Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What has become of Gibson???

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Marn99, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2009
    scotland
    That's a load of ****e and you know it!

since 1963 likes this.

2. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Oct 15, 2011
    Littleton, CO

withdrawn!

3. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK

Ah you have the Custom shop model .I heard they took some of the worlds best luthiers ,locked them away and screamed at them for a year until they could make these models .Their unmarked graves are scattered at crossroads though out the south to add extra mojo to the line .

since 1963 likes this.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    This is what a Gibson should look like TO YOU.

Sure, it's a nice top, but not the one I'd buy. Each top is unique, and there's someone who loves each one, most likely. For example, I really like to see some N-S grain, and a bit of mineral streaking or inclusions take the cake.

Just like everything on here. It's an opinion.

MilwMark likes this.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    And I like plain tops.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yeah, only because you can't afford a better one.

:twisted::lol::lol::lol:

I do hope you realize this is irony. :):D

ickylick likes this.

7. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    One of easiest ways to identify Chibsons is from the quality and consistency of the maple cap.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Hell, I can't even afford a plain-top!
    And that is NOT irony. :oops:

But I did have a Yamaha Studio Lord for a while that was pretty nice (for a boat anchor with a long stick attached), and it had a plain top. Not a fan of the ritzy figuring. I've only got one guitar like that, and it's very idiosyncratic, not bookmatched at all.
    [​IMG]

Southpole likes this.

9. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I went through a PRS fuelled flamed and quilted maple top obsession some years back but I'm making a good recovery with a little help from some T-style friends. Still got this Custom 22 which is kind of my alt Les Paul. 3D flame can be addictive . . .
    IMG_0514.JPG

Attached Files:

since 1963 likes this.

10. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

You've got to be kidding. I get that you fawn over tops but this myth is just that...a myth.

There was a small shop in Chicago and the guy sold "Chibsons" (at Chibson prices) out the back. We got a few in for work when I did an apprenticeship. LOL. Metric nuts, veneers, "made in usa" stamps on seemingly historic models, cheap plastics binding and parts, cheap low grain density mahaogany wannabbee species, low end waxy "rosewood," not a hint of nickel on the hardware etc...etc. They aren't Chibsons...They're Chepiphones. They're very easy to spot, no, no one is getting a Gibson spec guitar for a few hundred bucks from China..you get an Epi without a warranty at best.

The moral of the story is it's not cheap to follow Gibson spec even when the guitar is built in China. For example, Eastman has a darn good Les Paul style they just introduced, made in China, and it comes out to street price of $1500 +.

The fakes that fool people are of two kinds..actual 'burst copies built by serious luthiers or re-veneered MIJ Lawsuit guitars which you can still spot by routing of the pickup cavities & other details.

GuildX700 likes this.

11. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    I'm a fan of flame tops on LPs when they're on point. And I know the pics don't show all the intricate details of your top, but I personally can't see what makes yours better than other flame tops (besides not having defects).

If you have an example of what you think is a poor/inferior Gibson flame top, that would help in comparison. I totally understand how you searched "years" for a "good one" (I'm still looking for the right LP myself) but I'm just trying to see what you see.. I don't see it. o_O

MilwMark likes this.

12. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I'm not kidding. Quality of the veneer obviously not the only way to detect a fake but generally much easier to determine than metric nut width or from cavity routes. Especially for online buyers. Not everyone gets the chance to pull them apart. Some Chibson websites allow you to up spec your order and use nickel plated parts etc.

13. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

From what I hear Gibson makes some of the best and worst guitars out there. And probably always will.

since 1963 and dlew919 like this.

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Looked for years for THAT? I've seen FAR better than that, it's very nice but not breath-takingly jaw dropping.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Glad you love it. Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate why you would love it. Are you a woodworker/painter by chance?

16. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2016
    London
    In defence of chibsons..... I presently have one, a gold top, one piece mahogany body, one piece neck. It has flaws in the paintwork, it doesn't have fret binding (though the body binding is good), and the electrics, and routing were a give away. However, proper set up, sort out the electrics and put in some boutique P90's, and this thing sounds as good as, and some ways plays better than my real LP. I know it's luck if the drawer, there are some dreadful renditions out there, but this is several steps above any epiphone, which actually did feel cheap and made of balsa wood in comparison.

17. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Recently I was at a guitar repair shop. On the bench was a Chibson that had been brought in for top quality hardware fit out (mainly genuine Gibson parts). It may well end up sounding good as per Kojoflo's post above. However the base Chibson wasn't that cheap and once the hardware upgrades added to the cost it would have been as cheap to buy a real Gibson LP Standard second hand.

GuildX700 likes this.

18. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    From my experience Gibson often hits low points, right now most of them seem good, but I shure ran across a lot of questionable ones 12-14 yrs ago.
    That's just a statement on quality.
    Other things are design and changes they've done.
    Forget about robot tuners, ugly headstock markings,
    And odd new models.
    I think most of us , if we were honest, just want Gibson to make the same thing they always used to.
    We don't need to re invent anything.

19. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Bring back the Corvus!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.