Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is different with pre-74 Teles?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 3 Chord, Mar 9, 2013.

1. dmeeg05

dmeeg05 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2011
    Dundalk, Ireland
    Wow, is that an american dealer? That's dearer than Irish pricing and the one I was looking at was absolutely mint! I thought you could pick up 70s fender stuff for practically nothing over there?

2. Jonny_Quest

Jonny_Quest Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2011
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I think they overpriced it a bit...but would probably settle for 20% less.
    Just guessing.
    But when you're talking 'mint'...there are not too many of those out there (of that age). The original case in 'mint' is another factor there.

You should get as much info on the guitar you're considering (photos and more) and start a thread here on TDPRI.

You'll get some very educated opinions.

3. dmeeg05

dmeeg05 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2011
    Dundalk, Ireland
    Thanks for the information Johnny_Quest!! I paid almost €3000 for my 71 a while back. It was far from mint but it was my dads old guitar and I wanted it back no matter what it cost!

Getting back on topic, I love pre-cbs guitars and think that they're the real vintages but the desirable ones like telecasters are way out of my reach. I'd still take a beat up 70s over a custom shop any day (provided it played well and sounded good)!

4. Jonny_Quest

Jonny_Quest Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2011
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Yes, it you have a chance to get that mint '73,....get to it!,....play it, examine it, post photos here,....and let the experts here help out with their analysis. I can't see a guitar like that not increasing in value.

5. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    The train has left the station on deals for old Fenders. They are increasing in value.

An original vintage Fender is a collector's item as well as a guitar.

IMO, that is overpriced by 800 or so.

6. dmeeg05

dmeeg05 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2011
    Dundalk, Ireland
    You guys are really gettin my GAS going!! lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.