What In The World Is This Thing?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by balraggio, Jun 3, 2019.

1. balraggio

balraggio TDPRI Member

Thank you, the body is very light so all of that sounds right.

I never thought this was a vintage fender. And when I saw it I knew it was all wrong, I only went through with the trade because it seemed like a good adventure.

Andy B likes this.
  2. Heathfinn

Heathfinn TDPRI Member

The bolded phrase is what makes me think the old man was deliberately trying to deceive you. It his way of saying, "I know it looks totally off, but since a professional told me it's legit you should believe it's legit too!". I mean honestly, if he bought it twenty years ago from a local music store and took it to a tech to set up, why was its legitimacy even in question in the first place for the tech to say that? And secondly, if he bought it from a local music shop, why would he have to take it to a different tech to set it up? Why couldn't the shop he bought it from also set it up?

If he believed it to be legit, why would he feel the need to actually tell you that? I've never done a trade where they volunteered info that the guitar was legit. If they told me that without me asking, I would automatically assume they are trying to pull a fast one.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I believe its name is 'ballsweat'

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Well, if it turns out to be a dud you can always hang on to it until you get a chance to play a song by “The Who” and then smash it...

...I would...

A9DF808B-FAE2-4967-86E8-425D4CA267B6.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  5. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yikes!!!!

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

That's the first time the scare quotes around "telecaster" have made sense to me!

I have seen relic jobs I liked less and some of them cost a lot of money...

balraggio likes this.
  7. Jacobgrimes

Jacobgrimes NEW MEMBER!

This was actually a fender/squire at some point. They had those at a local shop here in southeast Texas. I wanted one but never bought one. Neat guitars. From what I remember they sounded pretty good.

Edit: was talking about the body. Not the crappy neck.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  8. Bandboy

Bandboy TDPRI Member

Pull a Townsend and smash it on stage.

9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Another poster said it earlier but it's for sure the majority of this guitar is G.F.S. I suspect the neck isn't "G.F.S." but rather purchased from G.F.S. in their factory buyout clearance section. Doubt there is one single Fender or Squier part on the one.

That being said it probably is more fun than an acoustic that was never going to be played. I hope the acoustic wasn't worth much.

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

The body looks ok, might take a lot of work to sand that crap off the neck.

11. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

I can actually speak to all of this with a high degree of certainty. I've spent the last few years sifting through tons of this stuff, hoping to develop my guitar making chops on cheap stuff that wouldn't hurt so much if I ruined it. And sunnovagun if I didn't end up with some cool stuff along the way.

Most definitely a GFS body. No doubt, I've got 3 of them. The holes are in the right places and the routes are true. The finishes are pretty good from 10 feet away. The fiesta red strat was nicknamed "Pepto" by my son. I had to sand it flat and spray some reranch and clear. The surf green strat and bound tele were OK enough to leave alone. Here's the good news though; They actually sound good. Airy like good pine with a softer attack. Worth putting good pickups in. Which leads us to the next thing...

The neck pickup is Chinese, sold as fleor and k-mise among other things. I can't tell much about the bridge pickup, but if you search ebay they sell a set that includes the neck pickup with a ceramic bridge pickup. I'd bet it's that set,$17 bucks all day long.

I have a stack of those bridges, they're $12 or so and were a happy find. Other than sanding the bottom flat I used one as is and liked it enough to buy a bunch more. They tune up good and if they sound worse than a Fender I can't hear it. And the holes are big enough to take American compensated saddles if you wish. They come without mounting screws, which explain the hardware store screws seen here.

The prewired control plate is $12 with knobs and switch tip. I've got one sitting beside me on the desk right now. So cheap I had to roll the bones and see. Looks like it should work just fine, but it's mini pots and a trace switch. I'll end up trashing everything but the plate and knobs. Live and learn.

And finally the neck. GFS sells them for $45 I recollect, you'll see them as k-mise and a few others. I bought a paddle headstock one on blowout for about $25 or so a while back. It's certainly a real cheapie, but it looks straight and the frets are actually not bad. I haven't used it yet though.

So if you're still awake, nothing but a scam. Sorry. But my pawlonia guitars have better quality necks and pickups now because they sounded good enough to be worth it. You already said you like the pickups. I'd get it set up and play the snot out of it. :)

12. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I had a friend end up with a guitar made up of "pieces-parts," sort of like this. He called the kid he got it from and asked him to give his old guitar he had traded it for back and he wouldn't call the cops. He got it back.

13. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

I'm with the others who say the body is from GFS. I ordered a pink paisley body from GFS and when I picked up the package at my front door, the box was so light I was afraid they'd forgotten to enclose the body before they taped it up & shipped it. Yep, string-through holes didn't line up so I wound up using a Squier top-load bridge. The guitar turned out pretty good though, has a Squier neck, 4-way selector, SS saddles. Just recently put a SD rail pickup in the bridge with a pop-up splitter switch on the tone control. Did I mention that I play in an Elvis tribute band?
    [​IMG]

14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A few years ago a late friend of mine and I bought several of those necks to use on various "fun builds".

They all needed a good fret dressing and good nut, and most needed finishing. But they all had ONE really nice feature that I nicknamed the "dropback peghead".

The backs of Fender and most licensed/expensive neck headstocks run from close to dead flat to 2-3 mm set back from the back of the neck (depending on the profile) - hence the need for at least one string tree to get sufficient break angle between nut and at least the first and second string tuners.

But the GFS necks we bought had headstocks that were set back 4-5mm...or more...at the nut. This eliminated the need for string trees and does wonders for those who like to fool with behind-the-nut bends. Never had a problem with one - and never paid more than $50 plus shipping (and usually bought other stuff at the same time).

15. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Reminds me:
    When I was about 8 I got a "Woodburning Kit" for Christmas. It had an iron (almost like a soldering iron) you plugged in with various tips to burn designs into wood.

A few things:
    Can't remember who gave it to me- probably parents.
    Not a good gift to give to an 8-year old pyromaniac (I outgrew that pretty quickly much to my Firefighter Father's relief).
    I burned myself many times trying to change the tips too soon.
    I can still remember the smell of the pine "pictures" provided with the kit as they smoked....

Anyway, yeah. That is a guitar.

16. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

It's a "Yelecaster".
    It says so on the headstock.
    They're very collectable, like Dimble amps & Clon Kentaurs.

Stick an eBay Squier Tele neck on it & you're good to go.

17. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

Please finish the quoted sentence from the OP above with:

...... got screwed with the worst fake anyone clueless could be fooled by. Congrats, you are the new champion.

18. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

They should have "touched" the whole Fracken thing ..... until it resembled a Charcoal Briquett.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  19. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I can see why so many think the body is GFS. I’ve been thinking about putting together a Paulawania partscaster for a lightweight gig/jam beater. I think the black/gold paisley body they sell is better looking. Something just don’t look right about their pink and blue paisleys to me. GFS also has paula bodies with pearliod in the top which looks cool in a Italian kinda way.

I’ve had some ugly parts guitars that ended up being good players but that neck looks... suspect, especially that nut. I don’t like the poor mans roasted maple neck. If you reworked the nut and lightly sanded it and put a oil finish on it and reset it which it probably needs the truss rod adjusted you might make something out of that neck although the more I look at it the more I think a new neck is a much better fix .

I bet a better neck and giving the electronics a going through and i would bet you it’d make a player.

The XGP bodies that GFS sells are actually very good. I’ve used a couple and everything lined up and the finish wasn’t bad. I haven’t tried the XGP necks but they look good. I like the 12” radius they use.

Just a quick edit here: I think he got the decimal point wrong on the price. It’s not a $500 guitar, I would think $100 would be a more reasonable price although I’ve picked up guitars for $50 in the same league.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's my Paisley Partscaster...just sayin'

1021181022a_resized.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.