Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What is a favourite non-Fender telecaster, that you love to play?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tonyj, Feb 3, 2017.

1. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    First of all let me say that I love all my Fender telecasters, from those Custom Shop versions to a really amazing Muddy Waters MiM tele that I like very much. I also am a big fan of Esquires too. No problems here. I just love 'em all, and yes, some more than others.

OK, I also own other tele type guitars including a gem by Tom Anderson, a gorgeous Ron Kirn tele, and a top of the line G&L Asat. Without doubt, all great guitars - otherwise they would be long gone by now. I love them too! Every one a keeper.

I do however have one guitar that I seem to pick up each morning as I crawl out of my bed. One that I noodle on before I even have a coffee, and that somehow I am subconsciously attracted to whenever I randomly pick up a guitar. Perhaps it's because I am not too worried about damaging it, perhaps not. It's just that I like this guitar so much ...... it literally gives me the goose bumps. I think it's perhaps what I always imagined a guitar - any guitar - ought to look like, in my pre GAS days.

What is it you may well ask? It is an MJT bodied blackguard with an Allparts neck. It has a RW fingerboard along with Made in Canada 'Pickup Wizard' broadcaster style pickups. It also has a 1957 bridge plate installed Yes, it is kinda special. I did trade an early sixties Gibson steel guitar to get it, a couple of years back ..... but what to say .... here it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do any other 'tele' fans out there have a guitar that just doesn't happen to have been made by either Fender or Squire, that they have a soft spot for?? Please share.

2. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    My heavily modded rosewood Tele. Started life as a Jay Turser. Reshaped headstock. New electronics and Bill Lawrence pickup. It's a cheap guitar that everyone thinks is a custom job.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Both of my critter-casters.
    My avatar, and a cheap import Schecter PT.
    I modded it with a Lollar low wind Imperial in the neck and a TV Jones Classic+.
    Both sound great!

Jakedog likes this.

4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes indeed but it has absolutely no pedigree. It's a partscaster with an Alberta made - Tonebomb body, Canadian maple with rosewood slab neck of some sort I acquired from the UK. It's got good hardware and it just feels good and rings out so nicely. It's super light but the balance is good. I'll play it for hours and forget that I have any other guitars. It's setup pretty well but I do need to take it in and have a few things taken care of. I just enjoy playing it so much, I don't want to part with it for a week to get it completely perfect.

5. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    My Chapman Guitars ML-3 Traditional, Satin Blue with my various mods... it's an excellent instrument, and to date, the only non-Fender T-Type which I own.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Another MJT, with a gigantic Allparts neck from Gears United.

[​IMG]

Literally the best tele I have ever owned. Including CS and vintage.

7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    Modded G&L Blues Boy Tribute. Replaced the neck pickup with a Duncan "Seth Lover". Control harness is now an Elek-Trix modular unit with top of the line components. Swapped the bridge to a Gotoh six saddle and gave her a Graphtech Tusq XL nut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

8. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium
    There's my Tokai TE80.

An all lacquer, one piece of sen ash with copper bridge plate, housing a DiMarzio DP114 - VT-1, attached to a 'V' neck with rosewood board. :)

9. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Another one here. My favourite partscaster is my MJT Based Fiesta Red relic with hand wound Oil City pups, below. Very light, balanced and woody with a muscular tone - great for mild dirt to scream. I also really like my ASAT Classic Tribute as alternative take on a Tele type which I picked up cheaply used. A superb guitar and not "for the money" plays as well as anything else I have at 10 times the cost.

MJT Fiesta Red.jpg

ASAT Classic Tribute.jpg

10. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    nicaragua
    My Ron Kirn is my #1 for life, cold dead hands guitar.

MickM, telleutelleme and puddin like this.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Gotta couple of 'em;
    * my 1st Telecaster was a custom order from Stephens Stringed Instruments, (the people who developed the Extended Cutaway, as seen on some Washburn guitars), in Seattle...an unfinished ash, (in tung oil), thinline, no f-hole, blackguard, push/pull pot coil splits for the stacked Tom Anderson 'buckers, (the ones used on many of their great Teles), a rosewood board, on a chunky, slightly offset, soft "V", 12" radius, slightly higher action, for slide. Very versatile, light & resonant, with sustain for days!
    * I spotted a Warmoth build on eBay, convincing the owner to sell me just the body...it was a lightly reliced, (some checking), thinline, in seafoam green. With 2 TV Jones Classics, a '69 thinline style, white pearloid 'guard & a B-5 Bigsby & a roller bridge. I attatched an all maple, lefty, Reverend neck to it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

12. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I acquired a partscaster in sonic blue, all vintage style hardware, maple on maple neck. What I love about it is the neck profile. I think it's the Warmoth boat neck, their fattest offering. It felt just a little too fat on the lower frets so I had a luthier friend do some careful shaping to have a nice, subtle taper to the neck. I refinished the back of the neck myself in tru-oil after he got it shaped to my satisfaction. I love the way it feels in my hands and it sounds great. Not even sure what the pickups are, but I think they are Broadcaster or NoCaster or the functional equivalents in neck and bridge. My other current favorite is a Squier Vintage Modified '72 Telecaster Deluxe with Mod1 Telenator WRHBs. The partscaster feels best in my hand. The Squier sounds best on stage. I really love the WRHB sound.

13. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    C'mon we want pics

14. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    For some reason I don't have a desire for a proper Fender Telecaster unless it's vintage. I started my tele journey with a Ron Kirn which I love to play but I've also learned more of what I like and don't like. Looking into a nice blackguard recreation at the moment.

15. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Maybe later-- not at home right now.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Tell us about this gray tubing you used in place of springs! :^)

17. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Wow, missed that. Good eye Mr Bubbanov!

Necessity is the mother of invention, once again. A softer tone no doubt.

Having said that, it must work!

18. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    I love that the bolt on necks can be swapped around so I do just that.
    P90 in the neck & hot SC in the bridge. Sometimes the SC is a small P90. That's my favorite.
    Strat bodies with Tele configurations. Belly & arm cuts on Tele bodies.
    JJ

19. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I got a body from Forrest Lee Jr with a B-Bender for a birthday gift to myself last year. Put Porter pickups in it. And I love it to death. Needs a new neck because the one I bought for it is ghastly.

20. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    That was a jay turser?!?!?

ultra80096 and awasson like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.