What if somebody in the band is a better frontman?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by charlie chitlin, May 20, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

a great man once asked,
    "is you hall or is you oates?"

MarkSmith76 and Jim622 like this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Lotsa good stuff to think about, here.
    Thanks for taking the time.
    It's hard for me to see these things objectively because I live in a major metro area and, brutally frankly, would never bother to go out and see a 3rd rate band like mine...but I'm sure glad lots of folks feel otherwise!
    In support of a 2nd front, I think you should be REALLY good before you inflict your singing all night on a crowd, and I'm hoping to find a good way to mix it up a little to keep things interesting.

teletimetx and t guitar floyd like this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Been there... I am "the keef" in my band I rule how we play, I play guitar, sing, write songs with my "Ron wood" thew other guitar player. I jump, shout at the public, do the duck step like chuck berry... then we had a harp player that started doing the chorus thing... oh my, he is better singer... oh my, he is a better frontman.... so he started singing instead of me. I am more rocker he is more bluesman

Now... what should I do? sack him because he is better? The band now is better, I can focus in the guitar and doing chorus. I still sing some songs as the other guitar does but the band is better and I can dance and play instead as you have been told, being tied to the mic

Well, 20 years after I know we did the correct thing. We have a great band and we are all great friends.

Don't bother, embrace

SecretSquirrel and Fiesta Red like this.
  4. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I do a lot of the singing in my band and I'm really getting too old to sing all night long. I would be happy if we had another good singer who could take over some of the lead vocals.

5. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Guessing you're not a Deadhead, huh? Two (or more) frontmen is not only a possibility, but is actually all the more entertaining. I'm willing to bet that you'll both appeal to the audience in different ways. Just support each other and play to the song. When it's his turn to "front" the band, be the best supporting musician you can...I'm sure he'll do the same when it's your turn.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Let the best be the one. Give him some leash and see if he really can stay between the lines though...

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not clear on what you mean by "Frontman." Are you the guy who talks to the audience, tells jokes, introduces the band and reminds the patrons to tip their wait staff or are you the "star" of the band, the main singer, lead guitarist?

I've always played in collective sorts of bands where different people sang, there was more then one soloist and so on. I liked passing the torch around over the course of the gig and the audience seemed to liked it too.

8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Do you want it to be YOUR band, or do you want it to be the best band it can be? Roger Daltrey was a great frontman, but The Who was really Pete Townshend’s gig. Of course, there’s also Brian Jones...

Jim622 likes this.
  9. charlie chitlin

All that and treasurer, songwriter, arranger, gig booker, PA schlepper....

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Got it. So you're the "Bruce" and he's the "Clarence." Without seeing you interact, it's kind of hard to call it. I guess it depends on what you want the band to be. If his stuff adds to the band, give it a go. But if it diminishes it, or you feel like you're being squeezed out of your own band, you might want to keep him on a tighter leash.

11. charlie chitlin

Which one's Pink?

getbent likes this.
  12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

It's totally cool to tell the guy you really like what he does, and you'd like to share the stage with him. It's okay to be totally honest and say that you enjoy doing some of the singing and aren't ready to let it go, even if you have very different styles

13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

You sound as though you are worried.

Go through all the possibilities and see where you come out.

Your Band, Your Tunes, if that is what you book, stay with it.

This guy might leave for greener pastures, would your Bandmates follow?
    How would you replace him and those who leave?

Whatever you do, keep your cool.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Let him loose on a few tunes and check the audience reactio . Then take it from there. It can't hurt to have some variety

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

+1

16. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

To me, it's not even a question. Whoever is stronger musically in the singer/frontman role does it, and it's the other guy. If it is really "your" band, and everyone else knows that, then of course you can do what you want if that is your goal, as it would be for many people. You can have a band that's less strong musically but more fun for you, if your heart is in fronting. Personally, I wouldn't do that and never have -- I keep it easy on myself and my ego by always deferring to what leads to the most compelling music.

Jim622 likes this.
  17. charlie chitlin

If he sang like Bobby or Brent, I wouldn't let him near a mic. ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  18. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

If you're a professional band (this is your living), you put every player where they are the best at what they do. If you put this time and effort into the band simply because you love to do what you do, then you should do what you love.

19. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I was gonna suggest getting him hooked on, uh, something, and make sure you're his source so he's dependant on you. But, this is a family board, so let's just say that 'something' is success.

Write to his talents. Make that the act. Push it as far as you can go with it. Make him dependant on you as the person who knows how to make him successful. Be that team, and know your place in it.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  20. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Hey now...Bobby fans are people too!

charlie chitlin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.