Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

what is shredding

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LeftyAl, Jan 11, 2018.

1. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    Perfect description.

telemnemonics and Teleterr like this.

2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    beagle likes this.

4. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    The world needs muesli...:cool:

Toto'sDad likes this.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Mmmmmmm,

[​IMG]

6. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Couldn't have said it better.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    If shredders are great musicians, then auctioneers are great public speakers.

8. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Why bother with a heavy metal rig?

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    To me...and I ain’t saying I’m right...

Shredding is some really fast lead skills, distorted and gained to the point of total crap. And this distortion makes the lead skill appear much higher than it actually is.

Same guitarist playing that same part through a clean channel?

Can’t do it. It would sound WORSE than crap.

10. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Really?

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You call that shredding?

Seriously?

Or should I say, really?

12. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Yes, I call playing fast shredding; Django, Albert Lee, Shawn Lane, Coltrane, Hellecasters, Liszt, Pagnini, even Bach are shredders. I don't find their playing fast any different from your defining it as "overdriven crap."

But I like, or at least appreciate, all musical art forms.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM
    awasson likes this.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I think his point was that the same player is given on the first page of this thread as an example of a shredder, with distortion and all. And here he is playing clean, and nicely.

I also don't think you are completely correct. Certainly there are "shredders" who couldn't play clean well. But many of them are very accomplished musicians who prefer the addition of distortion, sustain and even feedback that comes from lot's of drive.

Teleterr and Area51 like this.

14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    All the hating on shredders never ceases to amaze me. If you don't like it/get it, don't listen to it. I like all kinds of music, including shredding. Just because you CAN play REALLY fast doesn't mean you don't have passion, emotion, or feeling. Sure, there are some fast players that seem to just noodle around, but that is by no means the norm. Joe Satriani (my favorite "shredder") is in my opinion one of the most emotive guitarists on the planet. I still get goosebumps every time I listen to this:

Maybe you don't like it. I love it!!!

15. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

16. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Anyone who plays a solo more than 12 bars or a note faster than an 8th note is a shredder. I don' like em. Don' trust em.

17. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I like fast playing , but not shredding. Playing a scale of 64th notes is "shredding" to me, because it probably would work just as well w notes at half or 1/4 the tempo. But if you listen to Randy Rhodes Baroque trills on Blizzard of Oz, they wouldn t work slower because each note cluster acts as a replacement for one note, and then the line is constructed from them together. Vastly different from playing scales fast. Same is true of McLaughlin. I don t hear that in lots of technical guitarists. If youre just playing what a slower guitarist could play faster, thats not really better.

18. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey

Buckethead is the master. Plays with soul, and is one of the fastest and most accurate shredders. I've seen him live up close. He is a true guitar virtuoso. Shredding begins aroun 4:15 of the video. Shredding, done properly, can be musically pleasing.

jman72 likes this.

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle

20. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England

Yes. The pick attack of a John Petrucci can be quite musically percussive and artistic. The extreme flurry of a sweep by Frank Gambale can communicate a majestic musical mood.

To me, the key is moderation. Using such skills for artistic reasons is the hurdle. Because the human condition and the weakness of ego can often lead many musicians (with such skills) to over indulge.

Teleterr likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.