Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

What hot pu's for coil-tap option, push/pull volume control

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by TBuck, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TBuck

Jul 9, 2017
    What hot pickups should I get for an Affinity Tele if I want to coil-tap one or both pickups, to be controlled with a push/pull volume switch? I don't know whether both pickups can be wired to switch between tapped and normal at once with just a push/pull toggle, but surely one can. I want a nice classic clean tone from the coil tap, but hot pickups for a strong signal also seems like a good option to have. Can that be wired so that both pickups can be switched at once with a push/pull volume pot? What (budget...GFS?) pickups come set up for coil tapping? Maybe the basic question is, what kind of classic tele tone can I get from hot (+noiseless?) coil-tapped pickups?
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

2. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    "Budget" and "coil tap" may be mutually exclusive. Look at Cavalier pickups by Rob DiStefano. He's got different flavors of tapped pickups.
    TBuck and Nickfl like this.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

This is a MIM HH turned into an Esquire. Look for this red/black zebra pickup set on ebay ($15/set). The bridge is 16kohms and neck 8kohms with ceramic magnets so hotter all around. I pulled a famous aftermarket brand pickup from this guitar to put these in as I like the tone here a lot better. Unwrap the bobbin tape and solder on wires to both bobbins then wire to a 4-way blade switch as is here, or a 3-way toggle on/on/on.

TBuck likes this.

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Seymour Duncan makes their Quarter Pound Tele pickup in a tapped version. I've owned several over the years. The tapped position is not a true Tele twang; the fat poles and lack of a metal baseplate give it its own sound. However, it's sound is a very good single coil tone, quite distinct from the full coil.

The full Quarter Pound is a beast. Very fat, almost to the point of getting buried in the mix. Great lead tone, very good at driving the snot out of amps or dirt boxes.

Its price is in the mid range, not Chinese-cheap but not booteek expensive, either. I think they're about $75. The "tapped" option cost a few bucks extra.

You can tap two pickups with a single push/pull pot, just make sure the switch is a DPDT.

Dang. Now I wish I had another Tele to put a Quarter Pound in.
    TBuck likes this.

5. pawleep

pawleep TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2014
    what about a HB103 or HB108 for tap-able bridge on a firebird clone?

6. hippychip

hippychip TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I bought a Tele because I wanted it to sound like a Tele---once you start putting humbuckers in it it ceases to be a Tele---don't give me any of the "purist" crap either. It's never going to sound like a Les Paul or a PRS---sell it to someone who will appreciate it for what it is, and buy something else!

7. pictacado

pictacado Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2013
    Your world is really small, isn't it?

8. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

There may be a little confusion here. I think OP is talking about coil-taps. Single coil pickups where you can either use the full winding or connect in the middle of the windings. This is different from coil-split. In the case of coil-split we're typically talking about a side-by-side humbucker pickup where we turn off one of the coils to get a thinner single coil sound. You can also do this with vertically stacked humbuckers like DiMarzio Area pickups, in which case you would shut off the coil further away from the strings, but that usually isn't called for. (This is also different from wiring a humbucker in parallel instead of series. I like this option a lot for traditional humbuckers because going from series to parallel sounds a LOT like going from full series humbucker to a split coil, but you still get humbucking.)

I've never tried them but everyone 'round here says Rob DiStefano makes great pickups for the $$ including pickups with coil taps in them. As far as wiring goes it should be absolutely possible to engage the taps on both pickups with a single push pull. Alternatively, you have two pots-- volume and tone. Replace with two push pulls and the volume knob can engage the tap for the neck pickup, and the tone knob can engage the tap for the bridge pickup. I really like push-push pots even better for this type of application. Push it and it pops up. Push it again and it goes down. You can hit it with one finger, or your palm and it will pop up into the other position. You don't need to grasp it and pull it up.

If I were buying I would get a combo of the Huge Lion and maybe Fat Lion. As far as neck pickup goes I think I wouldn't bother with coil tapping but I would ask him for something that matches nicely. Probably one of his uncovered models.

9. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Good point. I have not tried them, but heard good things.

For budget, Dragon fire has some tele size rail HBs with 5 wires for coil tapping. I haven't used them, but at $40, it might be worth a try.

11. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    UK hand wound pickup company Oil City has a pickup named Diesel Tap which is especially designed for a tapped single coil. Excellent pickup tapped and untapped.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.