Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is different with pre-74 Teles?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 3 Chord, Mar 9, 2013.

1. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    Because of the body route, that makes a difference? Your kidding right!

2. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england

3. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Well, it WAS a change to an iconic design and looked uglier, breaking the line of the body flowing from the bass to the treble side. As far as the other changes, well...there are something like tens if not hundreds of thousands of posts on this forum outlining them...!

Tuners, decals, fingerboard material, finishes, pickups, position markers, cases, bridge sections, body routes, pickguard material, knobs, bridge plates, control plates...

4. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    And these changes were made when?Jan 75?
    It's the same with Gibson's-After Dec 69 they too apparently became inferior.
    It's nonsence.

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I'd say a change to the iconic Tele body design is a good reason. It didn't even have the "notch".:oops:

During 1974. This thread is about pre-74 Tele (the original body design), so it figures. No better point of time in the history of the Telecaster to distinguish "Vintage" from "non-vintage" I guess.

6. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    It has the notch,just a fret higher.The notch changed in 72/73 to half a fret higher.
    I'll post some pics.
    Vintage should mean Pre CBS.
    Or CBS Tele's should all be included or have a sub forum.

7. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    Thank you. This is where I was going,

8. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    We're obviously speaking of different "notches"...

This is what I'm talking about (the '74 has no "notch" - the others have):

[​IMG]

Which "notch" are you talking about?

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Pre '74 is fine. No need to draw the line where 99% of the people could never afford and 90% of the people have never even touched one.

10. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    I stand corected.
    I meant that small cut away reaching progressivly higher frets.
    I can see that little piece of wood makes a huge difference.
    I'll snip it off to improve tone and playability.

11. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    BTW
    Thanks for posting that timeline pic.I love that kind of info.

12. JNE

JNE Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2003
    Finland
    Not going to take part in the "what's vintage and what's not" discussion, but...
    Seen that pic before, and now that I think about it again I find this interesting.
    I have a 74 Custom and a 74 Deluxe (can't recall the neck stamp on the Deluxe, but the Custom is from September).
    My Deluxe has the similar "notchless" design to the 74 in the pic, but Custom is similar to the 71. So, did Fender convert to notchless design gradually with different models? And, when did Customs turn to notchless, then?

13. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    The first NC routers that Fender got in the early 70's were equipped with a cutter whose diameter prevented it from making the original upper shoulder curve. But since Fender used the NC router and the traditional pin router simultanously for a couple of years, you may find find both designs on those early 70's Teles.

14. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2008
    In The Pines
    Let me guess, you have a 75' and feel left out?

15. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    :D:lol::lol:

16. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    78 and 73.
    Here you can see the difference's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    There are people that would consider 80s guitars vintage. They have to draw a line somewhere and that's the area of the biggest change from the original design.

18. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2011
    Nashville TN
    I have also wondered about this. I imagine many have.

"Vintage" is a generic term. But for Fender & Gibson, to me, it has a real meaning: when Leo Fender & Ted McCarty were "at the helm" of those companies. That was certainly scuttlebutt or "known to be true" when I was starting out as a player in the early 70's. The offerings of both great makers were considered at that time to be lower in quality than they were in those "vintage" years.

So, the new cutoff point of "vintage" for teles at 1973, way after Leo was gone, seemed mysterious, until I read some of the above posts.

19. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Yeah, the more you learn about Tele history, the more sense it makes.

20. Bluegroove

Bluegroove Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2013
    Tulsa
    Plus, at 40 years old, that's "vintage" enough for most folks. You can get picky and say pre CBS or whatever but in the end it sounds like the goal was to include guitars forty and over. I do agree with the comments that most folks wouldn't spend money on a pre CBS, or even a sixties Tele. I'm just glad that my '73 thinline made it in! Haha!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.