Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is different with pre-74 Teles?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 3 Chord, Mar 9, 2013.

1. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    When I bought my '76 back in 1992, I also played a '73 that was the same price in the same shop. Think pre-internet days, you know back when I for one was more focused on playing instead of surfing!

Well I bought the guitar that felt better in my hands and sounded better through the amp.

I had no idea that I was buying the inferior guitar.

2. Bluegroove

Bluegroove Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2013
    Tulsa
    Yeah, any Tele from any era can be a great guitar, depends on the wood and who has worked on it. I have many great guitars based on my tech doing his job well. Of course things like a three bolt neck don't help. One of my favorites is my '73 Thinline, three bolt and frets that are more like inlays. Only some of the older guitars are dogs, including pre CBS!

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Absolutely. But that wasn't the OP's question ...

4. Bluegroove

Bluegroove Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2013
    Tulsa
    Just stating that the age and differences don't make a huge difference overall unless we're talking dollar "value".

5. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I Fender "vintage" if it is older than I am because I'm vintage too!

I was born in '74 and I didn't have any notches, but I got a few of 'em now.

6. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    There's the upper-bout profile difference and the lip around the neck pocket on the treble side, which was trimmed-down in subsequent years. Other than that, most of what's on my '70, is pretty similar to what's on my 50s Classic - body shape, bridge, etc.

002.jpg
    70-Tele_002.jpg

7. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    notch no notch

The changing happened during the year 1972.

8. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    It started during 1972, but it took some time before all Teles had the new, "wrong" body shape.

If you read my other post, it says:

So I still think 1974 is the best year for seperating the vintage Telecaster from the newer ones ...

9. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    precision

That's interesting, and very precise, and I'm sure it's true. On the other hand, I 'm archiving almost all vintage telecaster ads on ebay since 3 years on a half, which must be near to 600 guitars now. I stopped archiving guitars after 1969 since a while because they interest me less, but still in the examples I have, as long as I remember (I can check), there's really not much "good" examples starting from 1973 (I would even bet for close to 0).

10. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    To be more precise: By the end of 1973 all Teles had the new "wrong" body shape, so the new "era" started as of 1974. That's why the Vintage Tele forum is called "pre-1974". But since the change started during 1972, that year could have been chosen as well I guess. The change of the classic body shape is still what separates the "Vintage Tele" from those who followed ...

11. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Checked!

Alright, I checked my file. Interesting result. As I told you, I stopped archiving 70's guitar except when they're in particularly good condition with good pictures. But as my first collection was going from 1950 to 1975, I have a few (if I've had more knowledge when I started, I might have consider the border in 1974, like this forum does!!!). But still I have 19 instruments for 1973 and the rate is : 14 wrong shapes and 5 good shapes. So I was wrong, it's not zero. This is an illustration of what you said. It's a good day when you learn something!

12. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    My pleasure. ;)

But really - I'm impressed that you'd collected enough pictorial documentation to prove yourself "wrong"! :lol:

I also find your posts interesting and informative - thank you Major! :cool:

13. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Thank you Telemarkman, I highly appreciate your knowledgeable comments. I don't care about being right or wrong in the first place, I just want to know more, of course. As I said somewhere else, I'll check this ash tray thing in my sources. Sometimes, photographs are ambiguous about bridge cover shape differences, so I took many different pictures of my two different ones to compare the render through lenses. I'll keep you posted, but that's another story (and post).

14. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Question

If notch and no notch can be explained by the use of two different machines, how can we explain the half notch?

Attached Files:

15. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    In Norway we love mystery stories for Easter, but this was a new one.:lol:

But if you look at the three different notches in my picture (68, 69, 71), they're all different. Probably somewhat sloppy sanding ... ?

16. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Mysteries & co

On my side, the mystery comes from the total ignorance of how this was crafted in reality. What looks the tool, how does it works, exactly why one machine can make it and not the other. I'm sure that being aware of those precise informations, the answer would be easy. If, on a side, the notch represents a few more gestures to accomplish in the process, we can guess that the person operating the machine that allows to do it might spend less time doing it according to the fact that he knows that the notch is about to be discontinued by the use of the other machine… which could explain a half notch. But that's jus the guessing of a non Fender factory worker ;)

17. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england

18. Jonny_Quest

Jonny_Quest Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2011
    Manhattan, Kansas
    hmmm,...I'm thinking of starting a 'notch-removal' service. :idea:

19. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    We can put stars on your belly, or remove them. All for a small fee!

20. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    A few points that seem to have gotten lost:

There's nothing in the title of this forum stating that this is for superior Telecasters. So your post-1974 Telecaster may well be the best example ever made.

Pick any year and criteria you like for the cutoff point and I will find you 100 forum members who will promptly post why you are wrong.

Come up with a year and criteria that all 10,000+ TDPRI members agree with and Paul will create a forum called that and you can pick up your Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo next year.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.