Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What is a favourite non-Fender telecaster, that you love to play?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tonyj, Feb 3, 2017.

1. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    Ach! You guys are killing me. My desert island perfect Tele - a black loaded Baja body and a Warmoth neck [roasted maple & rosewood board] with 1 3/4" nut, 16" radius and 6230 frets - "went up in flames" after 9 months. A seriously good guitar that I ended up truly hating. So much so that I took a $1200 bath just to dump it.
    Why? It was just one of those things:

Got it home from the luthier and discovered that the bridge p/u was toast. Thankfully, Rob DiStefano pulled me out of the fire by winding a lovely Cavalier Lion that was really much better than the MIM one that comes with Bajas. That guy's truly a wizard IMHO. Put in all new pots & cap + an angled control plate, Wilkinson cutaway bridge + a new nut, etc., etc . . . After all that I realized that it was never going to be "the one". Kinda like dating the Homecoming Queen until you realize that she wasn't as cool as she looked or something like that. Anyway, you get the picture.

I was so turned off by the whole thing that I didn't even come here for months but lately I'm getting "that bug" again. Not sure what to do about it being that I was bitten and now a bit shy about going down that road again. Besides, it will be real hard trying to get my wife to understand. I can hear it now, "Didn't you just sell one of those?" Maybe a hard-tail Strat would be easier to get past her . . . ;)

- - -

FWIW I would leave the bridge as it is - unless you don't play anywhere near the bridge.

2. mainepicker

mainepicker TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2015
    topsham
    20160523_204705.jpeg 20160523_204650.jpeg

My last build has spalted maple body, rosewood neck and sullivan 50's tele pups. I call her "dirty girl" because she is just nasty!!

brookdalebill and oyobass like this.
  3. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    IA
    My favorite non-fender is a Rosewood Jay Turser, like RevMike's, switched pickups with Duncan Designed is my only mod so far. I really like the neck on it, slightly rolled fretboard, very comfortable & sounds great.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    My cheap Monoprice Retro Vision T-type
    20161107_170520.jpg

6. dablues

dablues Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2007
    Lynden, WA
    IMG_0067.JPG I've had three G&L ASATs, and every one of them was/is special, even the Tribute. I stupidly sold it, because it was a Tribute and I was a snob, got a USA Special, sold it because I was going through an acoustic phase like an idiot, and just now got the one I will never part with, a USA Semi-Hollow classic. It immediately felt perfect, with craftsmanship you don't see this side of custom shop Fender. Nothing against Fender, but G&L just objectively crafts tighter and more consistently, in my experience.

7. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Holic

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    Without a doubt my Harley Benton TE-90QM Thin line :)
    It plays & sounds well above it's price either plugged in 0r unplugged. I love it to bits.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. WallyD

WallyD TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2016
    AZ
    My FGN Japan Tele is great. Nice size neck with a very modern feel. Fujigen makes great stuff. Best secret in the business.

Teleposer likes this.
  9. stratman54

stratman54 TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    My Strings and Things Of Memphis 1983 Blues Master.
    [​IMG]

musicalmartin and zippofan like this.
  10. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    IMG_1995.JPG IMG_1999.JPG My Godin Session Custom I have owned a couple Fender Tele's, American and import G&l ASAT's, but this was my favorite of them all. Just something about the necks on these just fits right. Also own A few Godin Strat style guitars and all the necks have the same radius and thickness. Very easy to switch between all.

musicalmartin and tintag27 like this.
  11. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    Spanaway, WA
    Beautiful Guitar! I was looking at the HB TE-90 Cabronita-style next, but after looking at yours, It got me wondering if a Filtertron style PU would drop right into the P-90 routs... Hmmmmm.

I'm liking my Harley Benton TE-70 black paisley. One of the nicest playing guitars I have owned, after I gave it a thorough setup. Those Wilkinson alnico 5 pickups in mine are surprisingly decent, considering a set of Tele pickups go for more than I spent on the whole guitar.
    I haven't been able to put it down.

20170124_193523.jpg

musicalmartin, horax and hotpot like this.
  12. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Holic

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK

Congrats on the Paisley TE-70:cool: I so wanted to get that model but it was around the time the £ tanked against the €uro and made buying from Thomanns in Germany a bit too expensive.:(

I've kept mine stock as like you say those Wilkinson pickups are very decent indeed, I have no trouble getting some great tones from them.Such nice guitars for the money:)

13. dobrojoe

dobrojoe TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Dorset, England
    It's always been a toss-up between my '52 reissue and my ES-335.

14. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    Partscaster built in my kitchen table! Knotty Cedar body, Spruce vintage sunburst top. Fat Warmoth neck, CS Nocaster pickups, with a paisley pickguard. I wish I knew how to upload a photo!

15. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2011
    Hampton, VA
    I kinda like these Peavey Reactors. The one on the left is an AX, the other standard (but with GFS "modern vintage" pickups). peaveys.jpg

16. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2012
    Norway
    Lentz HSL, an amazing guitar!

[​IMG]

richey88 and tintag27 like this.
  17. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2011
    Midlothian, IL
    MJT all the way for me. They have been very consistent with their product. Gears United does make great Allparts relic necks as well. Getting to pick the exact hardware and pups without some insane uncharge is also a plus. Can't see me ever buying another telecaster or "T" style guitar from anywhere else.

18. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    That depends. For these purposes, how non-Fender is a Squier, since, as the headstock says, it's still designed and backed by Fender?

On the other hand, since I gave mine the vintage nocaster treatment, only the body and neck are still Squier(and even those have been slightly modded for vintage style parts). Most of the hardware is aftermarket replacements and the pickups are of my own making.

It's also true enough that it's currently my only tele, but I love it such that it gets WAY more playing time than my strat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  19. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Wow! Love it, Fiesta Red rules, what pickups ya got in there?

20. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

May 30, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    I am always tempted by those. What are your impressions?

21. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2012
    Norway
    Lentz make their own pickups, they sound absolutely brilliant!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.