Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

what is shredding

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LeftyAl, Jan 11, 2018.

1. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Niccolo Paganini could qualify as one of the first shredders and rock stars.

Simply put, shredding is executing extreme speed or complex techniques on an instrument typically for the effect of showing off, generating excitement or even adding a touch of humor.

One can shred on an electric or acoustic instrument.

telemnemonics and Anode100 like this.

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Well, I'm so slow and inept, I would be - at best - described as someone who lacerates clumsily :confused:

Obsessed likes this.

3. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Pointless virtuosity. Musical masturbation. Total self-indulgence. Of no interest to anyone else except the shredder. Although often admired by teenage boys ... there's probably an obvious connection there - but someone else can point it out. ;)

Fearnot, Teleterr, bluzkat and 3 others like this.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The only reason my playing has any element of speed is because of my ability to do a hammer-on.

awasson, Pixies2005, Obsessed and 2 others like this.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Ha ha. That I can do but I'm mostly from the BB King school of soloing. Why play 10 notes when 3 will do. Space is music too. Of course since I started on bass I still think like one.....slowly. :D

In my world Eric Clapton is shredding. :lol:

6. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    playing at a rate that prohibits subtle phrasing of individual notes
    if it sounds like a typewriter instead of a guitar, you're shredding

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville

8. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Here's what I regard as an example of good shredding: the solo that comes in at 1.38. The way he follows the chord progression is exquisite, imo.

Frodebro, 3-Chord-Genius and Anode100 like this.

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    To me it's speed over everything else. No landing on notes that harmonize or blend. No subtle style of mojo blending with a band.....just speed with ridiculous gain.

Hornets in a beer can.

Fearnot likes this.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Come see me play!
    Everything I do is (not) shredding!

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

This guy is but I like his playing. I think they should design and name a guitar after him he's so good.

Teleterr, LowThudd, 3fngrs and 2 others like this.

12. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Bless him - he was so funny too. We miss you, Les!

13. grilldanmo

grilldanmo Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2017
    United States of America
    Even that's subjective. Many classical players and jazz musicians can play a ridiculous rates with insane phrasing, as it's something they practice extensively. In classical music it's often written in the music or expected by the conductor and they'll insist on articulations of specific notes within insane passages. John Coltrane's mastery of saxophone was such that he was able to to go as subtle or extreme as one could imagine within any note he chose. Chris Thile's playing is mind-boggling, but his control and expressive abilities are equally so.

There was a great clip I saw almost 20 years ago on ovation or some such channel with a world class violinist (whose name I cannot remember) working with students. They were performing at something like a masterclass critical recital. They each played their pieces, all extremely well, most had several (many) sections that demanded high technical abilities. After each student played the "teacher" would praise what they had done and start to address an area of each student's performance. At least half of these moments were about a particularly fast and complicated passage. He'd play it as they did, then he'd play it another way to show them how they could have inflected things differently, imbue their performances with more passion and nuance. Sometimes he'd do three or four swipes as he thought of other ways to embellish the piece while staying true/accurate to the music. It was amazing to watch.

In the realm of instrumental neo-classical progressive fusion (or whatever you want to call it), it comes off more often than not as flogging.

telemnemonics likes this.

14. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio

15. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Nice playing, but I feel for his bass player - root-note city!

RoyBGood likes this.

16. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Proof - tone is in the finger-string!

RoyBGood and Flakey like this.

17. chadhargis

chadhargis TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Correct! I've always said that bluegrass is just heavy metal on acoustic instruments.

Imagine this played through a full arena concert heavy metal rig:

18. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    One of my favorite shredders of all time is Bach:

LowThudd likes this.

19. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    I'm glad someone mentioned classical players when the topic of "shredding" comes up. It's interesting to see people posting YouTube videos of the latest 10 or 12 year old "up and coming" shredding electric blues player, saying he or she is "better than Hendix and Clapton combined!" I'll reply that there are (and have always been) young shredders tearing it up on their violins and cellos, but no one in the guitar community notices because they don't follow that style of music...

LowThudd likes this.

20. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    Shredders, I envy their technics, they are superb players, great showmen, but after 5 minutes of listening to that angry bees like style, my nerve system just shuts down...

RetroTeleRod likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.