Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is a good drum loop vst..

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by robert donithan2, Jun 19, 2017.

1. robert donithan2

robert donithan2 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    I have Cubasele8 and would like to know of a few drum loop vsts that will work in the daw..a vst that has basic 1950's-60's-70's rock loops..some starter (novice) and some fancier..fills and be able to alter add or tailor loops... $40-90 range...just a lot of down to earth basic beats to keep me in time sometimes when I'm learning or recording golden oldies...64bit...
    Let's include country folk rock, ballad rock, folk rock..no more than 2GB total...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

2. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Google Drumica it's free and has as many beats as you'll need for now and probably a long time

This program / samples runs as a VST and takes the tempo from what you have set in the DAW, you can either record a single track or individual drums,

A couple of shortfalls I have found is there are limited 3/4 options and no brushes

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    robert donithan2 likes this.

3. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    If you want to alter the drum parts, wouldn't you be better off with something MIDI based instead of loops?

No worries about tempo matching, etc.

You should check out EZDrummer 2. It's amazing

4. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Loopmasters has a free 1G sample pack. I have a whole lot of them that came bundled with a Focusrite interface. Haven't used them on a project yet but I was auditioning them recently and there are a lot of very nice sounding loops and samples there. I can definitely hear the potential in a lot of them. Not sure how many would suit classic rock genres, but hey they're free.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +1 Yeah, I went through the drum machines, imported drum loops and even creating my own through GarageBand, but once I got EZD2, everything is covered really, really well. I know it is over your budget and it does go on sale once in awhile, but you will be saving money, time and frustration in the long run.

6. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Beta Monkey was a very good starting point for me.

Badspike and robert donithan2 like this.

7. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    I use Superior Drummer 2, but agree that EZ Drummer 2 is worth a hard look if you can scratch up the dollars. It goes on sale for $99 or less at times, and comes with midi loops that are a great starting point.

8. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I have S2 as well, but the EZ2 upgrade was amazing!

9. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Another vote for EZD. Audio loops will be great for a week or three, then they'll slowly drive you insane. MIDI is the long-term solution — you can take those loops and alter them to fit your song.

paratus likes this.

10. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ

I'd recommend taking a look at a program called Hydrogen and some public domain or licensed midi drum sets.

Instead of a few simple loops you could write a complicated score for a piece of music or a simple one.

The program is free.

I have a laptop dedicated ( Ubuntu Studio) with Hydrogen, Rosegarden and Ardour.

jvin248 likes this.

11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I just started to Download DrumMic'a it says 14 hours I have a really fast connection that's just seems to long. Have a iMac

12. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

+1 on Ubuntustudio.org. Hydrogen runs on windows too though. Plus Audacity. LMM2 might as well but it's been a while (I'm 100% Linux for years).

13. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    It's a huge file @ just under 5G but shouldn't take that long, it runs in Kontakt 5 and that's where you set the channels up

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

14. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    I use Band in a Box Real Drummer for some songwriting tools.
    Also have one of the Magix packages that has MIDI loops when I want them.

15. Nolefinity

Nolefinity TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Atlanta

16. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA

17. Badspike

Badspike TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Feb 3, 2016
    Laveen, Arizona
    Beta Monkey has been around for quite awhile now and provide great loops for the price. The drums always sound very natural to me!

18. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    My DAW is Cubase 9 (upgraded from 8 last week). EZDrummer2 is a God send. No more drum programming headaches...stop the madness & just buy this software. Check out Ola Englund's video on programming a song in like 5 minutes with Toontrack EZDrummer & see just how easy it is to get a pro sounding drum track. You can simply import tracks as a stereo 2-channel mix, or individual drum channels into Cubase to manipulate further in your mixdown.

19. robert donithan2

robert donithan2 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    I downloaded the trial version of ezdrummer2..but after trying Cubasele elements9 trial, I discovered 5,000 or so midiloops, audio loops and presets(they are still showing up in my cubasele8).that cover what I think I want to do for now...ezdrummer2 is alright though, but $149.. I'll have to wait for a sale or find something with a smaller library.. (if that's what makes it cost)..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.