Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is different with pre-74 Teles?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 3 Chord, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    Well said Bill

2. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    "Vintage = pre CBS.
    Then CBS should be a sub forum.
    Seems obvious.
    The notch should be as irrelevant as the almost Thinline routing on the late 1967 Tele's.

[​IMG]

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    But the notch (and the upper shoulder) is a real visible change to the classic Tele shape, while the routing is invisible (with the guard on) ... I guess none of us will ever win the Nobel Peace Prize ... :oops:

4. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    Not really!!
    Leo had a 10 year "no-compete" clause when he sold Fender to CBS, and was a compensated consultant. That ran out Jan 1974, the same month that Leo and two other former Fender employees, Forrest White and Tom Walker, started Music Man Instruments.(Leo was a silent investor in their Tri-Sonix, Inc for a couple of years before he was finally free from Fender in '74)
    So for me January 1974 is cut off point of Leo no longer being associated with Fender Musical Instruments in any way. Has nothing to do with build quality, weight, or changes in instruments. Just '74 Leo went on to start another company, was out of his contract with Fender-CBS, and had no plans of going back to Fender.

5. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2008
    In The Pines
    This whole discussion of "vintage" as relating to guitars is pointless and completely subjective and bordering on compulsive. They needed a cut off point for this sub forum, chose 1974 for whatever reason, end of story. Vintage is a term applied to wine not guitars. It's just a place to discuss the older Teles ( 39 years old as of now, and older).

6. Jonny_Quest

Jonny_Quest Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2011
    Manhattan, Kansas
    My tele is 37 years old,....I guess it's a 'newer' tele....

7. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2011
    Nashville TN
    "Vintage" has been used as an adjective synonymous to "classic" or "time proven", etc., for umpteen decades. I don't believe that Fender guitar enthusiasts were the first to use the word in that sense.

8. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2008
    In The Pines
    Maybe you can trade it for one two years older.

9. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I hope the OP has had his question answered ... At least some of us have tried to come up with a logical explanation.:oops:

10. Jonny_Quest

Jun 30, 2011
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest
    My tele is 37 years old,....I guess it's a 'newer' tele....

No way,....I like having a modern-era tele!

11. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    There was a discussion on here AGES ago regarding when guitars became "vintage" and I believe at the time that was the date-with some dissenters of course. I suspect Paul picked the date based on that. Nothing different about a '73 vs. '74 Tele.

12. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Except that in '73 there were still some Teles that had the original body shape (as documented by Major Gruber), while in '74 it was all gone - at least for almost a decade ...

13. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    This is the way I look at it:

1950-1964 --- Vintage
    1965-1969 --- Player Vintage
    1970-1984 --- Collectible

14. Anjo

Anjo TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Stockholm
    My March '75 Telecaster Custom have the "notch" (pictures in the post '74 forum)...

15. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yes, but those are the exceptions to the rule. Fender had a lot of that through out its history.

16. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    The notch on a 75 is not an old enough notch.

17. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    In that case it's absolutely something for Major Grubers archive.

Are you sure it's not a 74 body with a 75 neck? It happens, you know.

But as I've said a few times on this board: Inconsistency is Fenders middle name ...

18. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Fenders are production guitars. You have to be efficient and make 'x' amount of units per day to be profitable. All in all, they've done a fine job. Inconsistency is inevitable. It is interesting to know about the the production runs of the day.

Fender was, and is, a model company in making the finest, most accessible musical instruments available. They deserve to be a legendary company.

Now, you have the option of buying custom shop guitar that is carefully constructed to ensure top quality.

BTW, I rather like some of the wrong body shapes. ; )

Dan R

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

19. dmeeg05

dmeeg05 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2011
    Dundalk, Ireland
    Off topic but I was wondering what the going rate is for an absolute mint 73 blonde tele (rosewood neck) with original case and hangtags etc?

20. Jonny_Quest

Jun 30, 2011
    Manhattan, Kansas

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.