a bit behind the present curve. I remember the chunky, clunky Japanese Squires of about 12-15 years ago- They truly fought with you to play 'em, and I have never modded one, so the bodies were probably cheap ply laminate…

Their lines above the entry levels one these days (Vintage Modified series, "Spec ail" series etc) even stand up well to the MIM fenders-

If you need a body and neck to mod- get one of the $300 Squires- you won't regret it..

As for this beauty, I love the color and pick guard! And STRING THROUGH is awesome as well for $99

I would drop in a replacement pups- Texas Tele neck, and bridge HB WITH a coil-split. drill and mount a micro-toggle between the V/T knobs on the control plate- Killer Axe!!
    But that's me ;) Carl (oh, and reverse the control plate while I was under there- Give it that "pawn shop modified" look:cool::cool:

15. brassbarrels

brassbarrels TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Picked up one of these from GC for $89 with the same plan in mind. Problem though…these Bullets have American Standard type bridges with three mounting holes and the string-through holes ahead of the mounting holes. The vintage bridges are four hole mounting with string-through holes behind them. A vintage bridge mounted will have the factory drilled mounting holes showing just below the bridge (even the Callaham half-bridge). On the plus side a humbucker will fit in the neck. I'm going for chrome hardware and 2 chrome buckers.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

16. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    Here is my experiment with my 2005 squier 51, which is really almost like a cousin to bullet tele guitar in many ways. The 51 had the maligned 5 screw bridge. Rather than shell out $24 for a quality wilkinson bridge I figured, why not keep this all Asian? (I know most wilkinson bridges are made there too).

So I shelled out for 2 bridges from Hong Kong. One for another project. Here are the results.

I used my cutting wheel.

Attached Files:

17. brassbarrels

brassbarrels TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Ah, a top-loader bridge – that would cover the original mounting holes with some clever placement. This is what mine looks like with the Wilkinson bridge mocked-up over the string-through holes.

[​IMG]

I found a Joe Barden classic 3 saddle bridge that some cutting wheel surgery might work on for this HS model.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.