Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What hot pu's for coil-tap option, push/pull volume control

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by TBuck, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TBuck

TBuck NEW MEMBER!

Jul 9, 2017
    NYC
    What hot pickups should I get for an Affinity Tele if I want to coil-tap one or both pickups, to be controlled with a push/pull volume switch? I don't know whether both pickups can be wired to switch between tapped and normal at once with just a push/pull toggle, but surely one can. I want a nice classic clean tone from the coil tap, but hot pickups for a strong signal also seems like a good option to have. Can that be wired so that both pickups can be switched at once with a push/pull volume pot? What (budget...GFS?) pickups come set up for coil tapping? Maybe the basic question is, what kind of classic tele tone can I get from hot (+noiseless?) coil-tapped pickups?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

2. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    "Budget" and "coil tap" may be mutually exclusive. Look at Cavalier pickups by Rob DiStefano. He's got different flavors of tapped pickups. www.frettech.com

TBuck and Nickfl like this.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

This is a MIM HH turned into an Esquire. Look for this red/black zebra pickup set on ebay ($15/set). The bridge is 16kohms and neck 8kohms with ceramic magnets so hotter all around. I pulled a famous aftermarket brand pickup from this guitar to put these in as I like the tone here a lot better. Unwrap the bobbin tape and solder on wires to both bobbins then wire to a 4-way blade switch as is here, or a 3-way toggle on/on/on.

BlacknTort_Tele_170114sm.jpg

TBuck likes this.

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Seymour Duncan makes their Quarter Pound Tele pickup in a tapped version. I've owned several over the years. The tapped position is not a true Tele twang; the fat poles and lack of a metal baseplate give it its own sound. However, it's sound is a very good single coil tone, quite distinct from the full coil.

The full Quarter Pound is a beast. Very fat, almost to the point of getting buried in the mix. Great lead tone, very good at driving the snot out of amps or dirt boxes.

Its price is in the mid range, not Chinese-cheap but not booteek expensive, either. I think they're about $75. The "tapped" option cost a few bucks extra.

You can tap two pickups with a single push/pull pot, just make sure the switch is a DPDT.

Dang. Now I wish I had another Tele to put a Quarter Pound in.

TBuck likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.