Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Have We Guitarists Done To Ourselves?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, Oct 1, 2017.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I agree with Larry F about the note choices, but IMHO another problem is just the mixing. It seems to me that if the band has vocals everything needs to be tempered off of them. I saw a band a couple of nights ago. Drums and one of the guitars were way too loud compared to the vocalist, bassist and second guitarist. It wasn't because of a lack of equipment because this was a pro cover band in Downtown Disneyland.

2. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ
    Sorry, but in my experience, that kind of pedigree is usually going to leave something to be desired.:twisted:

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Yeah, that's always been considered something of a Mickey Mouse operation.

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    In my experience, the bigger the pedalboard, the less I enjoy playing with the guy

5. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    This is why I ultimately turned to bluegrass music. Over time, electric guitar became too synthetic to me. Too many pedals and amps and knobs and switches. Now I prefer entirely acoustic music. Wood and strings. Bluegrass is much more about the music and much less about the gear. (To that end bluegrass is also much more about the community and the camaraderie...in the bar bands I was in, it was always about the venue, the beer, the drummer's girlfriend, the bass player's work schedule, the singer's antics...I grew to hate it all.)

But I still love it here.

richiek65 and rebelwoclue like this.

6. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Yeah, but the weren't in the amusement park. They were outside at the ESPN Zone place. I just walked passed them, but is was easy to tell that no one had any real control over the mixing.

7. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Possibly, and as you say that would be a good reason to use effects. Maybe they were playing U2 or Floyd songs and tried to emulate The Edge's or Gilmour's tone. Or they could have been covering a My Bloody Valentine song. Actually probably not that last one.

There are also originals bands where the guitarist is trying to create an interesting sonic experience through signal processing. That's great.

At the same time,there are a lot of cover bands out there that don't have a clue and the guitarist thinks it's cool to play Folsom Prison Blues with chorus. It's not of course.

Fiesta Red, thegeezer and suthol like this.

8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Disortion is usually the main culprit. I sometimes play with a guy who soaks everything in distortion. But even when it's appropriate a little goes a long way. The audience's imagination will fill in the rest.

More distortion (and, yes, any other effect) = less clarity and volume. A hint is usually all you need.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    "Cool" is subjective. I'm okay with breaking the rules of music.

10. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    The solution: guitar - cable - amp!

Pappy Yokum and Robert H. like this.

11. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I've gotten a few compliments on my tone...while running different amp, guitar, and pedal set-ups.

A pedalboard with two different ODs, a distortion, and a delay into a DRRI got compliments, as did the same board (without the distortion) into an AC30 clone.

But I've been told I got great sounds out of a Mustang III (by two different guitarists at the same time.)

What are you playing and who is your audience? And have a decent sound guy.

Vespa_One likes this.

12. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2011
    Opelika, AL
    I thought that only happened in the bands I was in!

I'm of the opinion that too much signal processing just makes for sonic sludge. A modeling amp is fine and a lot of guys pull it off while a lot of others don't always fare so well. I have one amp hooked up to a multi-effect to handle delay, reverb and even rudimentary amp modeling (through a little solid state Vox), while the other is guitar, cord, tubes, speaker. Some times one is more inspiring than another.

I've started down the rabbit hole of amp building and modifying to try and get that ONE sound that I want....the one I usually hear in my head. Most likely though, the limiting factor is me and not my gear.

awasson likes this.

13. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I agree with that. Some people can’t seem to dial in a good sound, even with good gear. Sure, it’s subjective but music is subjective anyway.

Frodebro likes this.

14. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    There was a Kevin Costner movie about golf, I forget the name, but he was a good golfer that lost his swing. There was one scene where he was so hooked up to machines he looked like a cyborg trying to get it back. Guitarists are no different. Always looking for an edge. In reality, all of us with practice are pretty good players. If we just plug into an amp and let it go. I went pedal free a while ago and am a better player for it.

brookdalebill likes this.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I see that you graciously “liked” my reply to this post, yet I just realized I totally missed your point. I was talking about gear and you weren’t.

Oops!

Having said that, now that I know what you were saying, I also agree with you that it’s not really (mostly) about gear either.

16. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    YES. That's what I'm talking about. YERK. They sounded yerk. THAT's what we've done to ourselves. Where did you get that word, anyway?

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Modeling amps are a two-edged sword; yes, they offer a ton of great sounds, but people are sometimes inclined to use too many of them at once. Just pick a great amp and cabinet model, a delay or reverb, and tear it up.

18. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    I speak french, yerk is probably something french...

19. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    What do you call 100 lawyers and 100 digital guitar amps at the bottom of the sea?

A good start.

Teleterr and GoldDeluxe5E3 like this.

20. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    It is very strange to hear a band in a very small bar/coffee shop playing quietly and the guitar is drenched in distortion (originally associated with loudness) and echo ( originally associated, I presume, with a large echoey venue).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.