Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

What is the most recent great thing in dust collection?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Buckocaster51, Dec 28, 2017.

1. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    Have had a large Grizzly unit in the shop for 20+ years. Works great. When using it as a shop vac don't let anything of value near it because if it fits in the hose it's gone. Use 4" pvc and make sure you have a ground in it.
    telemnemonics and Buckocaster51 like this.

2. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New England
    I know it's a bit poo poo'd, but I connect my shop vac to my thickness sander, table saw and spindle sander. No real complaints, except when the damn filter falls off inside the vac and starts filling the air with dust! I think that may be a "feature" of the Craftsman vacs. Grr.

For my band saw, I just vacuum the dust up after I'm done. Same with my router table (which is something I wish I had a solution for, as that makes the biggest mess in my shop).

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    IMO the latest best thing in dust collection is the used market.
    I bought a used 1hp Jet maybe 8 years ago for $175 and it's been a reliable pro grade machine.
    Big wood shop machinery doesn't really age like cars or landscaping/ excavating machinery, so to my thinking it's good to shop for used.
    Some stuff gets snapped up quick if you live in an area where everybody has a home workshop.

This is what I have:

This is the Grizzly equivalent at half the price of the Jet:
    devrock likes this.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    It kinda depends on your situation. Are you planning to set up permanent ducts to multiple tools, with gates at each one, or a roll-around unit you move from station to station? How much dust are we talking, 30 gallons per day, more? way less? Daily use or occasional use? Planing and jointing produces gobs of shavings, so does turning. Etc.

I agree with Teleminniemonics, buying used is a good way to save money

One of these, made by Fein, is great for small tools, like routers, chop saws, table saws, drill press, hand sanders. They're expensive but worth it. You plug the tool into the outlet on the vacuum,when you start the tool, the vacuum starts up at the same time; when you turn off the tool, the vacuum runs for a few more seconds to clear the hose, then shuts off. Very handy:

I've also had good luck with one of these, I got used for $300:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    devrock and telemnemonics like this.

5. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    If WilliamTele chimes in ,He,s got plenty of Air!:)
    Sorry I couldn't resist!

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    I actually use a shop vac on my 12" Dewalt chopsaw, and on the jobsite a shop vac connects to the portable Dewalt table saw.
    The bigger Jet is in the shop for the shop table saw.
    All the collectors have their own switches though, because I don't really do production work at home.
    In bigger shops we sometimes had several collectors as well, like one just for the thickness planer that can be emptied more easily since it had to be done several times a day, and was not collecting "dust".
    Actually most shops I've worked in have been custom, not production, so we got paid to flip those switches, instead of it coming out of our profit margin.
    Buckocaster51 likes this.

7. LinusNYC

LinusNYC TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a grizzly wall mounted 1hp unit. I put a chip separator in front of it. The Dust Deputy with a 4” inlet was too expensive for me so I got a plastic lid/separator that you put on a 30 gallon trash can. It works well.

I still have a shop vac on my ROSS.

I have the grizzly air filter too. I just turn it on when I’m sanding.
    Buckocaster51 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.