What is the favorite tuner pedal these days?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schenkadere, Apr 16, 2019.

1. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Maybe there's something I'm not aware of. Thanks!

2. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I’m away from tuner pedals entirely. Im just a clip on headstock guy these days. The dadario (or whatever) ones are real nice.

nojazzhere and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. schenkadere

I did that too and I think I'm reverting.

4. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Korg Pitch Black Poly. Simple, works great, and the ability to strum and see tuning on all 6 strings at once is like some crazy witchcraft.

5. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

6. schenkadere

Similar to the Polytune? Curious how those 2 compare.

7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I, too, can't use clip on live. Often there will be too much rumbling bass from the DJ or band playing that throws them off. Plus I don't like the look on stage.

The Polytune mini is nice, being it takes less space. That said, the mini pedals don't seem to hold up. Mine is fine, but my bandmate's is already acting up, only a couple of years old. Plus, I've had 2 other mini pedals (albeit cheap Mooers) fail within a short amount of time, leaving me feeling that their toughness is compromised by the mini design.

FWIW, I never use the "all strings at once" feature and the precision over a Boss is not really needed live, though it's nice when setting intonation at home (I use a Polytune clip on for that). I also had a Planet Waves pedal tuner that failed after a few months, and clip on Planet Waves tuners that also failed. All this has left me feeling that a good ol' Boss tuner is the way to go - bulletproof and accurate enough for live playing. I have seem some boards with TU2s that have been to hell and back still in use. Quality of electronics stuff seems to be declining and the old Boss pedals were built solid. The new ones may be too, I don't know.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I always, wonder, what do people think they are missing out on with pedal tuners?

They're all good enough. After that, it's just whether you like the user interface.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    teletimetx likes this.
  9. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Good old Boss---works great, lasts a long time, maybe forever. Tried one of the 6 strings at once tuners, but if you got it perfect with all 6, when you went to individual strings, it was off. If I'm not using a boss, (or a Peterson for setting intonation) the Snark clip-on is great.

Unionjack515 and MilwMark like this.
  10. schenkadere

My clip ons have been hit or miss and my headstocks aren't really accomodating.

BB likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

As I've said before, I quit using a pedal tuner several years ago.....I use the micro D'Addario clip on. It's accurate, unobtrusive (behind the headstock) and I can tune anywhere on stage without going back to my pedal board. AND....they're so cheap, I can carry a backup as a spare in case it craps out, although it never has. I put a tiny screw through the "clip on bracket" so I don't have to worry about it shaking off.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Boss TU-12H for "real" tuning. Korg Pitchblack for gigs.

13. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I am on my third tuner pedal, a Boss TU-3, which I think is the best of the ones I have tried for gigging. I started with a Korg Pitchblack knockoff, which was OK but started having issues. I got the Sonic Research TurboTuner next which was very precise, but I found a little hard to read in some lighting situations. Plus it took me a long time to get the hang of which way the readout revolved to show sharp vs. flat, it was not intuitive. I had all true bypass pedals on my board (including the TurboTuner) and was getting a little more treble dropoff that I wanted, so I bought the Boss tuner since it has a buffer. I also found it easier to read (it even has a way to crank up the brightness level of the display, though I have not used that feature) and the readout makes more sense to me. It seems to be plenty accurate for my purposes, but if you are doing setups or have dog hearing you may want to go with the TurboTuner or some kind of Peterson strobe tuner or something of that ilk.

MilwMark likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The thing I never got, to borrow @Knowcaster's nice image, is, if one has dog ears, can they actually play anything on the guitar? Because as soon as you fret a note, everything is no longer "perfect".

lineboat and Ian T like this.
  15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I've been using a GoGo Horizon tuner, very easy-to-see and seems accurate enough. They showed up on Massdrop for cheap city but seems to be back up to $100 (or $70 for the more conventional shape). Solid product, as is the Korg Pitchblack at $60. I assume the Boss is good, too, as I've seen a million of them -- never owned one though. I share the view that the pedal is the way to go. Too many emergency tuneups on a crowded stage where the clip-on loses the pitch.

16. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Polytune 3.

17. StanleyAccrington

StanleyAccrington Tele-Meister

I still use my ancient Digitech Hardwire HT6 polytune.

bsman and Paul in Colorado like this.
  18. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think there's much to miss out on either.

I used a Boss TU-2 for 15 years, worked flawlessly, then ooops, maybe fatman cajon player stepped on it sideways, break it; who knows? it no function no mo'. lights just travel in trapped circle, maybe I take it apart and fix it one of these days. Maybe not.

So I got the TU-3. Works fine, also. no problems. Tune up first set, takes a minute, check tuning, second set, fine. maybe I hear something, middle of a set. check it out, quick and easy. It's not rocket science.

...and while I'm in a grouchy mood - ok, does your clip on tuner have a mute button? do you imagine that your audience loves to hear your tuning routine?

Because fatman cajon player? Sometimes, he also plays rhythm guitar and listening to him tune is pure torture. Takes him way too long and he still can't get it right using an expensive strobe tuner built into the soundboard...wtf?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    MilwMark and AlbertaGriff like this.
  19. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

I use the Peterson strobo tuner ap on my iPhone. It’s strictly an acoustic tuner though. Otherwise a clip on of just about any make is generally adequate.

20. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Mute button? How about volume knob? I use the Polytune clip-on because I'm determined to keep my pedalboard small.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.