Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is this for $119?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Danno, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2008
    NC

2. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2008
    NC

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    i like the matte or grey pg on the orange

4. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Just like it says--a Squier Bullet Tele.

The Bullet series is Squier's entry level line, below the Affinity.

The Bullet Strat has cheaper tuners and a bigger neck profile than the Affinity Strat. I suspect that the Bullet Tele has a similar neck profile and substitutes a bridge humbucker as well as a Squier '51-style bridge for the standard Tele bridge pickup and bridgeplate.

Several years ago there was special run of H-H Squier Bullet Teles. These were supposedly pretty decent for the low price.

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    And, according to the GC mailer I just got, it'll be $99 next week. Loss leader!

6. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2008
    Gypsy Caravan
    I wonder if it's pool routed under that pickguard making it easy to mod it into a double fat Tele? Hmmm.

7. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    I'd suspect so since there was a double fat Squier Bullet Tele in the not so distant past.;)

8. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    Full thickness body ?

9. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2009
    OH
    I picked up one of the HH's not too long ago. It was amazing to me the difference between the handful of models on the sales floor (weight, feel, etc). This one looks cool though especially with the interesting color selection.

10. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2009
    OH
    Here is a video using a Squier HH Bullet Tele that has a few mods. :oops: It was more of a (quickly thrown together) pedal demo at the time but it has pictures of the modded Bullet Tele. The neck isn't quite as comfortable as some of my other (more expensive) tele's but really not bad (although the new ones may be nothing like the old).

I definitely got a lot for what I paid for it (during one of their sales). The new ones would make a fun modding project. :idea:

11. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2011
    Right Coast

12. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

The Bullet Strats tuners may be "cheap" but they work, no rough or slack spots and no slippage, mine stays in tune well. The neck is a beauty great for melody, single note, playing fast or slow. There might be some junk Bullet Strats around but the one I have sure isn't so, if the Bullet Teles are as good, I'd go for it, Sunburst though.

13. MeanGene28

MeanGene28 TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks for the heads up! I kinda want to pick one of these up to play around with, Hum bridge/Tele neck pickup is something I like. I dig the orange one. My only hope is the frets aren't super tiny.

14. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2009
    Hills of Arkansas
    Waiting on an update. Anyone go and check one out?

15. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2008
    NC
    Rondo has a CAR in stock now for $90:

[​IMG]

Choices, choices...

A little bright - hope it's just the lighting.

Kinda liking the headstock - round off those pointy parts:

[​IMG]

16. Aerohotrod

Aerohotrod TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Northern IL.
    I just bought a metallic orange one today and I think its the best money I've spent in years. In fact,its kinda what made me go ahead and be part of the forum. I just had to tell you guys about it. Beautiful guitar!Great modding platform. Feels half the weight of my MiM Tele. Very,very resonant basswood body. String thru bridge,thats right,string thru. Same tuners as the Affinity and Standard Squire Telecasters it seems. Going to be able to drop a set of locking Fender tuners in easily if I ever do. The tuners on it do a great job so far. Setup almost perfectly right out of the box. String height is just a tad over 2/64" on treble E string and 3/64" on the bass E string at the 12th fret with no capo. Does need a little work on the fret ends,not bad but you can feel them,but otherwise the fretwork is great all over the neck. Frets are bit tiny but so far I can't fret out a note no matter how hard I bend. But I'm a wuss so my bends aren't all that great anyway. I have so far done nothing to it but tuned it up and have played on it non stop for about 6 hours today. My fingers are so sore. But I got a mile wide smile on my face because I simply love this guitar. The pickups are even okay for so cheap. I did pop out the screws on the pickguard(it is black/charcoal with glitter in it,real nice looking) to see if it would take a p90 in the bridge and it is routed for a humbucker! Front tele pickup is adjustable without taking off the pickguard,sadly the humbucker is not coil tapped. Neck has no finish on it and is smooth as silk on mine. Suprisingly the nut is cut really well too. Sure I might have got a one in a million guitar but I watched them take it out of the box at GC because they didn't have any on the floor. I didn't even look at any of the other two colors or another one as this one was perfect. Hopefully they will stay at this price long enough for me to get a sunburst one next payday. I got a feeling this will be the next big modding platform even though it don't need much and at $99.99 you just can't go wrong.

17. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    pics!

18. Aerohotrod

Aerohotrod TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Northern IL.
    They are not the best,but here are a few pics. I'll get better ones tomorrow when I can use a better camera and not wake the kids. I think I saw where someone asked about body thickness,it is 1 3/4" thick if I measured right. Still has the plastic on the pickups. Like I said,all I've done so far it tune it and play. Seems like it is the same body/neck/gear as the FSR Bullet Tele that sells for twice as much but not nearly as pretty. Did finally found a flaw after taking the pictures. Seems two of the tuners are just a smidgen off on the mounting. Nothing major and really it might be fixable when I put on different strings and check the tuners out further. So far they hold okay after the strings settled in. Intonation is spot on too.

Attached Files:

19. gptco

gptco Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2009
    colorado springs
    I beg to differ.
    Cheap parts, I guess, cheap wood, labor, etc. I guess.
    Lightweight, plays great, sound super.
    I bought one this morning.

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Some Squires are really low quality. The pickups are shrill, tuners almost useless and the bodies are not even wood, layers of whatever. Have modified a lot of these to make them sort of useful. Body depth is not even able to take a new CRL switch. I'd go for a MIM Fender JMHO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.