Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is sport?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SURF, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    It all comes down to attracting the chicks.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.
  2. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    They even started finding motors inside the bicycles!

(I also like riding the bike.)

3. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    There are some sports that I find very hard to take seriously, because of repeated offences being left unchecked historically.

Tour Road Cycling - because of media exposure (rightly or incorrectly) that implies that everyone in it cheats.

Boxing - because fixed fights (when they do occur) are so obvious to see, buy judges and/or boxers alike.

Soccer or 'Football' - because instant replays (even shown in big screens live at the stadiums) clearly show blatant hollywood injury acting, which the officials ignore for whatever reason - bringing their competence into question. TV goes off when actors stay on.

william tele and SURF like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Let's face it, any sport after the Roman Gladiator arena sport, seems kinda mundane, lame and inconsequential.

SURF and TwangyWhammy like this.
  5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I can't think of anything wrong with being the fastest. It's not rooted in greed or malice, just the desire to move.

The only sport I care about is motorcycle racing.

Because of racing, motorcycles get better, and knowledge of technique improves for anyone interested. My technique has kept me alive.

But, I am aware of a few racers who never ride motorcycles on the street. Only the track. I feel so sorry for them. They will never experience the real fruits of their labor. Just going around in circles, never going anywhere. What if you want to ride to dinner? The concession stand I guess. Or they ride inside those sad little boxes.

SURF likes this.
  6. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    There are exceptions...

SURF and Obsessed like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Ya know, rugby is close, but without ball and chains ... I dunno.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm just wondering what makes a guy think standing down range when a projectile is coming at you is a good idea?

TwangyWhammy likes this.
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Yep, usually classified as "enemies" not 'Judges'. I can't see the early Greeks yelling " Hey Hector that was a great throw, you killed Hermes. I'll give you a 10 on that one".

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I see you know your javelin throwing. Seemed to me like, hey fellas lets go shooting, I'll be your spotter from the TARGET end!

11. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I have both. And I compete in a couple sports.

SURF likes this.
  12. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I hear ya, and I'm not disagreeing. I can however appreciate why some choose not to ride on the roads. Well, my sentiment is perhaps only relevant in my country because of how poorly our motorists can drive (easily offended, impetuous and very territorial). So, I'm not implying anything about your district.

About 10 years ago, I had to be rushed by ambulance to the emergency ward at our public hospital (couldn't afford private)... I came close to 'kicking the bucket' due to severe blood poisoning (septicaemia). I spent a week in the critical ward, a large room with 8 beds under constant watch by hospital staff. The only way I can describe that hall room is that everyone in there, groans... day and night. Let's just say you can call it morphine alley.

With the exception of one guy (punctured stomach from a metal shard he swallowed from a cheap tin can opener) and myself, everyone else came from motorcycle accidents. During the course of my stay, more arrived - same thing. Very common according to hospital staff. The place resembled a motorcycle club. Incidentally, had already given up my motorbike years ago when my kids were born, but that experience was an eye opener.

Had I been asked what sort of bike I had, I would've said 'PSA.'
    (I got my infection from a prostate biopsy gone wrong).

SURF likes this.
  13. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    It's closer than you realise...

Rugby Sprigs.png

Obsessed likes this.
  14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    It seems that your country is quite good at two of those events. :)

15. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    I can. There were folks on the hills rubbing caravans. They were fast in that. All that downhill things... But I agree - it's good to be able to run faster than everybody around.

And? Which ones BTW?

No chicks for free...

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I was referring to the vast majority people who only watch sports without actually DOING anything.

17. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Everyone gets a participation trophy :)

18. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    I have a friend that says it isn't a sport, unless there is a ball involved. Not sure I agree.

19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Is trolling a sport?

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    it is now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.