Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is a "Modeling" Amp?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by JayFreddy, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    No my post was not directed at your comment or any previous comment.... Just my opinion... Like everyone else posted their opinions.

I have never heard a modeling amp that didn't sound like a modeling amp.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    What Revv23 said. I use modelers all the time when I'm working on stuff in my home studio. I don't go about it as if I'm looking to nail the tone of Fender Twin serial # 78, produced on a Wednesday in June. I find a sound that works well for the song that I'm doing, and I roll with it. It's not about dialing a perfect match of anything to me, it's all about one particular color in a larger canvas.

When I'm playing just for the sheer enjoyment of making noise, I always use my tube amps. If I'm playing with others, again it's the tube amps. But in the mix of a song, you really can't tell the difference, and that's where modelers shine for me.

3. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    'Modeling' in the amp forums is a slang term that's still useful.

On my Roland cube, the choices are different amps from the past, and with my SCXD (gen. 1), the 'voices' are still amps with a certain amount of gain, or other sound influences to emulate the real deal. They serve a purpose, though I've never seen a guarantee that they will equal any given amp! YMMV...

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I'm actually very glad that there are still so many people thumbing their noses at modelers with the insistence that "they don't sound like the real thing," because that is part of what keeps the programmers hard at work on improving them. Some modelers are pretty damn close these days, and if they keep pushing to get that last five or ten percent out of them, life will be good.

5. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2010
    DC
    Here is what "modeling" (as it pertains to guitar amplifiers/plugins/apps) means to me. Using digital signal processors to

• emulate the signal processing of a network of real circuit elements (tubes, resistors, diodes, etc.)...typically from a popular amplifier (eg. Fender Twin)
    • create virtual circuit elements that perform in ways that actual circuit elements are not capable of
    • apply standard digital signal techniques like filter, delay, reverb, etc.
    • other stuff that creative engineers and musicians come up with

There can be (and most often is) analog circuitry on either side of the digital section.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.