what is a "treble booster?"

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 3 Chord, Feb 6, 2010.

1. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

What can a treble booster do for me? Do they push the input signal? Is this different than hotter pickups.

Sorry I am so dumb here.

2. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

a treble booster boosts treble

3. stlthinkin

stlthinkin Tele-Meister

Different than a normal boost or hot pickups. A normal clean boost or hot pickups will make your signal louder (and other things depending on your pickups). A treble booster does just what it says -- boosts treble more than bass.

To reap the most benefits you need to have it set up in your rig correctly, namely; connected strait to your guitar (no buffers first) and driving an already dirty amp.

Since it's boosting treble freq, if you plug it into a very clean amp, say a super reverb, you'll get a trebly tone that might sounds thin or shrill at loud volumes. But, plugging into a cranked amp what will happen is the trebles and high-mids get a huge bump in signal level, overdriving the amp more, the bass however will not get boosted and thus will remain cleaner, and will not flub out or distort as much (as can happen with a standard boost and some overdrives).

Basically you end up with a driving cutting crunchy tone, without a weak flubby bass. Most treble boosters are driven by a germanium transistor (such as the rangemaster) so while you can really cook an amp, the transistor is very warm at its core and still cleans up like a fuzz, allowing you to get all shades of dirt.

So, while it may not work with everyone's setup, don't let people tell you all you can get is bright tinny tone. The right treble booster will get you a crunchy, twangy, cutting tone that no other booster or pickup can get close to.

Sorry for the long post...much love for the rangemaster here

4. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Take it FWIW, but here's a wiki article on Treble Booster. I had one built into the circuitry of a Gretsch Rally guitar I bought in Hong Kong back in 1968. It made the guitar scream. Looking back, it was probably icepick city.:D

5. TheCheezyTeen

TheCheezyTeen Tele-Meister

To give you an example, you can compare Brian May's sound to a guitar straight into an AC30's normal channel. Treble boosters were very popular in the late 60s/70s, but until recently they seem to have been considered outdated. Worth checking out the rigs of people using treble boosters. In my opinion, it's a better way of achieving a vintage overdrive than distortion pedals and hot pickups.

PS: I'm extremely biased and I don't know what I'm talking about. But stlthinkin's post was great!

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had a Rally with the treble boost. It was only good if you're really going for that tone that nobody likes.
    A treble boost pedal is a very cool thing.
    Most are clones of the Dallas-Arbiter Rangemaster frome days of yore.
    Mark Bolan used one, as does Brian May.
    Rumor has it that some of Clapton's killer tones on the Beano album can be attributed to a Rangemaster...hence the Beano Boost from Analogman.
    Used with humbuckers and an overdriven amp, my Beano Boost absolutely KILLS. Really cuts through the mix. Even if I roll off the treble on the guitar and crank up the treble boost, it giveas a very clear, articulate sound.
    It also has a switch for boosting low and mid frequencies.
    Either the Beano Boost or the BBE Sonic Stomp is almost always on when I play.

7. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Charlie, my dad promised to stop in Hong Kong and let me pick out a guitar on our way back from the Philippines in '68. I had no idea what I wanted and I picked the rally because it was Gretsch - a name I knew and it was cool looking. Wish I had bought a Tele. or a Gent. He might not have gone for the Gent though. I traded it in on a Les Paul Fretless Wonder in '70. Don't have it either.:lol:

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yup...I traded my Rally for an ES-125TCD...I sold that a few years ago during a time of financial desperation. :(

9. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

most treble boosters actually boost the upper mids instead of the treble.

10. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yea and if you're playing a Tele you probably don't want one.

11. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

I would rather have a eq pedal than a treble booster. That way you can boost or cut whichever frequencies you want rather than whatever the treble booster is preset to boost. Or a wah pedal, you can just leave it all the way down and get a real nice treble boost that way, sounds great with certain amps, horrible with others.

I have a Danelectro 7 band eq and I like to use it to boost the mids and drive my amp a little harder.

I also have a Electro Harmonix LPB-1 that I like a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.