Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What is a good tele neck pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by El Hefe, Mar 22, 2012.

1. El Hefe

El Hefe Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    co
    Hey guys what is your favorite Tele neck pickup? I need a new one for my new sx.

2. El Hefe

El Hefe Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    co
    Ok so I solder'd up my new gfs rail bridge pup a few hours ago now. And I don't know where to solder the gray bear wire? Help guys!!

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Nocaster.

Fender AV'62 Custom.

5. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    A good Tele neck pickup is an 83 MIJ stocker. A great Tele Neck pickup is an 83 USA Tele neck pickup. The best ever Tele neck pickup is a Chandler Super 60. The next best is a DiMarzio Twang King Neck pickup...

My own opinion, take it or leave it.

6. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    I like the Keystone tele neck pup from Bill Lawrence. The Twisted Tele from Fender is really nice too.

7. ludashoeless

ludashoeless Tele-Afflicted

i like my twang king.... also look at nocasters but i've never tried them

8. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

Since I either use the bridge or middle position, and never just the neck pickup by itself, I found they all work. As long as the neck pickup in conjunction with the bridge pickup get a great jangly tone, that's what I look for.

As for a stand alone neck pickup, I have never found anything other than a humbucker which gets enough output thus all the mods with a humbucker in the neck position of a telecaster.

However, the strat neck pickup as a single coil pickup is loud enough by itself but that's another thread. In cases where a strat pickup has been put in a telecaster, I can see that as a stand alone single coil neck pickup.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  9. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    #1 Keystone
    #2 Nocaster

10. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    Solder it to the back of the volume pot.

As far as the neck pup goes, you will probably want some sort of humbucker to match your GFS bridge pup. I have a GFS "Cool Vintage" Li'l Puncher neck humbucker that I'm not using. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in it.

What kind of pots do you have? GFS recommended 500k pots to go with my "Cool Vintage" Li'l Puncher bridge pup.

11. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    I love my Duff Guardsman. Also, I'd love to try the new analogman Fralin Big T...

12. natrontheape

natrontheape Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2010
    Charleston, WV
    I've got big love for the CS TX Special neck pickup. I have another tele with a Twisted Tele in the neck too. Neat tone, but lacks telecaster"ness" somewhat...

13. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Yep !

14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    This is good stuff. Thanks guys.
    I too got a new SX. Showed up yesterday.

15. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I'm in love with my CS Texas Special neck pick-up too..

16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    I love my Duff Big Boy and if I had heard the Big T before buying it, I might have bought it instead.

The Big Boy and the Big T sound somewhat similar to me. But it's kind of hard to be conclusive from internet videos. I'm very pleased with what I have so probably won't change anything. Owen maks a great pickup and is a joy to work with.

Everybody here is just sharing opinions of what we like. El Hefe, what kind of sound are you after?

17. El Hefe

El Hefe Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    co
    I want a nice clear clean neck sound. And I have the humbucker rail in the bridge for dirty stuff.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    sd antiquity neck..

19. El Hefe

El Hefe Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    co
    Is there a Tele neck pup that sounds like a p90?

20. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Rio Grande Dirty Harry

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.