Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Is The Most Preferred and Why?? Bridge saddles......

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by daza152, Jan 12, 2019 at 1:15 PM.

1. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2012
    NZ
    Hey guys I recently acquired that stunning Crimson Translucent Am Std Tele, and just interested in what I seen and heard about my Fender stamped bridge saddles, even though these are the original saddles some say and use the other kind of 6-saddles like in these photos below... Your opinions please? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or are these much better, precision wise...?

[​IMG]

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    I've got guitars with all three types. No preference as far as breakage, staying in tune, or intonation. I have noticed that sometimes I can scratch my hand on my old MIM Strat bridge, which has saddles like the bridge in the top photo. My hand shouldn't be down there anyways.

Jim622 likes this.
  3. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2012
    NZ
  4. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2011
    Albany,NY
    I vote old school, works great, and love the look.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    Brass saddles do add a nice touch to the appearance.

mimmo likes this.
  6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    They all work and sound great.
    NONE of the other saddles in the pics you provided can replace the original saddles of your Am STD Tele anyhow.

Gibson and daza152 like this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I like the barrels, steel for the low E/A, to maintain maximum twang on those strings, and brass for the rest, to warm things up a bit and help avoid icepick tone

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    For precision in intonation, six individual saddles are your best best, since you can "dial in" each one without affecting any of the others. On, say, a Strat with a floating bridge, moving one saddle for intonation will affect all the strings. Not that you can't eventually get them all right, it just takes a lot of adjusting and re-adjusting as you get closer and closer.

In a three-saddle set-up, moving the saddle for intonation on one string will always affect the intonation on the other string sharing that saddle. It may be impossible to get it all "perfect" (unless you happen to be lucky and your tuning, string gauges, scale length and other factors all line up "just right"), but you can get it pretty close, enough so that your ears likely won't notice anything being off to a bothersome degree. It's not like we're all here bemoaning the piss-poor intonation in recordings made when three-saddle bridges were all Tele's had). There are also various saddles available for a three-saddle set-up that are compensated in one way or another to make up for the intonation difficulties present when two strings share a saddle. Fender makes slanted one, Wilkinson makes notched ones, and there are others.

For my part, my Tele is a MIM Standard that came with saddles like in your second pic. I liked its "stronger" tone compared to my Strat's (which sounds "softer", probably due to its floating trem; less tight clamping-together between parts), and I decided to see if switching to a three-saddle set-up would help enhance that characteristic. I'm no expert, but I thought it might have to do with fewer parts (and therefore less separation between parts) of greater mass. Regardless, I got the results I wanted, and I prefer how it looks, as well (a silly reason to make a mod, perhaps, but an added benefit I got). I used Fenders slanted saddles, and while the intonation is not technically "perfect", it's close enough that it may as well be (I'm taking one or two lines off-center in either direction on my Snark tuner).

As far as your first pic vs. the second, my American Deluxe Strat came with the flat-top saddles that work fine and are comfortable for palm-muting so long as the height-adjustment screws don't poke out the top. It's not like I do metal-style palm muting anyway, so I'm not likely to have my hand chewed up by them. I've never used saddles like in your first pic, though I am considering getting some from Callaham for my Strat. Plenty of people like them just fine, and some even prefer them.

Greggorios, daza152 and Evil Funk like this.
  9. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2012
    NZ
    My MIJ62 strat doesn't have the fender branded bent saddles, but most did, they are unbranded saddles not sure if original the bridge is definitely. probably won't fit that I imagine, so I guess I should just leave my Tele saddles alone, as they are original.

10. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Tele "twang" goes well with metal-on-metal.

Gibson "smoothness" goes well with nylon saddles (but metal OK for LP's).

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Good to know. Good to know what guitar we're talking about since there's a number of Templates and some will readily accept a 3 barrel St. Leo style saddles and bridge and some just will not. Does no good to know of great sounding saddles if they cannot effectively be affixed to your guitar. I mean, the guitar may work but it won't be brilliant in use or effect.

I like the bridge/saddle combo you have for the Template of guitar you have. The second image you show is inferior IMO and many people with it would like to switch to the one you have (but sourcing is burdensome/miserable). But what you could do is replace your existing "paint grade" bent steel saddles with some premium ones from Bill Callaham or Highwood. Better materials, much more precise tolerances and manufacture - will way outlast and outwear what you have.

The 3 barrel designs really only work with the through holes pushed way down on the body. Fender has within the last years introduced a 3 barrel model with the through holes close together and high and it isn't appearing to sell well - and I suspect this is because the player (even without understanding why) is dissatisfied with the net result.

Look at the recent Debacle with the roll out of the T version of the MIM "Player" replacement for the MIM Standard. The guys were having issues replacing the strings and this betrayed the fact that the whole undertaking was rushed and not thought through - I think FMIC did the same thing on their American models (except the Elite Thinline) with 3 saddles. I'm talking about these:

https://www.fender.com/products/electric-guitars/telecaster/american-professional

I think FMIC messed up and I'm still not sure they've caught on to it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    daza152 likes this.
  12. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Aug 12, 2008
    Buffalo
    I have all of these bridges currently and while I prefer the 3 saddle approach I almost always wind up sounding like me.

How about a pic of the whole guitar? I am fond of the trans finishes.

daza152 likes this.
  13. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2012
    NZ
    I posted it a couple of days ago "Happy NGD to me!!"

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    If it works then go with it is my motto. If it starts giving you fits then start looking at alternatives

daza152 likes this.
  15. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    Old school for me please. I don't know if it is better in any way than individual saddles, but for me it is part of what makes a tele a tele.

16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Do yourself a favor--
    https://masterybridge.com/

17. Bergy

Bergy TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Denver
    That first bridge looks uncomfortable. I just had 3 weeks of saddle rash from saddles that were less pokey than that.

I’ve played the 2nd picture saddles the most of the 3, but mostly on Strats. To some, 6 saddles on a tele ain’t right. I like the adjustability of em, though.

I feel much better about the 3 barrel brass ones after they have been notched. My string spacing always gets jacked up without those notches. I notice that problem the most when I am hybrid picking.

18. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

May 13, 2015
    Cicero, IL
    I for one can't stand brass saddles. Love threaded steel saddles.

daza152 likes this.
  19. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2012
    NZ
    Is that what I have? I don't think I should change saddles anymore sure the look of brass looks vintage but at this stage in my playing I want reliability in the intonation, plus why would I change an American Standard Telecaster's bridge saddles I mean it perfect the way it is, tock pickups too, I am running thru a Katana 50 amp which I am over and selling to fund a all-tube amp. cheers

20. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Two brass, one aluminum for the E&A....warmth and twang...
    20180720_004421.jpg
    Don't forget the ferrules, mine are brass for the E,B,and G strings and aluminum for the E,A and D strings....all from Glendale....
    20180720_004830.jpg

RJ

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 12:33 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.