Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

what is shredding

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LeftyAl, Jan 11, 2018.

1. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    Slash apparently does it. I must not be into this lingo.I never was very hip

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Ha ha good question!
    I wouldn't personally call Slash's style, shred, or his playing shredding, or his musical identity a shredder.

I think of the word more in terms of advanced college degree students playing at a highly advanced technical level, while at the same time possessing a comparatively retarded musical sense.

As long as the technique is more advanced than the musical artistry, it would IMO be shred.
    Once the player advances their musical/ compositional/ rhythmic/ dynamic/ emotional/ improvisational/ inventive skills beyond their technique; IOW once they know why they are playing endless streams of pedagogical regurgitation; then they might cease to be shredders.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    JLebowski, Smiff, sonicsmitty and 5 others like this.
  4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I've not thought about it quite that way. Very interesting. So it's the difference between ability and identity maybe? Being one who can shred versus being a shredder.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
  6. TheOneFatGuy

TheOneFatGuy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2012
    Sheffield
    I'd put something like this in the category of shredding: something fast and technically impressive just for the sake of being so

davidchagrin, Teleterr and Flakey like this.
  7. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah I guess Govan is embraced as a shredder by the still-living-at-home shred audience who wants to play just like him.
    But while I don't really want to listen to his music, I consider him to be a pretty brilliant player with ideas to match and make use of his formidable technique.

awasson likes this.
  8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Earl Scruggs was the greatest Shredder of all times

9. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Shredder is a derogatory term for someone who can play fancier than you.

:D:D:D:D:D

10. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Fake news!

Teleterr, LowThudd and LutherBurger like this.
  11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Slash is just blues-based rock and roll. Not shred.

If the notes go by so fast that you cannot remember them, or the progression/arrangement is purposely so complex that you cannot remember it... then you might have shred. Metal seems to go off in that direction at time, but not all metal is shred. Some jazz guys go in that direction to, but to a lesser extent. Then you get the prog crowd who completely celebrate advanced abstract technique over melody and memorability. At that point, you're just patting each other on the back.

I only know one Dream Theater song, which is Pull Me Under ... their single radio hit. It was memorable to me. But so many Dream Theater fans whom I've come into contact with shrug that song off... apparently for the very reason that I remember it - it's not overly hyper technical for technical sake.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Steve Vai shreds.

Artfully, and in a painfully thin fashion.

Can somebody buy him a sandwich for God's sake?
    :(

[​IMG]

Obsessed likes this.
  13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    It depends. Cheese or Lettuce. The technique is somewhat different. ;)

14. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Throw in some seasoned meat and a crunchy corn tortilla and you have something there!

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I'm into the soft flour type myself but you have a good point. :D

beagle and 3fngrs like this.
  16. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Playing long riffs at over 9 notes per second.

Teleterr, Flakey and Sounds Good like this.
  17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Shredding = awesome skill and technique, generally frowned upon by those who do not posses such skills and criticized (wrongly) as having no "feeling", etc.

ac15, awasson, Pixies2005 and 14 others like this.
  18. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    You got to be able to wiggle your pinky and make faces. Everything else just falls into place.

19. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2011
    La mesa
    I think the term first showed up in the early 80’s California surfing community to describe the newer breed of surfers with shorter boards and a flashy-aggressive style of attacking the wave.

It wasn’t too long before it crossed over to the Hollywood music scene to describe the new breed of post-Van Halen MIT graduates. Same kinda vibe, but applied to guitar....Flashy, ...aggressively technical.

Nearly 40 years later and it now mostly describes music/musicians that value technical expression above all else in a composition.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.