What if somebody in the band is a better frontman?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by charlie chitlin, May 20, 2019.

1. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Exocannibalism (from Greek exo-, "from outside" and cannibalism, "to eat humans"), is the consumption of flesh outside one's close social group—for example, eating one's enemy. When done ritually, it has been associated with being a means of ... acquiring the strength and ability of a defeated enemy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exocannibalism

Good luck!

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

is there such a thing as too much sax?

aerhed, bazmusicman and MilwMark like this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

... pay the man, Shirley.

t guitar floyd, getbent and Jakeboy like this.
  4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Not if it's done properly .
    Charlie , let it roll in order to see what kind of legs it could have . You can always pull the reins back should you see trouble .
    Of course , I am the guy that sees a glass that could be full instead of the limitations of half full or half empty .

getbent likes this.
  5. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

You have some kinda great problem there, brother....mist of us would give our eye teeth for a great dynamic front man.. now your band has two. Give him some lead and see what develops...it could be the things that explodes your band wide-open in a very good way. Play off that sax with your guitar. You are gonna have a great time.

6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

2 good frontmen is better than none

Whatizitman likes this.
  7. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Only 1 front man. - 2 is confusing communicates there is a power play going on.

Let him be the frontman in your band else he will end up being the frontman in his own band anyway.
    Recognise a gifting and let it shine, you will benefit in the long run.

My £0.02.

8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

"I say give him some head, see what develops, maybe things find a natural level."

Uh, what?

9. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I'm glad someone else spotted this. I hope its a typo or means something else in the poster's language/location!

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Mick is the better front man.

Keef is the leader of the band.

Apply whatever wisdom in those two statements you may glean.

11. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

I'm fascinated by this problem. The advice about giving it time is usually right. People can surprise you, for good and ill. I see this every semester with my students. Sometimes the big personalities don't go the distance. That's not a rule, just an observation.

One more thing: do you like to sing because the ladies like a singer? Be honest with yourself.

12. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I agree with this. It has been proven to work for some bands.

13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

My favorite bands often have more than one singer who share leads with harmonies. Less trading, and more sharing. Do that. Do your songs allow for easy harmonizing thirds and fifths? Start there. Yeah.

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

An audience member can recognize why Frey, Henley, Meisner, Walsh or Schmit took the lead on their respective songs...and it really added to the Eagles’ appeal. Not that it wasn’t a chore backstage, or frustrating for Felder.

if you look at it strictly in terms of broadening the appeal of the band, it’s hard to see a downside to adding an appealing/energetic/capable frontperson.

Furthermore, you have already processed this enough to pose a brave and uncomfortable question, and it sounds like you’re capable of being objective about who performs which material best...so what’s that leave? Can you work with the guy and treat one another with due respect?

No condescension intended. Impressed with your tackling of this situation and perspective on it.

15. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I don't think the role of "frontman" is any more relevant than having "lead guitar" and "rhythm guitar". There's no need for such restrictive roles and titles. As long as the rapport is good between the two of you and you're all professionals, just let it happen.

Ron R, Marc Morfei and ecoast like this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

There is a documentary on one of the streaming services about the band Chicago. Apparently, in that band, whenever a new song came around there was a sing-off between the vocalists to determine who would front it. That was pre David Foster as producer.

17. Heathfinn

Heathfinn TDPRI Member

I agree with the two lead approach. As others have stated, it's worked for some of the biggest bands ever. Beatles, Eagles, Grateful Dead...

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    ecoast likes this.
  18. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

When the other guy is really bringing it, nod approvingly and smile, knowing that you gave him this opportunity. Other people might get the impression you taught him everything he knows but are just humble. Frank Zappa had Steve Vai on "stunt guitar" and Ike Willis as charismatic lead singer and semi frontman.

Rick Estrin was frontman for Little Charlie and the Nightcats. Charlie never said a thing.

19. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Ahhhh - you've been at this a long time now, I'm surprised it hasn't come up before. We're about the same age, and in the last 15 years or so we've had the "same" band, but the only thing that remains are the two main fronts. We're generally 5, sometimes 6 and have had some great players come in and out for various reasons, and each and everyone of the second guitars or keyboards have been terrific - bringing their own thing to the gig, and giving us 3 fronts so to speak. We know every one of the folks are generally going to be visitors, most about 2-3 years (been a little luckier lately with drummer and bass), and it's actually cool to have it organically develop. They figure out you, you figure out them and give them room, and it'll work most of the time. If it won't, you'll also figure that out soon, and you'll still part as friends instead of a festering battle. I'll be watching to see how it develops for you!

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

An outstanding band member joined.... and you are debating it..

Onward and upward... if he’s genial and not an ass, treat it as a gift and make the best of it and make better music.

MarkSmith76 and Heathfinn like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.