Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is note bloom?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WilburBufferson, May 1, 2015.

1. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I've always imagined it as the slope/curve of the signal from the point a string is plucked to the peak of that curve/slope when the string has reached it's maximum volume/level of vibration. Am I imagining things?

Attack?

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    I could better explain a Bumched Note due to my lack of technical training.

3. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2014
    Illinois, USA
    Note bloom occurs shortly after attack (aka the birth of the note) and before decay (aka the death of the note). It's the notes mid life prime if you think of every note as having it's own life span.
    It's all very happy, yet very sad, at the same time :D:cry:

schmee and Pixies2005 like this.

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Eric Johnson, Robben Ford, and Jeff Beck, and Trey Anastasio all can be very 'bloomy' players IMO.

You can hear it on the last note of the main riff in this song. Also around 2:25 the note he holds blooms nicely into feedback.

It is a very real phenomenon, but that wont stop manufactures from using it as a buzzword to sell more products.

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    What about the Decay and the Sustain of the Envelope?
    They are between the Attack and the Decay, what do they do to help Fertilize the Bloom?

6. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2006
    S.E. North Carolina
    Oh! Note bloom... Now I get what it means. I always called that Meow. :D

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    This is similar to what I get with my Quinn ODS. There is a little note-flipping in these. In Dumble-speak, note-flipping is the bloom that comes out an octave higher. Or maybe some would say the 2nd harmonic swells.

What is nice about this clip, is that you can hear what he does with the bloom, which involves some kind of left hand string pressure, slight bend, vibrato, or what have you. I like being able to interact with the amp in that way. If I didn't have my bloom, my approach to playing things like that would suffer. Yes, I would still sound like me no matter what amp (maybe), but in my own mind, I am playing a different instrument.

That is some beautiful playing in that clip.

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I forgot to mention that I have two so-called Dumble-type pedals, a Zen Drive and a Fuchs something OD. I will use either one if I have to play someone else's amp, but I definitely don't get any bloom.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    The first time I heard note bloom it kind of blew me away.
    I had been playing a 70 watt Pro Reverb and I was in a guitar shop listening to a guy plugged into a tweed Deluxe and playing with his fingers.
    He could work sag/bloom as well as anybody I've heard.
    I traded my ES330 for that amp and still have it today.
    This was around 1984.

Ricky D. likes this.

10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    And that's the whole point. Note bloom comes from amps, not from pedals...

11. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    In life it happens the other way around. :(

Frontier9 likes this.

12. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Short, simple, perfect.

13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Zombie thread

14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    It's hard to describe but what I think I hear is perhaps the smallest envelope as the note is struck.

15. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Bloom happens when electrons escape the crystal lattice in an OD pedal and enter the free space vacuum of a tube.

boris bubbanov likes this.

16. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I can get bloom out of a good optical compressor with a blend knob. I’ve never gotten it with an overdrive pedal itself into an amp unless the overdrive pedal was making the amp do it. And I’ve been able to do it with an ES335 as well. But that’s a property of the ES335, not the pedal.

But with my philosopher’s tone micro with the sustain turned up and the blend really low, then going into a Wampler Euphoria on the smooth setting, I can definitely get something that’s more or less indifferentiable from tube rectifier sag bloom.

So, I suppose an overdrive pedal *could* theoretically do this, since I can do it with two pedals. But I haven’t found one that did it.

My favorite bloom is the way Duane Allman always nailed the bloom just as he was bending the minor third up to the major third. That just floors me every single time.

I think the purer sympathetic resonance of the major third to the root Berry was playing on the bass (and/or Gregg on the organ) also helps there, the closer he’d pull that bend, the more it would grow. And then he’d resolve to the root. Magical.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Now I feel ill...

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Are you implying the folks who hang out here can't actually identify 12ax7 tubes by their date and manufacture just by listening to an amp for 15 seconds?

19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    This is note bloom, too bad they don't make these anymore, I think they sounded better than the feedbacker Digitech is currently making:

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    No. Just a late bloomer

boris bubbanov, Frontier9 and oyobass like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.