Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is the most recent great thing in dust collection?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Buckocaster51, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    What are you all using?

Portable things?

This Oneida system looks like it would be good...

Should I build a stationary system into the shop?

Is Grizzly stuff any good?

So much to learn...

2. johnboy99

johnboy99 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2012
    florida
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't resist...

3. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Grizzly?

Nickadermis likes this.

4. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I have an Oneida dust deputy hooked up to a large rigid shop vac. It really works great.

Buckocaster51 likes this.

5. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Looking around, I'd say my house.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Grizzly is generally rated pretty highly, as is Laguna. The major downside to a stationary system is the work (and extra cost) of running the lines and gates, plus the need to run a more powerful collector to offset the additional tubing.

7. spyderxxx

spyderxxx Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2008
    Cambridge Ontario

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    well after all these years... I find the best, most efficient dust collection is to open the doors at both ends of the shop and turn on the industrial fan to high....

rk

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    You want something that sucks. Deliberately.

10. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Yoakum, Texas
    YES! Not to mention the owner of Grizzy is a guitar builder as well. I have a full setup of Grizzy tools - band saw, table saw, planner, jointer, and a dust collector as well. Unfortunately, I've never hooked the dust collector up as I've never had my "dream shop" built. But the rest of the stuff is top notch.

11. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nov 3, 2010
    Missoula, Montana
    I used to use single stage collectors where everything picked up went through the impeller into a bag. Moved to a two stage setup with cyclone and would not want to go back. I have multiple machines needing dust collection though but back when the shop was smaller the portables worked very well. My first collector was a 1hp Grizzly. I used it for years then gave it to my brother who still uses it. Never have had an issue with it.

12. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    My old 8 track tape player is pretty good at collecting dust these days.

[​IMG]

telemnemonics, DonM, paulmarr and 3 others like this.

13. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    :lol:

It's this for me too!

I_build_my_own likes this.

14. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Kids, this is really good information. Thanks much!

Keep it coming

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Ah, I think Engelbert Humperdink got a lot of play in the 8 track player back in the day...

16. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    try a Dyson vaccuum it could suck a bowling ball through that hose and a crap load of dust!

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Okay, I have a bit more time to get wordy with this one...

What I wound up with is a smaller Rockler wall-mount collector, 650CFM with a 4" inlet. I mounted it on a little roll-around platform, with a chip separator on it and storage for a couple of lengths of flexible 4" hose. It takes up about the same amount of floor space as a stationary collector, but I can move it around as needed and place it near the tool I am using at the time. Because I'm running very short hose runs when using it, the lower airflow is still more than adequate-even when I'm going to town with the planer.

I use this setup with my table saw, router table, planer, and miter saw, and I have a shop vac with a dust bag in it for the rest of my tools.

18. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    I use the Dust Deputy and a shop vac for the ROSS, the random orbit sander and the bandsaw. Stuff that makes larger chips go into a portable Jet dust collector (table saw, planer, jointer, router table). And there's a Delta air cleaner overhead for hand sanding and real fine dust.
    The dust deputy is essential if you have a HEPA filter in the shop vac because without it the filter clogs too quickly

19. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2015
    California
    I’m no fluid dynamics expert, and will probably get corrected by some engineer, but hell, this is the internet so I’m going to spout off ...

I think different machines need different things. Some need power, and some need high CFM.

If you are inhaling through a drinking straw, you have a lot of power. You can probably lift up a penny with your straw. If you try to clear a room of dust with that straw though, you would fail miserably.

A box fan in the doorway could clear a room of dust fairly well, but don’t try vacuuming your carpets with a box fan.

Shop vacs are made for lifting things off the floor, not for moving large volumes of air. They work really well on the blade guard port of a table saw, but are less good in the bottom compartment of a bandsaw.

If hook even a cheap Grizzly floor model to your bandsaw it works pretty well, but is not as good as the shop vac at sucking wood chips from under your work bench.

20. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    My biggest dust generator is my cnc table. Got a shopvac hooked up to the dust shoe and it gets most of it, essentially all of the fine dust which is the dangerous stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.