Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What is a favourite non-Fender telecaster, that you love to play?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tonyj, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Meister

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    Sure thing. Crowfoot Haggler. Spruce 1-piece body. Maple neck with pau ferro board. Lollar J Street and Special T.
    [​IMG]

2. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    No idea. It was there when I got it. Doesn't impact the sound as far as I can tell. Been toying with switching to an ashtray bridge. But I've been traveling so much I haven't had time to mess with it.

3. RevMike

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Yep. The guy I got it from did the headstock mod. He put the Fender logo on too. When I'm done traveling so much I'd like try and remove that too. Feel funny having it there knowing it's a fake.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    My only telecaster is a copy made by Vantek. I picked it up last year for $99. Apparently it's from the 1980's and was manufactured by Vantage who moved their manufacturing from Japan to Korea in the 1980's and eventually folded. There are no identification markings anywhere on the neck or body. I am only going by what very little info is out there on these guitars. When I got it from the used guitar shop it was obvious it had not been played in years judging by the condition. For a 30 year old guitar it is in remarkable shape. I did have to do some work to get it back to playing condition but it was worth the hour or so of my time.

However It's a very nice copy with a traditionally routed, full thickness light weight solid non-plywood string thru body. It's so light in weight I think it's probably basswood.

The maple neck is lovely with a nice thick slab of dark rosewood fingerboard. It seems to have the USA Fender string spacing at the bridge too. It has the ashtray style bridge with three brass barrel saddles.

I have not done anything to it except shim the neck and a complete setup. The stock pickups are alnico and sound pretty vintage like. I really like the neck pickup. The tuners and the rest of the electronics/pots/switch are junk though and need to be replaced. I may experiment with other pickups in the future. This guitar is worth the upgrade.

These pictures are from when I first got it home. Since then the saddles have been moved forward and the intonation set. I have also removed the D and G string tree and the ugly head stock decal. Sadly these webcam pics don't really do it justice. The guitar looks much better in person.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    The USACG T-Style that I assembled over a dozen years ago is my favorite guitar.

Light swamp ash body, thick 1-piece soft V neck, 6105 frets, Minwax Wipe On Poly on the body and neck with no filler or color, Fender '52 reissue pickguard and hardware with CJ Tooling steel Broadcaster saddles, Stuart Blackguard bridge pickup, Fralin Stock neck pickup and modern switching with the tone control wired like a '50s Les Paul.

The finish has aged naturally over the years. It's an old friend.

awasson likes this.
  7. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    I hear you. The only time I worry about the fakeness is if I die and the sale happens without honest me. I'll probs put something on the back of the headstock like "made by me" or "replica" or some such thing. But by then I may know how yo make my on decal, who knows...

8. RevMike

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I emailed the guy I bought it from. He said it was to eliminate buzz.

9. Superrock

Superrock Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2012
    Midwest
    old schecters i cobble up. :)
    [​IMG]

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Serious as a heart attack about this... threw a pair of Cavaliers in a Walmart pile o crap and I absolutely cant put it down!!! its so light and resonant it just kills the Chuck DiAloia sound... Wired it with a 5-way switch for the tapped Nash/Huge bridge pup... just killer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

old guitar player and awasson like this.
  11. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Meister

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I have a Harley Benton Mad Cat/Prince copy that my wife got me for Christmas. Shockingly, stupidly good guitar for the price. It could use a new nut to replace the cheap plastic one it came with, but other than that it was perfect out of the box up to and including the setup!

richiek65 likes this.
  12. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2016
    Brandon, MS
    Just finished it this week. My first Tele.

100 year old barn pine from family barn my grand dad helped build.

Musikraft 0038 neck. Don Mare 0038 pickups.

Best guitar I have ever owned or played.

I have an SG that everyone swears is the best ever and a79 LP custom that is loved by everyone as well as a 93 Strat Plus. That again is the best most have ever played.

I have been real lucky and found great guitars. But this Tele beats em all.

Attached Files:

13. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    I only have 4 Telecasters,
    but love my ESP (Japan) vintage plus tele
    top bound as it has a belly cut back
    seller put in Fralins under $500
    such a deal

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    "Non-Fender telecaster"?? I'm amazed nobody's jumped on that yet... :p

Mine's a mahogany-bodied, maple-capped, offset, contoured, 24.75"-scale mutant with a home-brew stacked HB at the bridge and a stacked HB jazzmaster PU at the neck.

But it has a 3-barrel bridge! :D

Glass Onion likes this.
  15. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    That's wonderful to be able to use wood with family history. Congrats looks great.

Glass Onion likes this.
  16. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I had a Blade Delta Standard for a while which was excellent, but I had to give it back to the original owner unfortunately. Really heavy but it played beautifully and sounded great.
    Biggest surprise in recent years has been a Harley Benton TE-52 - saw good reviews and thought it would be a decent mod platform if nothing else. But it is absolutely brilliant - I had swapped out the pickups for some Toneriders I had spare, but have gone back to the Wilkinsons it came with. Haven't changed anything else about it - was well set up, just needed a bit of a fret polish. Absurd value for money though!

oyobass likes this.
  17. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    My G&L ASAT with P-90's.

18. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    My pawnshop R&L, Locally crafted. Don't know much about it other than it is one of my favorite guitars, this sounds great and plays better or as well as anything in the stable. seen here with my Fender Nashville. Black White.jpg

19. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have 6 Tele's
    (2) Fenders: '68 and '73 thinline
    (3) PartsCasters: Rosewood Harrison, MJT Lollar CC Relic, Mahogany P-90
    (1) AsianCaster with neck-through body construction. This guitar was a real eye-opener because the only thing Tele about it was the shape. After I put Fender pickups in it, it sounded every bit as Tele as my '68. This disspells a lot of nuance in my mind when people talk about necks, bridges and saddles.

20. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida
    My barnbuster. Light as a feather, and always stays in tune. I love this guitar.

Attached Files:

21. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    Beautiful!!

puddin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.